Home Sports Talk

Vintage Baseball on ESPN

Did anyone watch the vintage baseball game played on July 3rd from Pittsfield Massachusetts?

I was really hoping it would be like watching a game from 1886, but I don't think they pulled it off. I watched for about 3 innings and lost interest, saw the last inning of the game on the replay the next day and still was not interested. I wanted the announcers to give more history about what the game was like then. When something happened like a tag up at third, I wondered if they had that rule in the game then. Didn't they have a rule that you could throw the ball at the runner to get him out? Or was that rule abolished by this time(1886)? I kept wondering things like this, but these kinds of questions were never answered.

I guess this was an event that you had to be at to enjoy.

Any other thoughts?
Always looking for T59 Flags.

Comments

• AkbarCloneAkbarClone Posts: 2,476 ✭✭✭
    I watched it--and they did put up on the screen multiple times the main differences in rules. I enjoyed watching them make all those errors due to the tiny handgloves they were using. Also liked the fact that the umpire was positioned about 15-20 feet away from home plate and smoking a cigar. Also liked when the pitcher beaned the batter in the first inning, and according to the rules it didn't matter--he had to continue his plate apearance as if nothing had happened. (They mentioned that Pedro would have loved to pitch with that rule).

It was definately interesting to watch.
    I collect Vintage Cards, Commemorative Sets, and way too many vintage and modern player collections in Baseball (180 players), Football (175 players), and Basketball (87 players). Also have a Dallas Cowboy team collection.