Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Isabella Quarter Commem frustration!!!!!!

keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
Ever looked for a coin in a grade/price you wanted and met with total frustration trying to find a nice one?? That's where I'm at with an Isabella Quarter. After looking at shows and online for the past 18 months it seems there are two kinds, really nice and really bad, with very little in between. Sometimes it seems I've looked at the entire extant population and it's starting to gross me out seeing all the cleaned examples posted at eBay as BU's or AU's or pristine this's or that's.

I just gave another look at the past two days listings on eBay and at least one seller had the guts to say his coin had been cleaned, as if viewers wouldn't be able to tell!!! So many of the sellers doctor their pictures to try and hide the telltale signs, primarily the abrupt color/texture change where the fields meet devices or lettering.

With regard to the two extremes in quality, it would appear that collectors from the past either cared for the coins properly and they made it to the present with nicely toned surfaces or they were subjected to rub and the cleaning cloth. The price jump from AU to low MS grades is modest, but starting at MS64 the value climbs quickly. I'm wondering why there aren't more MS60-63 coins which aren't brilliant or darkly and unattractively toned. It's sad that such a nice design in the unique commemorative denomination of twenty-five cents has been so abused.

But, I shall continue to hunt. The ANA offers me hope.................and probably a lighter wallet to boot!!!

Al H.image

Comments

• Options
    LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,681 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah Al, although I haven't been at it as long as you have, I have been looking for a replacement for the au that I have for about a year.

It's amazingly difficult. The really nice ones are pretty tough, and very expensive and the crummy ones are just that.
  • Options
    IrishMikeIrishMike Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭
    Keets there is a dealer in my area that only shows up for the monthly show in South Bend, but he has had two raw ones for sale for at least the past three years. They both appear to me to be nice coins, however I have examined them closely. This guy has to be 80 years old. I'll ask him the next time I see him if he will let me snap a couple of shots.
  • Options
    tmot99tmot99 Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭
    Maybe this is what you had in mind.... I just got this today.

To see a larger picture, click here

Tom

• Options
    stmanstman Posts: 11,352 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Please... Save The Stories, Just Answer My Questions, And Tell Me How Much!!!!!
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,949 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ever looked for a coin in a grade/price you wanted and met with total frustration trying to find a nice one??

Why would anyone want a coin that's easy to find?
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    scherscher Posts: 924
    they are out there..ive got a couple of real nice ones..kind of light pastel toning on both of em..ive seen pretty isabella's in 63/64 up..keep searchin
    bruce scher
  • Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Keets,

I dont even buy commem's but saw anice one last week in a shop the guy had priced at Ms-60 money, It looked extremely nice and full of original luster with prephiery light toning. Similar to TOM's posted coin, but a little lighter. I have it pegged to grade MS-63, several have told me it will grade higher min 64? Its on it's way to PCGS as we speak!

jim
  • Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    hey guys, nice coins and comments. i'll keep looking and i know i'll eventually wind up with a coin that pleases me.

keep posting pictures of the end to your own personal hunts.

al h.image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file