Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

how to clean a flying eagle cent?

Hi gang, i just recieved my raw (I know ) 1857 flying eagle cent. It looks to be in good shape with the exception of a layer of black crud on the surface. i do not se any pitting just this layer on the obverse. the reverse has some but not near as much as the obverse. Can someone tell me how to clean this off or would it be better to send it in to NCS? i would rather not have a slabbed coin (my intention)labeled cleaned but whcih is a better method?

BTW this is for my collection and not to sell.

Ken

Comments

• Options
    Im the kinda kid who would leave it alone.
    Scott Hopkins
    -YN Currently Collecting & Researching Colonial World Coins, Especially Spanish Coins, With a Great Interest in WWII Militaria.

My Ebay!
  • Options
    ldhairldhair Posts: 7,121 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sorry but I don't think you will find a way to help the coin.
    Larry

• Options
    i thought about leaving it alone but i decieded I wanted to see the obverse detail better right now unless you look at it at an agle with light you cannot see too many details.
  • Options

<< <i>i thought about leaving it alone but i decieded I wanted to see the obverse detail better right now unless you look at it at an agle with light you cannot see too many details. >>

Get another one?
    Scott Hopkins
    -YN Currently Collecting & Researching Colonial World Coins, Especially Spanish Coins, With a Great Interest in WWII Militaria.

My Ebay!
  • Options
    ttt
  • Options
    anoldgoatanoldgoat Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭
    Brillo padimage
    Alright! Who removed the cork from my lunch?

W.C. Fields
  • Options
    Catch22Catch22 Posts: 1,086 ✭✭
    Mild, soapy, warm water...no scrubbing and just a little dabbing with a Qtip. If that doesn't clean it up you'll need more specific advice from someone having actually seen the coin.

When we are planning for posterity, we ought to remember that virtue is not hereditary.

Thomas Paine
  • Options
    funny............... hey i have a potato brush too no metal on metal but what the heck huh? image
  • Options
    prooflikeprooflike Posts: 3,879 ✭✭

-OR- you could just leave it alone...

• Options
    I have an 1858 FE with black splotches on it.
    I soaked the coin in Olive oil for a month (the slow and safe approach), it didn't work, then soaked and rensed it with Acetone, that didn't work either, and then some Trichlor solvent and it didn't work, and finally some denatured alcohol it didn't work either.
    It didn't even touch any of those splotches at all.

Before cleaning

After Cleaning attempts

Anyway, you are probably out of luck, like I am.
    It's a nice hole filler in my son's Whittman album though.
  • Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,780 ✭✭✭✭✭
    earlwhollinger:

I do not agree with you. Your "after" pictures do show some definite improvement particularly above and below the eagle's head.
    Try mineral oil instead of the olive oil. How long did you soak it in the olive oil? If you soaked it less than 6 months to one year then it was not long enough.

But do use the clear, odorless mineral oil as it will not turn rancid on you. Dab and swirl with the oil moistened Q swab at least once a month.

Then you may rinse with acetone or simply sqeeze dry several time with soft tissue paper.
    A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • Options
    ddbirdddbird Posts: 3,168 ✭✭✭
    I use number 952 above to carve faces out of hickory sticks!
  • Options
    do not agree with you. Your "after" pictures do show some definite improvement particularly above and below the eagle's head.

Oh, it's still soaking in Oilve oil.
    Maybe by Dec I'll see if it does anything.
    I'll have to look at my own photos again, I get where I can't see the trees for the forest.
  • Options
  • Options
    Wow! "Goo Gone", I'll have to go look for some.
    What the heck, it's worth a shot.
    Thanks
  • Options
    earl: My error, I did forget to mention the Goo Gone. Good luck.

Try it on the reverse only first.
  • Options
    For ellewood!
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,936 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Soak it in Goo-Gone and then gently work the black crud off with a Q-tip. If the crud isn't corrosion it should come off. If it is corrosion it won't come off.
    All glory is fleeting.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file