Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Two-Headed 50-State Quarter Error?

mirabelamirabela Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭✭✭
OK, next question -- my aunt found a quarter in change that has the Washington 50-states obverse on both sides. Any idea how common/uncommon this might be, and what sort of a price it might fetch? I told her to put it on ebay and she'd find out, but she wants to know what it would sell for without selling it. I'd imagine it's probably in the usual lightly circulated AU, but I haven't seen it yet.
mirabela

Comments

• Options
    Probably a Magician's coin.Not worth very much, do a search for it and you will find out more about these.
  • Options
    Two headed/tailed coins are manufactured in the same manner as the fake rotated die coins, you can get an idea of how they do this by going to the following page Fake Rotated Die Errors I am sure if you look close you will find a seam where the two coins were put together as shown on the linked page above.
  • Options
    Thanks for the web page showing the fakes. I found a two-headed state quarter in change the other day and thought it might be an error...but after seeing those photos and looking at it under a magnifying glass I found a seam around the edge on one side. It looks like one quarter was hollowed out and another placed inside. These coins are pretty convincing upon a quick glance.

The funny thing is I found a blank planchet in change at the same place over a year ago. This place gets their change from vending machines so I'm guessing whoever does this has to be pretty good to get a machine to register the coin.

My biggest question is why would someone go to all the trouble of hollowing out one coin and trimming another to put inside? image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file