Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Who stold the Naxcom Ad Banner?

imageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimage

I bet Toppsgun broke in and took it... while no one was looking! It had to be him. image

Actually, on a serious note .... I started this thread because I got an e-mail last week from one of the CEO's at Naxcom, in reference to a thread he had read here in the forums. On the thread, I had mentioned some of the problems I'd encountered trying to navigate Naxcom's site, and some of the issues I had with the way it worked, the quality, etc.

The letter I received from the CEO said that he had seen the thread, and he was concerned about the issues. He asked me several questions about the techincal issues I had with their site ... and he also wanted me to list anymore complaints / ideas /suggestions I might have that could help them improve their site.

Our letters were long and quite detailed, and as it turns out.... a couple of the technical issues I had with their site might actually stem from my use of a Mac computer. I've run into several sites over the years that don't seem to like the older Mac operating systems and I can't always see (or use) all of the features on some sites. He wasn't aware of the issue, and I mentioned to him that it can be fixed.

Anyway, I just wanted to mention how impressed I was that the COO of Naxcom took the time to "look into" the rantings of some guy that was talking about his company on a message board. Not only did we exchange several e-mails, he is passing on the info to his tech team and they are going to try and resolve some of the issues. He said they are currently working on some changes and improvements to the Naxcom operations, and that they are always interested in customer feedback and reactions.

I'm not a person that is easily impressed.... but after dealing with him, I got a really good feeling about the Management team over at Naxcom, and also about how they truly want to try and build a better mouse trap for card collectors. I am personally going to make an effort to support them more often... and I hope some of you will give their site a try too. After all, other options can only be a good thing...right?

Mike
"Vintage Football Cards" A private Facebook Group of 4000 members, for vintage football card trading, sales & auctions. https://facebook.com/groups/vintagefootball/

Comments

• Options
    Mike,

Long time, no talk. Hope you have been well. Naxcom is one of our sponsors on Trader Retreat and we have been very impressed with them, also. I have made about 20 purchases in the last year on Naxcom. The biggest problem with the site is the fact that dealers often list cards for sale and forget to take down their listings when they sell the card elsewhere (i.e. card show, E-bay, etc.). Listings don't expire in a week like E-bay, obviously. You click the link to purchase the card, excited about your find, and Naxcom charges your credit card. A couple of weeks later when you don't get the card you contact the dealer only to find out they no longer have it. Very, very frustrating. I will say that the Naxcom customer support has taken great care of me each of the times that this has happened. They reverse the transaction quickly and credit the funds back to your account. One time they felt so bad that they sent me an authenticated 8X10 auto photo of Bob Feller....very nice. My two best deals of the entire year have come on Naxcom as I found certified Brett Favre and Jerry Rice autograph cards for around $60 each. Anyway, I just wanted to agree with your assessment that they are a fine alternative to E-bay if you can find the cards you are looking for.....

On the 97 Legends front, how's it going? I just picked up the Csonka, Winslow, Alworth, Stabler, and Webster. Still need Art Shell, Billy Cannon, Matt Millen, and Joe Montana. Please let me know if you see any of these and let me know which one's you are looking for at the moment. I am still doing my daily/weekly search....

Ken

• Options
    shouldabeena10shouldabeena10 Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭
    Hey Ken,

I agree.... they (Naxcom) are sooo close to having a great alternative to ebay, I really hope they fix up the small issues that would make it a more competative site. I don't think it would take much.... and it certainly sounded like they were on the right track.

As for the 1997 UD Legends, I think I'm the high bidder on the Art Shell card that ends in a couple of days... so once I bag that one, I'll be down to just needing nine of the big boys (Starr, Brown, Namath, Payton, Bradshaw, Harris, Unitas, Dorsett, Butkus)... well them and your Russ Francis 1 of 1, of course. image

Did you pick up any of the cards that Jarred was selling from that set he bought? (I think his name was Jarred? The guy from the Beckett thread). I know Futureman bought a few off of him. He snuck in there and snatched up the Unitas I had planned on going for. image Actually, I can't get mad at Futureman ... he's been my "Legends connection" for quite some time now, and he has PM'd me with cards I need on many occassions. I wouldn't be anywhere near done with the set if it wasn't for him. I always forget to search for the Legends, so I miss a lot of the ebay action.

I keep hoping I'll run into someone that wants to trade for some of the last expensive Legends cards that I need. I just can't bring myself to pay those big sticker prices yet to buy / bid on them.

Do you mess with any of the Topps Reprint Autographed cards? I just picked up a 2001 Topps Team Topps Legends Auto #TTR4 of Tommy McDonald last week. It's an autographed reprint of the 1957 Topps set (which I collect), so it caught my eye. I was trying to figure out if they redid the entire 57 set, and how many of them are autographed... but looking in the Beckett (under new cards) just makes my head spin. There are so many sets, subsets, etc... I don't know how the modern collectors keep up with it all?

I hope all is well and you're taking good care of my Francis card for me.

Aloha,

Mike
    "Vintage Football Cards" A private Facebook Group of 4000 members, for vintage football card trading, sales & auctions. https://facebook.com/groups/vintagefootball/
  • Options
    joker73joker73 Posts: 497

<< <i>Do you mess with any of the Topps Reprint Autographed cards? >>

Ahh, one of my current pet projects - I absolutely love this idea from Topps. Basically, there are a few different "sets" of these cards. They did a 44-card subset with the 2001 Archives release that featured autographed rookie reprints on a "modern" card stock, with great players like Montana, Unitas, Brown, Sanders, etc. - 28 HOFers plus 16 other well-known players in all. The 2001 Archives Reserve "parallel" release had a very similar lineup, with a few additions/subtractions, but I just don't trust the longevity of autos on the chromium finish those cards have.

The other major "set" of these are from what Beckett calls "2001-03 Topps Team Topps Legends" autographs, of which your McDonald is part. These were inserted into a bunch of Topps releases over 2001, 2002, and 2003, and featured players' autos on a reprint of either their rookie card (TTR** card numbers) or their final Topps card (TTF** card numbers). They don't have the "modern" card stock that the Archives do, but you can really only notice the difference by looking at the backs. There is a decent amount of overlap between this checklist and the '01 Archives, so I've just been getting one or the other (i.e., just one Sanders since he appears in both sets). Also, FYI, if you subscribe to Beckett's online pricing, you can select "2001-03 Topps Team Topps Legends Autographs" as a set, and it'll give you the full list with values.

Finally, going back to the 1997 Topps Stars set, Topps had smaller (8-10 card) subsets with a similar theme. Many overlap with the bigger '01 Archives release, but a few exceptions are noteworthy. From 1998, there is a '76 Payton that's just awesome, and the 1997 Stars set has a really cool Nitschke auto rookie reprint.

I really wish they'd do another release like the '01 Archives - I'd love to see auto'd reprints of '86 Rice, '82 Lott, '78 Dorsett, and '88 Bo Jackson, to name a few - a Stadium Club Favre would rule too ...
  • Options
    KLS23KLS23 Posts: 1,581
    Mikey,

Joker covered the 01 Topps Archives and Archives Reserve sets nicely. Thank you for that:>}. Saved me some typing...ha ha. I do happen to have quite a few of those and continue to work on completing those "sets". I happen to have the Unitas on the front page of my football auto's site. I hope he is wrong about the chrome finish on the Reserve set. Not as dedicated to those sets as my 97 Legends set, but when I see one I usually pick it up. Same for the 01 Donruss Classics Stadium Seat auto's and 01 UD P&P Piece of History auto/jersey set. Close to closing those out, also.

You can check out scans of many of them on my site: http://groups.msn.com/KensSportscardTradingPage/footballautographs.msnw

One day I will actually take the time to scan all 150+ of the 97 Legends auto's to my site, also! I believe right now that I have around 315 football auto's scanned out of my collection.

I did actually contact Jarred several times about buying some of the 97 Legends auto cards that I needed, but did not receive a response. Not sure what happened. I am really mad at myself tonight because I just missed out on a Millen on E-bay. Forgot about the auction and never got my snipe in. I need that Shell, but I am not going to drive the price up on you. Good luck picking it up. The latest count on needs is the 10 big boys and Shell, Cannon, Millen, and Montana.

By the way, don't worry....Russ is tucked nicely away in a safe place. Another big collector tried to flash the cash...but I told him that I would sell my soul first:>}. Take care buddy.

Ken

• Options
    shouldabeena10shouldabeena10 Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭
    Joker,

Great info... thanks! Now if you could just shoot me the complete checklists with prices for all of those reprint auto sets, you would be immortalized in my "helper HOF" and receive one of my famed Crane Disc's for your efforts ... maybe even two. image

Ken,

Yea, Millen was a thorn in my side too... he was the last one I got and he doesn't show up very often. There's been more Shell's than normal hitting lately, so maybe a few more will come up soon. I appreciate you not running me up... although I'm sure the other guys will image. The last three have gone for $114.00, $92.00 and $77.00.... so we'll see if this one follows the trend. Glad to hear you finally got your Webster. Futureman and I were trying to figure out just how many that guy has. Apparently he got a bunch of them years ago and is selling them a few at a time. I picked up a second one... just in case it stays a low pop like we think it will.

Are you collecting any of the vintage HOF RC's? I started playing with that set a few months ago and it has become one of my favorites. Lot's of competiton, and definately a set to pick at... as most of the cards can get rather pricey.

Good luck on your collection!

Mike

• Options
    Mike - I'd be happy to shoot you the lists (I've got them in Excel already in my "collection" file). Just PM me your email address when you get a chance.

On the auto fading issue, I haven't noticed anything specific with the Archives Reserve autos. Rather, I've noticed some spotting/fading on some older Donruss Passing the Torch autos, and while they don't have the same type of chrome finish the Reserve cards have, it just got me thinking about the longevity of auto cards in general. So, being somewhat anal and paranoid about my collection, I just ended up with a preference for the regular Archives autos ... I haven't seen any signs of fading or anything with the Reserve autos I've seen.

Robert
  • Options

<< <i>Are you collecting any of the vintage HOF RC's? >>

You know, I almost started this set a few times - but then realized my competitive side would want me challenging the current leaders, which would cost me an arm and a leg. That's what led me to collecting the rookie reprint autos ... they look similar, and have an certified autograph to boot. And I remember watching most of them play - with the full HOF set, many names wouldn't mean a whole lot to me other than general historical significance ...
  • Options
    KLS23KLS23 Posts: 1,581
    Mike - Funny you should mention that....I have thought about collecting HOF rookies on several occassions and then came to my senses when I looked at my checkbook:>}. I did decide to collect every Walter Payton card in at least PSA 8 and have been working on that lately. Thanks for the well wishes on my Legends set and let me know if you see any Millen's:>}.

Robert - Would you mind sending me those lists, also? I would be very grateful. My e-mail is ken_ams@Hotmail.com. Thanks a lot. Let me know if I can ever help you out with a particular card.

Ken
  • Options
    Ken - email sent image.