Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Interesting card article written.

I saw this on another site I frequent and thought I would share.

http://www.pennlive.com/sports/patriotnews/index.ssf?/base/sports/1088500891172901.xml
Move along folks.......Nothing to see here.

Comments

• Options
    I didn't read the whole thing, but I agree with the article. I used to frequent card shows a couple of years ago, but stopped going because most people just wanted too much for their cards. I don't mind paying a small premium but many of them were wanting 2 to 3 times the going eBay rate - same goes for card shops!

Brian
  • Options
    ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭
    That was a nice read, even though it doesn't tell us well traveled collectors anything we didn't already know. Thanks for the link!
  • Options
    pandrewspandrews Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭
    those were the days..

i really miss all the local "mall" shows we used to have in town.. eBay has been good for the hobby, but I kinda miss the pre-eBay days..
    ·p_A·
  • Options
    jrinckjrinck Posts: 1,321 ✭✭
    Was the Solomon Cramer quoted in the article none other than the famed SAH seller + one time poster here "crazysc"?
  • Options
    So are we all in agreement that corporations screwed up the industry?

I long for the days in the mid-late 70's when I saved up my paper route money and waited for the $0.39 rack packs at PlayWorld in Sunrise Mall, Long Island, NY to go on sale for $0.29. I would then by 50 racks or so and put my sets together. This happened about twice a year. My mom used to get so mad at me for wasting my money on these things. She admitted she was wrong in 1989 when I used the cards to pay for a year of college.

• Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Was the Solomon Cramer quoted in the article none other than the famed SAH seller + one time poster here "crazysc"? >>

'Twas indeed. I'm surprised they used him - as he seems to be less involved in the hobby now than he has been over the past few years (I still talk to him occassionally - but very little about bb cards...)

ms
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    dudedude Posts: 1,454 ✭✭
    Thanks for posting the article. It is a shame that the local "mom and pop" card show is going the way of the dinosaur. eBay is clearly the most efficient way to sell these days, and that has certainly hurt the show circuit. The last time I went to a mall show in Houston there was only one major dealer there and that was Paul Starx. I asked him why he came from Colorado, and aside from the fact that his wife is from Houston, he told me that if he didn't go to shows, he could never be buying anything and would be out of business soon.
  • Options
    Gemmy10Gemmy10 Posts: 2,990
    I used to enjoy chatting with Solomon Cramer on this board. He is only 27 years old....much younger than I expected. Why did he stop posting on the board anyway? I use to like listening to him on SAH. He seemed very easy going, unlike someone whose initials are KG.