Home U.S. Coin Forum

Comments

• Options
    nOoBiEeEnOoBiEeE Posts: 1,011 ✭✭
    1911-D is, from what I understand is "rare" and can fetch a higher price then what the BIN is for, BUT, I do not think it is real..

link
  • Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Probably real, but as said in the description, it's been polished.
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    poorguypoorguy Posts: 4,317
    Brandon Kelley - ANA - 972.746.9193 - http://www.bestofyesterdaycollectibles.com
  • Options
    Wow the responses here are incredibly fast. It is also a weak d variety with the polishing I think that explains the price.
  • Options
    nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,387 ✭✭✭
    I'd be happier seeing this in a NCS or ANACS holder.
  • Options
    darktonedarktone Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭
    Really can't tell from those pictures but many fakes are polished to cover up poor quality. mike
  • Options
    mr1931Smr1931S Posts: 5,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "many 1911-D coins show little or no trace of the mint mark"

Seems to me that if a coin "show...no trace of the mint mark" it, in fact, doesn't have a mint mark.

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-Albert Einstein

• Options
    The seller www.jetproofs.com I've found to be very reliable. I met them at the Austin show this past week-end. Also, they keep their website updated!

Jerry

Do you want to receive PM?
  • Options
    "weak D" the 1911 D is worth a premum over any other date 2.5 indian so this could be a real 1911 with a fake D on it

imageimage
  • Options
    mr1931Smr1931S Posts: 5,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The seller says that there are diagnostics to identify real from fake 11 D, even those with weak mint mark. This one could easily be genuine. That tiny D would be real tough to get on there neatly and properly. Besides, why wouldn't one "make" this coin with a strong D?

I lean towards "genuine" based on what I can see in the pictures but would ask the seller to extend his "guarantee" so that I would have the time necessary to get a third party opinion of authenticity.

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-Albert Einstein

• Options
    BustmanBustman Posts: 1,911
    just looks cleaned. Hard to tell exactly from the pics.
    J

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file