Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Hey Veterans

perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
Hi
Just been looking over some year old SMR's and have not noticed much changes in prices of vintage material. Wondering when there was a big jump in prices or if the prices have basically been around the same from the first issues, I know there is so many areas to cover on this but just looking for some info. For example say the set you are currently working on, did you ever notice a big change from one issue to the next or was it a slow rise to what it is now.

Comments

• Options
    GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    Most of the sets I'm working on SMR is pretty far behind the times so it isn't even that close a guide. In general I"ve noticed a pretty steep run up on vintage (pre WW2) issues for the last 18 months, gaining steam since last fall.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options
    On a few of the sets I'm doing, the SMR is less than half what the cards are selling for on eBay. Even more 'modern' cards have jumped up in the past 18 months with people starting and competing in Set Registry's. I use it as a pretty general reference, it can be bang on, too high, or too low (most often, which to me would indicate this 'ol hobby of ours is starting to come on strong again). I always enjoy the articles and ads too.
  • Options
    pcpc Posts: 743
    ive noticed MANY changes and all we need do is email Joe Orlando
    when noticeable differences take place via ebay or any major
    auction house.i copy or paste bidding history from ebay when there
    is a major difference and within months the smr updates.the smr
    is what we make it boys and girls.

Money is your ticket to freedom.
  • Options
    RobERobE Posts: 1,160 ✭✭
    I look forward to the day Funky Frank and I put our notes togethor and assist in a small area I have to contribute to PSA.I don't expect anything to change that much in the SMR but I'd really like JO to have this info on file for whenever he feels it's necessary to impliment to the public reports.
  • Options
    NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭
    Where ebay transacrtions are the most useful is on showing the prices that commons are going for on a '50s or '60s set. If you search 19XX Topps PSA 8 (or 7, if it's a '50s set) in completed auctions, you will likely get at least 50 to 100 transactions of commons for the set. That is a large enough base to see with some accuracy what happens with prices of commons, unlike star cards, where there is probably 1 to 3 transactions at most of the same card during that time span. Discard the outlying transactions (on the high end, normally the super-tough commons, and on the low end usually either a qualifier undisclosed in the title, no transaction (reserve not met), or a questionable seller) and you have the range of common prices. The SMR figure should fall near the midpoint of that range. This has the advantage of already excluding the sales that are very cheap because of poor listing jobs - if it shows up on this search, it was well enough listed that any set collector in that grade should have found it.

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.
  • Options
    MorrellManMorrellMan Posts: 3,238 ✭✭✭
    Pretty much a rule of thumb is the scarcer the issue, the further off is SMR - pre or post war; if there isn't a lot of trading on the specific issue, SMR tends to be low, actual sell prices tend to be high, creating a vast schism - generally twice as much as a half-vast schism....
    Mark (amerbbcards)

"All evil needs to triumph is for good men to do nothing."
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    thx guys good info
  • Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    How often do you guys communicate with Joe O. on this issue? 1955 Bowman baseball have always been low on the 9s and completely ignores the low pops - but my last e-mail to Joe with numerous prices realized (auction, Ebay and private) got from him a promise of some updates in the next SMR (two months from now - just missed the deadline).

MS
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭
    I occasionally (ok, rarely) communicate with him, although I did email him a while back with data about how SMR was too low in PSA 7 and 8 for 1954 Topps. That's one of the sets they moved up this month (and deservedly so - for months almost nothing that was adequately listed went off below SMR once shipping was figured in.

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.