Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Do you guys ever just browse the big dealer's REALLY expensive...

...inventories just to drool at some of the most amazing coins you can never have? I was at Pinnacle's site and there was an 1866 3 dollar indian princess in ms-65 for only....twenty-something grand! Sheesh! It was beautiful! Also, there is an ebay dealer called Anaconda who had some intense stuff that was really fun to look at. Is the same Anaconda that is on these boards? If so, congrats on those awesome coins you sell!

What about you "other" guys? (Guys with wallets more like mine!) Do ever browse the REAL monsters in this hobby just for fun? I get a kick out of it! Ah...maybe someday...!!

Comments

• Options
    krankykranky Posts: 8,709 ✭✭✭
    Absolutely! When else am I going to get a chance to see coins like that? image

And that is indeed the same Anaconda.

New collectors, please educate yourself before spending money on coins; there are people who believe that using numismatic knowledge to rip the naïve is what this hobby is all about.

• Options
    nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,387 ✭✭✭
    Yes, and it's hard to let on that I would never be able to afford it. Nice dealers who aren't too busy with customers are accomodating with me. I don't do it when they are really busy as it's not fair. Bad dealers I'll play with a little bit.
  • Options
    nOoBiEeEnOoBiEeE Posts: 1,011 ✭✭
    I think it is the same ANACONDA that browses these boards and yes, I LOVE bowsing through some of those coins.
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    Of course, all the time. When I was young I looked at Playboy, now I browse high end coin dealer web sites. Could never have the contents of either, but it's nice to fantasize.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Of course I do image

...might I say it's more fun to peruse Anaconda's table at a show, though image
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    I like to go to jbstevens ebay store and weep violently and jealously from time to time....
  • Options
    puffpuff Posts: 1,475
    Yep...... Have bought several coins from Pinnacle too, of which 4 or in my sig line.
  • Options
    BarryBarry Posts: 10,100 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Of course, all the time. When I was young I looked at Playboy, now I browse high end coin dealer web sites. Could never have the contents of either, but it's nice to fantasize.

Russ, NCNE >>

But in both cases, the plastic gets all the attention...
  • Options
    All the time. I keep several of their coins in my favorites or watchlists..

Jerry
  • Options
    GooberGoober Posts: 980 ✭✭✭
    I've grown in love with the King of Siam collection. You should all chip in for me.image
    Prost!

Why step over the dollar to get to the cent? Because it's a 55DDO.
  • Options
    BustmanBustman Posts: 1,911
    Don't even think about it. The King of Siam set is mine!
  • Options
    byergobyergo Posts: 586
    I understand what you're saying, but I'd use the word "big ticket" or "high dollar" coins rather than "expensive."

As the old saying goes: you get what you pay for. A high dollar coin is not necessarily expensive if the rarity/beauty/quality/eye appeal/toning/etc... is all there.
    Buy/Sell/Trade Rainbow Morgans
  • Options
    GooberGoober Posts: 980 ✭✭✭
    Ok, we'll get the forum members to cough up the 10 mil, and we'll trade off weekends, and split the summer vacation.
    Prost!

Why step over the dollar to get to the cent? Because it's a 55DDO.
  • Options
    Catch22Catch22 Posts: 1,086 ✭✭
    Not only do I browse the Dealer's high end coins, I really like browsing the high end coins at auction.

Part of the enjoyment of the hobby for me is in learning the history of important coins. Auctions are a great resource for this sort of thing.

When we are planning for posterity, we ought to remember that virtue is not hereditary.

Thomas Paine
  • Options
    BearBear Posts: 18,954 ✭✭
    I browse, drool and plan. Often, I have to sell a few nice coins just so I can buy

what I thinK is a nicer coin. There just seem to be more coins to buy then I have money for.
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • Options
    jbstevenjbsteven Posts: 6,178

<< <i>Could never have the contents of either >>

Russ,

From the pictures I have seen of you I can understand your misery

<< <i>I like to go to jbstevens ebay store and weep violently and jealously from time to time.... >>

thanks
  • Options
    UncleJoeUncleJoe Posts: 2,522 ✭✭✭
    Actually, I don't.

I don't have "expensive" tastes in coins. I like good old fashioned "inexpensive" circulated coins.

I find that I personally get more enjoyment out of buying many nice circulated pieces than just one "expensive" piece.

Joe.
  • Options
    Wolf359Wolf359 Posts: 7,653 ✭✭✭
    ...inventories just to drool at some of the most amazing coins you can never have?

Of course. Got to hold the 1895 Morgan NGC PR68DCAM at last year's Baltimore Show. 120K was the price. Gave it back, I was afraid I'd drop it and have to pay.
  • Options
    CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Auction lot viewing is also an excellent way to do this.

But, yes, half the fun of going to shows is checking out the eye candy, even if you aren't going to buy it.
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,789 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do you guys ever just browse the big dealer's REALLY expensive...

yes and sometimes I even buy...

...their least expensive coins!
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Russ,

From the pictures I have seen of you I can understand your misery >>

Bite me, mullethead.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    jbstevenjbsteven Posts: 6,178
  • Options
    tmot99tmot99 Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭
    My keyboard has permenant drool marks. I have traded in gold coins to get rarer nicer stuff. Gold can always be replaced. (Unless its a 1933 St. Gaudens)
  • Options
    Of course...

• Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,760 ✭✭✭✭
    All the time.
    Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sure, why not?

It is nice to dream.

By the way (OT), speaking of Anaconda, I remembered meeting him several years ago, his inventory and his son. His son was a delightful and respectful lad. He patiently showed me Anaconda's inventory. But that was several years ago. I am sure Anaconda is waiting for his son to turn into a full teenager monster, if it hasn't happened already!
    A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • Options
    EvilMCTEvilMCT Posts: 799 ✭✭✭
    Whenever I have exceded my coin budget (happens way too much). This way there is NO temptation to go ahead and buy it and I get to see some nice eye candy.

Ken
    my knuckles, they bleed, on your front door
  • Options
    09sVDB09sVDB Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭
    all the time
  • Options
    ColorfulcoinsColorfulcoins Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭
    Nope........no interest......too hard alrerady to keep focused w/o risking getting hooked on something new (and more expensive than I can afford).
    Craig
    If I had it my way, stupidity would be painful!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file