Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

DAHLONEGA GOLD: Does anyone own any? Is it just me, or is it VERY hard to find?

I can't afford any of it, but my dad was a georgia boy and he would love some. (Certified mind you...we aren't the best graders in the world!)
Where is a good place to look aside from heritage, ebay etc.

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,789 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, I own some. I hope to get some more. Soon. Good pieces are hard to find. Here is a good place to start:

Pinnacle

Also, Gold Rush Gallery

Skip ebay--very little Dahlonega stuff, what is there are mostly problem coins.
    Skip Heritage unless you can see the coins in person. Enough low-end stuff is slabbed to make me not want to take a chance sight-unseen.

• Options
    TheLiberatorTheLiberator Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭
    Man that stuff is pricy! (For me anyway... image)

Well, you've gotta pay for true rarity and quality I guess!
  • Options
    WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,709 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you tour the old mint site, they have a complete Dahlonega set on display in a capital board..incredible. A good book is availble by Douglas Winter. If the link is working below, it will take you to several for sale used!

Good luck

WSDahlonega books
    Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • Options
    DaveGDaveG Posts: 3,535
    Liberator:

You might want to give the folks at Gold Rush Gallery (and/or Doug Winter at Pinnacle) a call and talk to them about what you're looking for.

They might be able to find a decent VF quarter eagle or half eagle that won't cost the earth and would never make it to their inventory (due to all the want list customers out there!).

Check out the Southern Gold Society

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A circulated gold dollar might be the way to go.

If I ever own any Charlotte or Dahlonega gold, it'll be because I found it with my detector, rather than bought it!

I've visited the museums at both the Charlotte and Dahlonega mint sites, and found both interesting. The funny thing about Charlotte is that I was surprised to find some of the paintings and other exhibits catching my attention more than the coins did. (The Charlotte museum was not strictly a numismatic museum but really more of an art museum, at least when I saw it).

Somehow the exhibits of those entire sets of coins at the museums, while beautiful, must have caused sensory overload for me or something. I get that way at big shows sometimes. After the first little while, I find myself thinking, "ho hum- there's another ten-thousand-dollar rarity." Go figure.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭
    I just wholesaled a 43-D quarter eagle in NGC 58 and I know the dealer still has it if you're interested. It's not an expensive coin.

Tomimage
  • Options
    I have seen some nice looking Dahlonega $5's in Fine holders. Even these would probably run at least $1000. Good Luck!
  • Options
    RYK has an excellent book review re: The Neighborhood Mint recently on the boards. Strongly suggest purchasing this book as a starting place and suspect you and your dad will enjoy it. Includes nice color pictures of a Dahlonega type set.
    Collect for enjoyment
  • Options
    Ah, shucks "D"-man...

Here's the link to my book review: Link
  • Options
    My sister lives in Dahlonega so I have wanted to get an example for a while
    but can never seem to find a cheaper coin that doesn't have massive problems.
    Robert Getty - Lifetime project to complete the finest collection of 1872 dated coins.
  • Options
    FC57CoinsFC57Coins Posts: 9,140

<< <i>RYK has an excellent book review re: The Neighborhood Mint recently on the boards. >>

This book is an excellent book to read - as it captures the atmosphere of the mint in true homespun fashion. If you're genuinely interested in getting a gold Dahlonega - give the guys at image a call - Im sure that whatever they can do to get you hooked up with the right coin they will do. Warning - these coins ARE habit forming for those who love history! image
  • Options
    TheLiberatorTheLiberator Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for all your help, guys! I really appreciate it!!
  • Options
    mrcommemmrcommem Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭✭
    Hello Liberator,

As you may be finding out, there are no inexpensive Dahlonega Mint coins, except those with problems. All original coins carry a nice premium over dipped or problem coins. If you want to get a nice coin I suggest you contact Doug Winter at Pinnacle coins or Bob Harwell at Han@ock and Harwell. Both are experts in the field of Dahlonega coins.

I don't know exactly what the draw is to Dahlonega coins. I just wanted one coin for my type set to represent that mint.
    That was 9 coins ago and a lot of bucks. I started with a gold dollar, 1851-D, then added the 1847-D quarter eagle, then a nice 1847-D half eagle from the North Georgia Collection. I was bitten by the Dahlonego gold bug!! I have gone on to acquire the three dollar gold, for a hefty sum of bucks, a 1859-D type three gold dollar, an 1838-D classic half eagle, an 1839-D half eagle, an 1849-D type one gold dollar open wreath, and lastly an 1855-D type two gold dollar. That is 9 of the ten piece type. What I haven't seen in two or three years is a nice 1839-D classic quarter eagle in AU55 to complete the type set. Most of the ones I have seen are beat-up, unattractive, or in MS61 or better, way out of my price range. Anyway, to see what you are getting into, my partial type set is shown below.

• Options
    GooberGoober Posts: 980 ✭✭✭
    Now those look....WOW!
    Prost!

Why step over the dollar to get to the cent? Because it's a 55DDO.
  • Options
    BladeBlade Posts: 1,744
    mrcommem - Asolutely outstanding! I love the emphasis on the "D" gold for the type set. That is a great way to go after the type. Good luck closing it out with the classis quarter eagle. I did see a nice one in MS61 - crazy money though.
    Tom

NOTE: No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Type collector since 1981
    Current focus 1855 date type set
  • Options
    Tom,

Doug Winter has a nice MS61 that has that old crusty look. It is a bit pricey for me. I have talked to him about the coin and he knows exactly what I am looking for as he sold me a good portion of the type set that I have assembled. I will have to be patient until a nice one comes along. The photo of the type set does not do justice to the coins. I was working on some new photos with digital camera when my main computer decided to die on me. This is a new digital photo of the Dahlonega $3 in AU50. It is the same coin on the type set photo.

imageimage
  • Options
    Rob,

I love that $3. Any chance you might adopt me? image
  • Options
    Dahlonega

Joined: Apr 2002 <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<I have one thanks to that fella right there. It only cost me 2 missed car payments and a repossesed refrigerator but hey, who needs food and transportation when you can own Dahlonega gold? image
    Glock: the original point and click interface.
    The Second Amendment is in place in case they ignore the others.
    Guns have only two enemies, rust and liberals.
    Criminals love gun control, it makes their profession safer.
    If guns are outlawed can we use swords?
    A gun in the hand is better than a cop on the phone
  • Options
    RYK,

When I was trying to complete the Dahlonega denomination set, Jack Han@ock was looking for a nice three dollar Dahlonega when he had his untimely heart attack. I don't know all of the details but the eventually, his partner, Bob Harwell, came up with this coin. I wanted one with a little better grade, but the almost full strike and color of this coin is very unusual and makes up for a higher grade. I almost didn't buy it.
  • Options
    Rob,
    Be thankful, be very thankful
    Nice original Dahlonega three's have never been as hard to find [and priced correspondingly]
    By the way I suspect your three is very conservatively graded.
    But, back to the thread there are a few good buys still out there...study the books and start your quest
    Collect for enjoyment

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file