Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Collecting cards of players with Political Careers

I noticed this has brought up the value of Steve Largent's (Congressman from OK) 1977 RC. Another athlete comes to mind is Alan Page (who is on the Minnesota Supreme Court)...

The greatest opportunity for a card to go up in value maybe Ken Dryden's Rookie Card (OPC and Topps). My understanding is that he is a really popular figure within the Canadian Parliament and there is always a possibility he could become Prime Minister some day.

Wondering if any friendly neighbors up North would provide some more knowledge on this possibility, as Canadian politics are not my forte (American politics are definitely not my forte either).

JG
Gold Coins
Silver Coins

e-bay ID: grilloj39
e-mail: grilloj39@gmail.com

Comments

• Options
    srs1asrs1a Posts: 398
    how about Jack Kemp?
    Dr S. of the Dead Donkeys MC
  • Options
    CON40CON40 Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭
    You can't overlook Jim Bunning either! And I bet there's a card of Fred Grandy (Love Boat's Gopher) out there somewhere too!
  • Options
    pandrewspandrews Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭
    Does this guy count?

·p_A·
  • Options
    There may be a college issue card for J.C. Watts of OK.
    Wanted: Bell Brands FB and BB, Chiefs regionals especially those ugly milk cards, Coke caps, Topps and Fleer inserts and test issues from the 60's. 1981 FB Rack pack w/ Jan Stenerud on top.
  • Options
    pandrewspandrews Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭

<< <i>There may be a college issue card for J.C. Watts of OK. >>

good one, I didnt think about him.. wasnt his dad an athlete of some kind, also?
    ·p_A·
  • Options
    AlanAllenAlanAllen Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭
    I sold a 1985 Topps Jesse Ventura card for $25 the night he was elected image. Kemp had a spike when it looked like he might become Vice President, but his political star has faded and he now sells well below book.

There are all sorts of ex-players who have gone on to interesting second careers. T. J. Cloutier, one of the most succesful tournament poker players of the last 30 years, used to play in the CFL and had one card. Then there are the rasslers, the politicians, the actors, etc.

Joe
    No such details will spoil my plans...
  • Options
    NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭
    Wilmer "Vinegar Bend" Mizell (baseball, 1950s) and Tom McMillen (basketball, 1970s) became Congressmen. Bill Bradley (basketball, 1970s) became Senator and ran for President. Bill Kenney (football, 1980s) became a state legislator in Missouri and ran for statewide office. Richard Petty (auto racing) ran for statewide office in North Carolina. Steve Sax (baseball, 1980s-1990s) ran for a California state legislative seat, but was forced to drop out of the race due to really bad publicity over his divorce file.

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.
  • Options
    purelyPSApurelyPSA Posts: 712 ✭✭
    Pat Swilling is in the Louisiana legislature.
  • Options
    Grilloj39, Ken Dryden was just elected a couple days ago so he would also be considered a RC in his political career. As for an increase in his RC I wouldn't doubt it, he is with the most popular party and you're right about him at least seeming to be very well liked. Prime Minister would be a while away, but hey, I say if you are going to invest, invest in something you like!

I have a good one RE: American Political figures, what about Jack Ryan! He looks like an athletic guy, probably played some college football, I guess he didn't really make the political thing though did he? ... must have had something else on his mind.
  • Options
    grilloj39grilloj39 Posts: 370 ✭✭
    psavlad...thanks for the correction. two things bore me in life: politics and watching reruns of I Love Lucy.
    Gold Coins
    Silver Coins

e-bay ID: grilloj39
    e-mail: grilloj39@gmail.com
  • Options
    Hey - I have a political career!!! Oops - forgot, I didn't have a sports career.... Oh well, no cards for me!!

Steve