Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

How do you feel about vending stamp marks on the backs of Topps vintage cards?

A little known fact is that Topps would stamp the back of a very small percentage of vending cards so that when someone received one of these cards from the vending machine, they were awarded a bonus prize from the shop owner. I've had the opportunity in years past to go through vending runs of '68 and '69 Topps baseball cards and have one in my collection: a '68 Topps Len Gabrielson PSA 9 card. (Yes, PSA does grade them, and the doesn't put a MK qualifier on the grade either).

So my question for all of you is this: does the stamp mark improve the appeal or collectibility of the card since they are so rare, or does it detract because of the ugly mark, or are you indifferent about them?

Comments

• Options
    srs1asrs1a Posts: 398
    Dan, do the marks always look like this one? I have never seen one before, but also haven't looked since I was unaware of their existance. Tell us more!
    Dr S. of the Dead Donkeys MC
  • Options
    No appeal for me. I would rather have the card without the stamp. Out of curiosity, does PSA indicate that the card is stamped on the label even though it comes without a qualifier?

Scott
    Registry Sets:
    T-205 Gold PSA 4 & up
    1967 Topps BB PSA 8 & up
    1975 Topps BB PSA 9 & up
    1959 Topps FB PSA 8 & up
    1976 Topps FB PSA 9 & up
    1981 Topps FB PSA 10
    1976-77 Topps BK PSA 9 & up
    1988-89 Fleer BK PSA 10
    3,000 Hit Club RC PSA 5 & Up

My Sets
  • Options
    dudedude Posts: 1,454 ✭✭
    srs1a -- That's all I really know. The marks are red and round, and not too well defined if it was meant to show a symbol of some sort. They didn't put them on many cards either. I went through at least 10,000 cards from those vending runs and only noticed a handful.

fsjeter -- There is no extra labeling on the front flip. This one was graded in 1999.
  • Options
    pandrewspandrews Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭
    If it were a more detailed, attractive stamp, I would like it, and it would probably add to the collectability.. I never knew Topps did that, and my guess is that alot of people are unaware of it.. for something to have added collectability, people need to be aware of it..

Thanks for the trivia/history lesson!
    ·p_A·
  • Options
    Much less appeal. Just looks like a blob of red ink to me. If you have to explain the nature of the blob (and a very nice explanation you gave) then it loses it's value. If there were letters of some sort or wrod I think it would add. In this case, it doesn't add anything for me but thanks for the info.
    Fuzz
    Wanted: Bell Brands FB and BB, Chiefs regionals especially those ugly milk cards, Coke caps, Topps and Fleer inserts and test issues from the 60's. 1981 FB Rack pack w/ Jan Stenerud on top.
  • Options
    Wow, that would be easy to miss. Gum Inc. with their Horrors of War cards also put a stamp on the back of a few cards. But those said something like "congradulations you've won a free card or something" if I can find a pic i'll post it later.

-Mike
  • Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,069 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I believe I have a graded card with a much clearer stamp on the back. Next chance I get, I'll try to dig it out and post a scan.
  • Options
    sagardsagard Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭
    So did PSA give the cards an (MK) or was it simply overlooked?
  • Options
    dudedude Posts: 1,454 ✭✭
    <<So did PSA give the cards an (MK) or was it simply overlooked? >>

They didn't give it an "MK" and I agree that PSA shouldn't of given it a qualifier since it's that's how Topps manufactured it in house.
  • Options
    NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭
    A mark put out by the factory before the card was released should not be a MK. There is no difference in principle between that red mark and a special foil stamp applied to certain modern cards (e.g., Stadium Club 1st Day Issue). A more difficult question is about an aftermarket mark put out under factory authorization (originally, when cards were submitted for a prize, and then marked and returned to the submitter, now more often when the card is embossed or foil stamped at the manufacturer's booth at a card show).

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.
  • Options
    MorrellManMorrellMan Posts: 3,238 ✭✭✭
    This is a question I've long been interested in. I've gone through hundreds of Topps Hit Stars (1957) and found two different kinds of cancellations. I've never seen one graded, since I chase this set in raw condition, but I'd very much like to know what some of you know about this. I prefer the card without the cancellation:
    Mark (amerbbcards)

"All evil needs to triumph is for good men to do nothing."
  • Options
    BugOnTheRugBugOnTheRug Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭
    dude,
    Thanks for the insight but now you've really done it - since I like a challenge, I'm going to start an all-psa 8 1968 topps w/vending stamp registry set. image

BOTR
  • Options
    Interesting post. I dont remember ever seeing baseball card vending machines when I was growing up (during the 66-75 period). Maybe they didnt have them in Illinois.

I wonder how many of these I have seen that I thought were just marks by the owner and presumed they were less valuable?

Thanks for the information.

Keith
  • Options
    jimtbjimtb Posts: 704 ✭✭
    This is cool! I never knew Topps did that. It's amazing what you learn on this board! Who else has pics of these stamps?
    Jim
    Collecting all graded Alan Trammell graded cards as well as graded 1984 Topps, Donruss, and Fleer Detroit Tigers
  • Options
    theBobstheBobs Posts: 1,136 ✭✭
    Interesting Dude.

I collect a pre-war series that is often found with an ink stamp on the back -- generally believed to be a factory marking. PSA grades these MK even though many knowledgable collectors have raised the question.
    Where have you gone Dave Vargha
    CU turns its lonely eyes to you
    What's the you say, Mrs Robinson
    Vargha bucks have left and gone away?

hey hey hey
    hey hey hey
  • Options
    joker73joker73 Posts: 497
    Very, very cool IMO ... now, who's gonna try and put together a "stamp-only" 1968 complete set image?
  • Options
    pandrewspandrews Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Very, very cool IMO ... now, who's gonna try and put together a "stamp-only" 1968 complete set image? >>

BOTR is! image
    ·p_A·