Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

GOETZ: Black Shame Upgrade

I just won this in a German auction and was surprised to see upon its arrival that it qualified as an upgrade to the current K-262 Black Shame medal I already had in my collection. Looks like my first one is Ebay bound!! image

Comments

• Options
    theboz11theboz11 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭
    Is that symbolism???image
  • Options
    oldshepoldshep Posts: 3,240
    Yep, He wasn't too subtle in that one that's for sure.
    Shep
  • Options
    laurentyvanlaurentyvan Posts: 4,243 ✭✭✭
    Surely among the most evocative and powerful of Goetz's medals...

I remember when you posted the first example of this piece: I was struck by the extreme caricatural nature of the design, certainly the equal of our German and Japanese WWII posters, extremely effective propaganda tools of the time.

I say "of the time" because I don't believe our society would condone propaganda of this type today. It almost seems a shame because no matter how untrue, it's very successful at marshaling public opinion, essential if you're fighting a war. It's a truism that it's necessary to de-humanize your enemy.
    One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics
    is that you end up being governed by inferiors. – Plato
  • Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭
    laurentyvan.....fortunately modern society has been "dumbed down" so successfully that .. propaganda .. is no longer necessary or even recognizable.
    Just put the lies in the paper or quote them from the politicians and ...VOILA... IT'S TRUTH!

See? Cheaper than medals and more effective.

Now maybe if Sony or Microsoft made just .....the....right..... VIDEO GAMES.... well, maybe.

• Options
    It's OBSCENE! It's RACIST! I insist that you send it to me immediately so that I may dispose of it.
  • Options
    laurentyvanlaurentyvan Posts: 4,243 ✭✭✭
    Darkhorse, it can certainly come your way; remember, Scott says it's E-Bay bound (where it might cause a sensation given it's rather startling qualities). It should be interesting to see how cacheman makes out on this.
    One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics
    is that you end up being governed by inferiors. – Plato
  • Options
    MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭

<< <i>"Is she a blonde?" Cameron Kiefer >>

• Options
    Mac what do you think this is the open forum?image
    Bill

09/07/2006
  • Options
    trozautrozau Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Looks like my first one is Ebay bound!! image >>

Let us know when you list it. image
    trozau (troy ounce gold)
  • Options
    cachemancacheman Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭
    There have been a couple of these on ebay over the past several weeks. The real one went for about $350 and I couldn't believe an aftercast went the other day for $115!!

Here is a rare variety of the same medal with the family jewels disguised with grass and a limb added to the "tree". I am not sure which of these were the original design. I have never seen another one like it so far.....

• Options
    AskariAskari Posts: 3,713
    The original one wasn't anything to sneeze at!
    Askari

Come on over ... to The Dark Side! image
  • Options
    This is my favorite medal, I have to confess...

Too bad it's so expensive, though.
    4 765 of 50 971 (9.35%) complete image

First DAMMIT BOY! 25/9/05 (Finally!)

" XpipedreamR is cool because you can get a bottle of 500 for like a dollar. " - Aspirin

• Options
    cachemancacheman Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭
    Yeah Philip, this is the medal that first caught my attention too. I saw an ad of Paul Bosco's in my Krause German Coin Catalog and was smitten. I thought, who the hell made that, and why? That was a hundred Goetz medals ago...image Just a year ago you could pick one of these up for $150 in UNC.
  • Options
    bozboz Posts: 1,405
    Sooooo, when's the auction. We're waitingimage
    The great use of life is to spend it on something that will outlast it--James Truslow Adams