Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Book recommendations?

Can anyone recommend any good coin books? I'm not talking about the Redbook or anything like that. I'm looking more for books about the history/process of coining...preferably US, but world coins are OK too.

Thanksimage

Comments

• Options
    Go to my website (see below). I have a section on good books.
  • Options
    I saw a book at Barnes and Noble that looked great, huge book. I don't remember the name and it had no price on it, but it was on the the Carson City mint. It looked pretty loaded with info. Might be worth checking out, I'll probably buy it myself.
    Scott Hopkins
    -YN Currently Collecting & Researching Colonial World Coins, Especially Spanish Coins, With a Great Interest in WWII Militaria.

My Ebay!
  • Options
    XpipedreamRXpipedreamR Posts: 8,059 ✭✭
    Anybody else?

• Options
    BustmanBustman Posts: 1,911
    Walter Breen's Encyclopedia! Expensive but worth it.
  • Options
    Catch22Catch22 Posts: 1,086 ✭✭
    Walter Breen's Encyclopedia sells for about 100 bucks. No serious collector would be without this reference book...moral objections not withstanding.

When we are planning for posterity, we ought to remember that virtue is not hereditary.

Thomas Paine
  • Options
    XpipedreamRXpipedreamR Posts: 8,059 ✭✭

<< <i>Walter Breen's Encyclopedia sells for about 100 bucks. No serious collector would be without this reference book...moral objections not withstanding. >>

Why...what's the story with Breen?
  • Options
    IMHO, you might do well to start with UNITED STATES PATTERN,EXPERIMENTAL and TRIAL PIECES-J.HEWITT JUDD,M.D. There can't be a true understanding of issued coinage, without an understanding of the road to get there. Anoter excellent reference is ENCYCLOPEDIA OF UNITED STATES LIBERTY DIMES1837-1891. This work , by K. M. Ahwash, ,the first systematic approach to this series, and more important, is VERY useful , thru it's outstanding photography,of setting standards for all other denominations.
  • Options
    mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭
    Breens encyclopedia is a must. You can also look for Don Taxay's book, US Mint and Coinage.

Rgrds
    Tomimage
  • Options
    MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭
    Breen's Encycolpedia can be found for about $80, postpaid. Look in the classified ads in the back section of Coin World.

There are reference books for almost every area of collecting.
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    alfalfaalfalfa Posts: 275 ✭✭
    If you're looking for a good book on the history of US coinage, you should check out "Fractional Money: A History Of Small Coins And Fractional Paper Currency Of The United States" by Neil Carothers. The book focuses primarily on the economic conditions in the early United States and how they led to the production of the various issues of our early coins and currency. Carothers also includes a chapter on the history of fractional currency and also includes a very interesting apendix detailing important early legislation related to "fractional money." Be forwarned though, that this is an economics text so there is no information on die varieties, pictures, or anything like that.

The book is out of print (originally published in 1930), but you should be able to find a copy of the 1988 reprint relatively easily. I bought mine in new condition at a local used bookseller for $15, and feel it was well worth the money.

RJ
  • Options
    Breen's Encycolpedia is an excellent place to startimage
    Michael
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,789 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bowers' Adventures with Rare Coins: dated, but interesting and timeless.

The Neighborhood Mint: Dahlonega in the Age of Jackson: Here's my review

Winter's Type I Double Eagles: History, shipwrecks, and cool (and expensive) coins.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file