Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Who's for plastic coins?

topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭
Why not? What we got now is junk anyway so why carry the extra weight? Could use poker chips I guess, but those are "redeemable" so maybe they're illegal or something.

Comments

• Options
    rlawsharlawsha Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭
    I never want to see a plastic coin. Sure would make it hard to find those rare gems with my metal detector! Bad idea as far as I'm concerned.
  • Options
    nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,387 ✭✭✭
    Never want plastic coins
  • Options
    CherwoodCherwood Posts: 1,073
    Ewwwww......plastic coins?? Banish the thought!!
    Cheryl........."She was not quite what you would call refined. She was not quite what you would call unrefined. She was the kind of person that keeps a parrot." - Mark Twain

Cher-Wood Forest Aviary

POTD - May 26, 2005
  • Options
    Don't give the Mint any ideas!

Alex in Alaska
    Collecting Morgans in Any Grade
  • Options
    uh oh

But, hey! $19.00 for $7.60. A deal!

• Options
    Try finding an ms/pr 70 plastic coin. image
  • Options
    We already have plastic coins its called a debit card.
  • Options
    If you have plastic coins, you have the problem of melting.
    If you have wooden coins, you have the problem of breaking and burning.
    If you have ceramic coins, you have the problem of breaking and shattering.

Metal is the only solution I see to physical coinage, but it's quickly getting to the point that the metal contect is approaching the value of the coin itself.

Another solution is to completey get rid of coins and bills, and instead, set up a nation wide credit/debit system (in fact, you'd have to use this, because the coins and bills would become non-useable). You still get payed, but instead of bills and coins, it's as credits in your bank. Still as dollars and cents, but there is no physical currency. You purchase things with a credit/debit card, with a nice security chip that includes your finger print. No charges for them. No monthly fees. No extra tax on them. Just a simple trade off.

Sure you can still collect coins, you just won'y pay for the coins with coins, just a simple bank transaction. The card could work with a 15-digit number. A 15 digit number gives 15! permutations, or, 1,307,674,368,000 unique numbers. Enough for every man, woman, and child on earth, 210 times over.
  • Options
    Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
    Not me, I want titanium coins (lightweight and strong).
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd go with it.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    I would say it would be ALOT easier to counterfeit a plastic coin than a metal coin.
  • Options
    MercuryMercury Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭✭
    This is not a new idea. There was an article in Coin World a while back that said the mint did some test with BakeLite back in the day.

Collecting Peace Dollars and Modern Crap.
  • Options
    MyqqyMyqqy Posts: 9,777
    This is not a new idea. There was an article in Coin World a while back that said the mint did some test with BakeLite back in the day.

I'd love to be a fly on the wall at the mint when they start throwing new ideas around..... image
    Oh, and plastic coins sound like a terrible idea. If a country needs to resort to plastic coins, then it's time for a new money paradigm....
    My style is impetuous, my defense is impregnable !
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    no plastic coins.

instead, plastic debit cards will someday make all currency obsolete.

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,760 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>If you have plastic coins, you have the problem of melting. >>

Not necessarily. Plastics (or polymers) come in three different forms: Thermoplastics, Thermosets, and Elastomers.

Thermoplastics are materials like polyethylene or polypropylene. Yes, these material melt but only at temperatures way above normal conditions and in some cases extreme temperatures are necessary.

Thermosets are materials like Baekalite or Epoxy. These materials are chemically cross-linked and DO NOT MELT. You can try to burn them, but most of them will simply char.

Elastomers are materials like rubber. These are lightly cross-linked materials that in some cases can melt, but usually do not. Again, unless you were to expose it to fire, it would behave similarly to a car tire, your tennis shoes, a bowling ball, etc.

Honestly, I wouldn't have a problem with making cents out of plastic. A thermoset would make an ideal material if you ask me.

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,760 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>If you have ceramic coins, you have the problem of breaking and shattering. >>

Ceramic would be a great idea in my opinion.

Although some ceramic materials are quite fragile (bone china), most are not. Some are, in fact, incredibly tough and could take repeated blows from a hammer. Keep in mind, rocks are a naturally forming ceramic material and you likely don't think of them as fragile.

Unlike metal metal coins, ceramic coins would never wear, tone, corrode, or bend.

PVC? A thing of the past.

Artificialy toning? What's that!

Tooling? Knock yourself out.

Manufacuturing would be a different problem, but ceramic coins would actually be pretty cool.

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,125 ✭✭✭✭✭
    'Buy the coin, not the plastic' er . . . wait, that's not going to work.

'Buy the plastic, not the plastic' ????

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    razorface1027razorface1027 Posts: 4,242 ✭✭
    Not me!
    What is money, in reality, but dirty pieces of paper and metal upon which privilege is stamped?
  • Options
    nOoBiEeEnOoBiEeE Posts: 1,011 ✭✭
    Let's see how the coin doctors would tone those plastic coins...image
  • Options
    Could restore AU's with a hair dryer.

Uh-oh......what about pitching pennies? No range.

But on the other hand, it would make cheating the blind easier as they couldn't tell by weight or "clink" what you put in the cup.

• Options
    Catch22Catch22 Posts: 1,086 ✭✭
    Plastic coins and metal slabs. The slab would tone, but the coin would forever be...plastic. Would you pay a premium for attratively toned holders?

When we are planning for posterity, we ought to remember that virtue is not hereditary.

Thomas Paine
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Why not? What we got now is junk anyway so why carry the extra weight? >>

We could do away with the extra weight by adopting aluminum for the lower denominations, like many countries have done since the end of WW2. And aluminum coins, though they are sometimes sneered at, look pretty nice in comparison to some of the alternatives. I think we should have gone with an aluminum cent in '82 instead of the zincs. After all, somebody was apparently thinkin' the same thing, back in 1974.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    Milord......

Aluminum would be no good. Have you checked the price at the recycler lately?

It is against government policy to allow private citizens to have money of INTRINSIC value.

Just no tellin what free people might end up doing if they had real money.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file