Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Discussion: Weakly Struck Coins

I recently bought this 1944-S Mercury Dime. It's graded MS66 by PCGS. The only problem, is a very weak strike. Ms. Liberty's hair is very flat, lacking quite a bit of detail, the central bands of the fasces are almost completely flat to the reeds. The reeds in the lower half of the fasces are also very mushy and and weakly struck, in some places, the Reeds have melded together. The luster is also a little subdued due to the toning. See picture at the bottom of the post.

I showed this coin off over on the Registry forums, and got a lot of comments from people over there thinking it should be graded AU. I will tell you right now, there are no luster breaks on the flat spots, it is a weak strike, so please don't tell me that it's AU, because I've heard it a dozen times already, and explained a dozen and a half times that it's not wear, and I'm tired of people not listening to me. So, anyways, Fairlaneman brought up that in the PCGS grading book, a coin with a weak strike, normally would grade no better than MS62 or MS63. So, I asked DH on the Q&A "Shouldn't a weak strike like this keep this coin from getting into a 66 holder?" and this was his answer; "It is my view that MS66 coins must be "sharply struck." However, for non-band Mercury dimes, the bands can be somewhat flat, as long as the rest of the coin is sharp. But they can't be like a pancake and be MS66." Link to the Q&A

Now, opinions from the peanut gallery? What should I do with this coin? It's an obvious overgrade with how weak the strike is. I got it at a cheap price, so it's not really a major loss to me.

-George
42/92

Comments

• Options
    PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭
    Wow did you check the cert number?
    If it's not a mechanical error send it to pcgs under the grade guarantee or pass it along to someone else if you don't want to keep it.
  • Options
    I don't need my coins super sharply struck. But that one is too weak for me. I'd upgrade it. FB Mercs of that date are pretty inexpensive too if I remember correctly.
  • Options
    WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,708 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Since we are not talking about a very exspensive or rare coin here, I personnaly would sell it and find a better example. But that would be me.

WS
    Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • Options
    XpipedreamRXpipedreamR Posts: 8,059 ✭✭
    How come you didn't show DH the pics?

I think it's weakly struck but decent looking. It's a cheap coin. It's not worth your time or money to pay for shipping on a regrade. So maybe they'll give it a 62 and send you a check for $10? Who cares?
  • Options
    Wolf359Wolf359 Posts: 7,653 ✭✭✭
    Have seen a couple (very few) of weakly struck Morgans in PCGS 65 Holders. The luster, marks, and eye appeal also must be factored in and they were all outstanding. Never seen one in a 66 holder though. Ask for a re-grade if money is the issue. Otherwise, eBay with an honest description.
  • Options
    PS: I'd keep it as an example of just such a coin...very weak, but well preserved.
  • Options
    Catch22Catch22 Posts: 1,086 ✭✭
    Sell it to Alan Hagar. I bet he'd pay a pretty penny for it about now.

When we are planning for posterity, we ought to remember that virtue is not hereditary.

Thomas Paine
  • Options
    JrGMan2004JrGMan2004 Posts: 7,557
    Yeah, I've got a PCGS-65 on the way that is probally going to replace it.

And placid: It is in the database as an MS66
    -George
    42/92
  • Options
    mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    I would stick to strong strikes. I find the more and more I collect the more I appreciate a good strike. I think that's why I have gravitated towards proof coinage.
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • Options
    You said you didn't want to hear it but you asked for an opinion, so I'll give you one. Looking at the change of color on the high spots on the cheek, cap, hair and wing I would be inclined to say AU.

• Options
    G-man...how much was the coin?

mgoodm3...proofs aren't real coinsimage
  • Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    George, it's an AU imageimage

Seriously, though. While the strike is very weak, from the looks of it, the lustre is excellent, and I really can't see any contact marks--is it possible that it's really something more like an MS68 with a very weak strike netted down?

Jeremy
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭

<< <i>G-man...how much was the coin?

mgoodm3...proofs aren't real coinsimage >>

Maybe not, but they're as God intended coins to be.image
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • Options
    JrGMan2004JrGMan2004 Posts: 7,557
    A got it on a BIN steal, with shipping price was like $12.50 image

And unfortunately, this coin, even with a nice strike, could never grade 67, much less 68. There's a quite a few small dings that don't show in the picture. And two fairly major dings on the fasces that don't show very well in the picture. I'll see if I can get a pic showing the hits a bit better.
    -George
    42/92
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,788 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Excellent issue for discussion. I agree with the board to replace. It might be a good Q&A for David Hall.

As for the strike, it is probably the chrarcteristic that I worry about the least in the circulated 19th century gold coins that I collect. A lot of the strikes in the branch mint coins, frankly, stink. Originality, eye appeal, and lack of distracting marks rank far higher on my priority list.
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,938 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dump that dog as quick as you can. You will just dislike it more every day you own it. It has no business being in a 66 holder.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    elwoodelwood Posts: 2,414
    It's a slider!!
    Please visit my website prehistoricamerica.com www.visitiowa.org/pinecreekcabins
  • Options

JrGMan, I like the coin, based on the price you paid. It does look overgraded, especially if you say that there are ticks on the coin that I don't see in the image. Not a terrible deal. I would just keep it for personal reference (example of an overgraded slab), or sell it on eBay to someone who is building a cheap, PCGS certified coin. I agree 100% with XpipedreamR's comments.
    www.jaderarecoin.com - Updated 6/8/06. Many new coins added!

Our eBay auctions - TRUE auctions: start at $0.01, no reserve, 30 day unconditional return privilege & free shipping!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file