Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Cameras

Alright, somebody mentioned cameras and coin photography. I am a complete (and utter) newby to wanting to take a picture of my coins and post them on the internet. I am thinking of buying a digital camera.

My goal:

a) To be able to take nice digital pictures of my coins to share them with nice people like you guys.
b) To be able to zoom in for interesting die punch and other varieties.
c) Keep it simple. Although I can refresh my college physics knowledge of optics and focal lengths, I'd actually prefer not to.
d) To be able to do the Ebay thing if I want to.

Okay, please let me know what camera, lenses, and tripod things you recommend.

Thanks in advance.

Rob
Numismatic author & owner of the Uncommon Cents collections. 2011 Fred Bowman award winner, 2020 J. Douglas Ferguson award winner, & 2022 Paul Fiocca award winner.

http://www.victoriancent.com

Comments

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm listening, too!

While y'all are advising bosox, tell me what you think of THIS. I have PM'ed bigd349 about it and he mentioned he might be willing to do a swap on an early US gold coin I have. Is his a good camera? Is the price right? I'm ready to get one and start struggling up the learning curve.

(Another newbie named Rob who has never graduated from scanners)

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭
    Sony's are pretty good. They are different than most digital camera's, they use 3 inch cd's instead of a memory card and custom batteries rather than AA or AAA's.

Most digital cameras with macro and white balance adjustment will do a good job on coins.
    Lighting, a tripod and practice tend to be about as important as the camera.

Here is the smallest coin I have a 3¢ silver(14.3 millimeters). Picture is with a Canon powershot A60 and a table lamp.
    Camera was $150 when I bought it a few months ago.

www.steves-digicams.com is pretty good site to check out for digital cameras.

• Options

<< <i>I'm listening, too!

While y'all are advising bosox, tell me what you think of THIS. I have PM'ed bigd349 about it and he mentioned he might be willing to do a swap on an early US gold coin I have. Is his a good camera? Is the price right? I'm ready to get one and start struggling up the learning curve.

(Another newbie named Rob who has never graduated from scanners) >>

I too PM'd with interest but Dave told me I was second in line HMMMM...... Yeah that is a pretty decent camera, my cousin has one, you can get some price comparisons on E-bay. All my coin pictures are
    from a Sony MVC FD-83, much older and less capable, and not even in the Mega Pixel range. You can also do a google search on the model number for additional information. There are alot of good digital
    cameras out there, just be sure to get one with a macro capability.
  • Options
    theboz11theboz11 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭
    You really DON"T need that much camera to take good quality pictures for the internet,,, I use a Fujifilm 2.1meg pixels $129,,, Check the pictures I post and in my albums in the sig line. By time you go through the picture editing and compression to post to the web, most of what is photoed has been lost, even though you can't notice it with the naked eye. If you want HUGE photos and prints ,then a camera like the one being discussed is great. For the Internet anything over 2megpix is overkill.
  • Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,125 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would give my advise but too many people here have seen my digital photos and I don't want to be laughed at . . .

again. image

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I would give my advise but too many people here have seen my digital photos and I don't want to be laughed at . . .

again. image >>

In your case Don the camera is not the issue!image
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
    MSD61MSD61 Posts: 3,382
    In truth I use a run of the mill, 3.2mp, kodak easyshare cx4310 camera. It's not one of the "big gun" cameras but does the jobimage

P.S. Nice to see you're a Sox fanimage
  • Options
    I may have a used Olympus C5050 for sale soonimage
    Bill

09/07/2006
  • Options
    MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭
    I'm happy with my Nikon Coolpix 950 (older). It has superb macro capabilities, as do the newer Nikon models.

Boz has a good point....unless you are looking to produce 600dpi or better images for print, then a Fuji, Canon, etc. would be suitable. You can get 3 megapixel cameras today for next to nothing, so why buy less? In 2 years, the defacto standards will be 5-6 megapixels cams using 1gig-20x CF cards and priced at less than $500.

The other consideration for printing is, of course, you'll need one of the new 1440 dpi printers with more colors than CYMK to realize the true potential of a raw TIFF image which will be in the 5-6meg file size range.

I would look at a good digicam review site somewhere on the web......

imageimage

• Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,125 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>In your case Don the camera is not the issue! >>

Thanks Michael, I can always count on you for an encouraging word.

Kelly has hexed you van.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    bosoxbosox Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks guys.
    Numismatic author & owner of the Uncommon Cents collections. 2011 Fred Bowman award winner, 2020 J. Douglas Ferguson award winner, & 2022 Paul Fiocca award winner.

http://www.victoriancent.com