Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Opinions, please

What do you think about these colors?

Thanksimage

Comments

• Options
    I like #2 best, I would feel much better if they were in NGC or Pcgs slabs. image
    Terry

eBay Store

DPOTD Jan 2005, Meet the Darksiders
  • Options
    'Greattoning' is a great source for artificially toned coins. You could probably master the technique yourself with enough time and patience. Personally, I'm not into it enough to pay a premium for it and certainly not the $6.50 shipping he wants.
    Brad Swain

World Coin & PM Collector
    My Coin Info Pages <> My All Experts Profile
  • Options
    farthingfarthing Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭
    Nice fingerprint on #1. Remember that the 1/2 penny are fairly small coins.

I think I like #2 the best, then #1
    R.I.P. Wayne, Brad
    Collecting:
    Conder tokens
    19th & 20th Century coins from Great Britain and the Realm
  • Options
    AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭
    The last time I made a comment on this guy's offerings I got into deep do-do, this time I am keeping my mouth shut!image
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
    AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭
    Caveat emptor!

There, now I am keeping my mouth shut!image
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
    AskariAskari Posts: 3,713
    I have a real problem with the "toning" on #1. The color laydown on the reverse doesn't look normal to me -- at least I can't think of any way it would tone like that. Perhaps it's the time of night or I just lack imagination. image
    Askari

Come on over ... to The Dark Side! image
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think the toning is neat, but geez, these are common decimal coins in PCI slabs.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    I wouldn't pay more the a couple of $$ for them, I am not an expert on AT, but I have done similar things in my toaster oven. Like LordM said they are fairly modern coins so I wouldnt pay a large premium for them. They could have toned that way in some one's attic still in the original mint package.
  • Options
    wybritwybrit Posts: 6,953 ✭✭✭
    If the coins had always been left in the case, they never would have toned like that - they would just get an ugly haze.

I once brought back some BU decimal bronze back from the UK while on business but forgot about it and left it in a leather pocket of my briefcase. Well over a year later, the coins were found having toning similar to these coins shown. Call my coins UT (unintentional toning).
    Former owner, Cambridge Gate collection.
  • Options
    laurentyvanlaurentyvan Posts: 4,243 ✭✭✭
    Not too long ago those first pictures (edited to add:all) would have been laughed off the world coin forum as being hugely AT and not worth anyones time..image

One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics
    is that you end up being governed by inferiors. – Plato
  • Options
    cachemancacheman Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭
    ...then I'll say it...BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA, they aren't worth anyone's time! image
  • Options
    ColinCMRColinCMR Posts: 1,482 ✭✭✭
    I like the look of #2 the most
  • Options
    newsmannewsman Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭

<< <i>geez, these are common decimal coins in PCI slabs. >>

Whether AT or not, this comment says it all. If someone did cook those coins, I hope it turns out to be a waste of time and effort.
  • Options
    newsmannewsman Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭
    Duplicate post deleted. image
  • Options
    theboz11theboz11 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Please forgive my ignorance but what techniques are used to produce AT? >>

That's one I would like to know, I would imagine "HEAT"( How much I don't Know), Maybe some sulfur(Matches???). Somebody said Pure Oxygen(sound dangerous). And somebody puts sulfur in vasoline and applies it to the coin(messy and how to control the end result)

Lightsiders seem to know alot about ruining coins this way to get more moneyimage
  • Options
    AvarelAvarel Posts: 143 ✭✭
    For whats its worth....

I bought several GB proofs sets several years ago (those common on Ebay) that had toning on several of the coins. Each of them have great rainbow toning of sorts, nice hues but nothing similar to this toning, and definitely not something I'd pay to slab given you can get the sets for a few coins on a good day on Ebay.

In some respects, these auctions remind me of the 71-73 Canadian dollars with that foam insert. Given what I've seen on those things, anything is possible I suppose.

Avarel

Chirsto duce vincamus

Pro Deo Et Patria
  • Options
    MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭

<< <i>In some respects, these auctions remind me of the 71-73 Canadian dollars with that foam insert. Given what I've seen on those things, anything is possible I suppose. >>

My guess would be entraping the coin between that type of foam and doing a low temp "bake" over a period of weeks. Suppose you put the coin between the foam, then encase in some standard corrugated sheets, tape it up with masking tape, and just place it on your gas grill rack, and leave the grill in the sun (No! Don't turn the gas on!!! image). Just the radiant heat would "Cook" the coin at 130-150 degrees F.......

You could also try this by placing the coins into a WR folder and exposing it to "extremes".......and no, I've never tried this but for grins I think I will.

If I were grading for the Big 3, this crap would always be BB'd, except for known entities like the 71-73 Can. dollars where they are known to "turn" in this fashion.