Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Overproduced or not, Pudge's RC's should be going up.

Unless he's on your fantasy team, it seems like nobody is noticing that Pudge is hitting .375 and leading the Majors in hitting right now. I just checked his price fluctuation on thepit and his 91 Ultra Update is lower right now than when the season started. I guess his RC's are overproduced and playing for his third team in 3 seasons isn't helping, but this guy just might be the best all around catcher of all time. Would his cards gain any steam at all if he wins the AL Batting title?
Baseball Card Heaven, the closest card shop to the Las Vegas Strip.

Our current ebay auctions, and of course BaseBallCardHeaven.com

Comments

• Options
    helionauthelionaut Posts: 1,555 ✭✭
    Whatever gets him continuous, loving media attention will make the cards go up. If the Tigers make the playoffs and the commentators focus on him as THE reason why, that might help. If he gets the same MVP buzz going that Scott Rolen is getting, that might help. But playing in Detroit for an improved but still mediocre team with still little chance of winning the division, only a truly exceptional personal season will get his cards out of the doldrums, and merely winning the batting title won't do it unless it's in the .390s.

The Ultra RC is kind of problematic. I don't think it was extremly overproduced, but since it came in a boxed set you knew you would get one if you opened it. I don't know how many would have been made, maybe 50,000-75,000? It's high for today, but even compared to 1992 Bowman it's not that bad. I never understood why his cards were so low, though I'm prejudiced being a huge fan of his. Actually, my being a fan hasn't helped his values since I don't actively collect his stuff.
    WANTED:
    2005 Origins Old Judge Brown #/20 and Black 1/1s, 2000 Ultimate Victory Gold #/25
    2004 UD Legends Bake McBride autos & parallels, and 1974 Topps #601 PSA 9
    Rare Grady Sizemore parallels, printing plates, autographs

Nothing on ebay
  • Options
    calleochocalleocho Posts: 1,569 ✭✭
    while he might be one if not the premier catcher of our times, he has a really egomaniac personality.

To win in baseball you need a team.

The marlins are in first place and he could have been an icon for south florida.

in the hobby #'s will only take you so far and that reflects in prices.
    "Women should be obscene and not heard. "
    Groucho Marx
  • Options
    jrdolanjrdolan Posts: 2,549 ✭✭
    Not many catchers get into the HOF, only one or two per "generation" (a loose term in baseball). There have been generations without any HOF catchers. This generation it's Piazza and Pudge.
  • Options
    schr1stschr1st Posts: 1,677 ✭✭
    If you want a good card of Pudge to buy, try his 1989 Star Glossy Gastonia Rangers card. It's a colored bordered card shipped in team bags (IE: easily damaged) and supposedly limited to only 500 sets made. I'm not sure if I belive that, since according to the pop report, PSA has graded 461 of them, and Beckett 28, but who knows when it comes to Star minor league sets. What I do know is that many moons ago, there was a person on eBay that was buying all of them that came up for sale. Mark Murphy had a bunch of the PSA graded cards that he would sell one a week, and for about 2 months I kept gettting shut out, with prices ranging from $50 to $150. I ended up getting desperate and asked Mark if he had an extra one that he'd sell off-eBay, so that I'd have the chance to at least get one for my collection, which he nicely did (I paid about $70, which was the ending price that particular week for it). Even though I had one, I kept following the bidding patterns on the card, and this guy was a machine: he won nearly all of the auctions that came up! I'd guess he probably ended up with over 100 of the supposedly 500 cards, almost all of them 9's. I haven't checked to see what the recent history has been on the card, but if you see any for sale, I'd say grab one. I know I'm glad that I did!
    Who is Rober Maris?
  • Options
    wallst32wallst32 Posts: 513 ✭✭
    1991 Topps Traded Tiffany would be the card to own if you're looking for higher value and potential appreciation. All of his other stuff is just way overproduced, including the 91 Ultra. I think there's a perception that set is "scarer" because it was a premium brand at the time and rose in price quickly when it came out. But it is actually probably easier to find Ultra Update singles and sets than it is the regular Fleer Update issue (not saying one is scarcer than the other, but my point is the product is everywhere).

The 1991 Tiffany in PSA 9 was always on my wantlist but I never picked it up. At one time (probably 1.5-2 years ago) it was selling for $175-200. Maybe a 6-8 months ago it had dropped down to $80-100. I haven't looked at it since then. It can be difficult to find one that's centered 50/50.
  • Options
    << If you want a good card of Pudge to buy, try his 1989 Star Glossy Gastonia Rangers card. >>

That's all I buy now in baseball and hockey. Minor league stuff with somewhat reasonable print runs!
  • Options
    he has always been a great player, just never on the level of an AROD, JETER, SOSA, PUJOLS, etc. as far as a hobby standpoint. i don't think his move to detroit will help either, no matter if he won the triple crown. i have always liked him, he just never excited me like watching bonds or griffey, plus his rc's are overproduced too.
  • Options
    Gemmy10Gemmy10 Posts: 2,990
    <<There have been generations without any HOF catchers. This generation it's Piazza and Pudge.>>

Mr. Carter

image Wecome Back,Welcome Back, Welcome Back image