Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Question for you slabbed coins collectors

ajaanajaan Posts: 17,070 ✭✭✭✭✭
Let say you can buy a certified MS63 George III 6p for $x. Would you pay $15 more for a certified MS64?

DPOTD-3
'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don

Comments

• newsmannewsman Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭
    Depends on the eye appeal. I would pay that much more if the 64 is noticeably better in some respect.
  • only if it had more eye appeal. That 1913 1d I just got from NEN was the lower grade of the three in stock, with the other two being 65s. I bought the 64 for $30 less and it (IMO) was the better looking coin. image
    Terry

eBay Store

DPOTD Jan 2005, Meet the Darksiders
  • I agree with Terry, eye appeal would have something to do with it. I know with Liteside coins one technical grade point higher can more than double the coin's value.
    A higher numerical grade doesn't always make the better coin, but I would not flinch on $15.00 if it were a better looking coin. However depending on cost I may not be able to
    afford that higher grade. That's why my Vicky young head crown (1847) is an AU coin, I wont spring for much bigger bucks.

• ajaanajaan Posts: 17,070 ✭✭✭✭✭
    OK, what if the MS63 and the MS64 were the same coin?

DPOTD-3

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • I wanna know how one coin can be in two slabs with two different grades, does a ANACS slab fit inside a ACG slab? image
  • AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭

<< <i>OK, what if the MS63 and the MS64 were the same coin? >>

Then I would only pay $7.50 more.
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • ajaanajaan Posts: 17,070 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The point I'm trying to get at is: Is it worth it to spend $15 to have a coin upgraded from MS63 to MS64? I buy an ANACS coin that is undergraded and send it to NGC, or PCGS and it gets upgraded to MS64. Worth it?

DPOTD-3

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,719 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good question... depends on the date and the TPG company. For an 1818 I would pay the 15.00 and be happy if there is some eye appeal.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• image I have slabbed coins that are under graded and over graded, guess I would/could consider getting them regraded if I wanted to sell them or something like that, especially if it was worth more than
    the cost of the gradding. I don't consider my expertise strong enough to determine that a MS-64 holdered coin would grade for fairly certian to a 65. image
  • Do you plan on selling the coin soon? -- if so, yes.

Do you plan on putting the coin into a registry set? -- if so, yes.

Do you want some toning? -- if so, no.

I'm sure there are a dozen more rules.

• coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,719 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ajaan:

I guess it really boils down to two issues... the first is eye appeal and the second is plastic preference... I'll stop at this point because eye appeal has a subjective component and plastic preference is something that is the right of a collector to choose... (no matter how wrong they may be...image )

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• GDJMSPGDJMSP Posts: 799
    I buy a lot of slabbed coins - to ensure authenticity. And since that is the primary reason - I would never have one re-graded. Even if it was free image
    knowledge ........ share it
  • JamminJJamminJ Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Let say you can buy a certified MS63 George III 6p for $x. Would you pay $15 more for a certified MS64? >>

Depends on what X is. To move from an accurately graded (by US standards) 63 to a 65 I'll often pay a 50% premium of so. I'm not nearly as jazzed by 64s, but I'll still apy a premium, lets say 15-20%. Therefore, as long as the coin in 63 costs morth than $80 or so I would likely pay the extra $15. This applied for sight unseen buys for fairly tough coins whihc cannot be cherry picked form dealers.

With the coin in hand I'll pay what the coin and plastic combination commands.

-JamminJ

<< <i>OK, what if the MS63 and the MS64 were the same coin? >>

I would probably still pay a bit more, assuming the coin could be sold on e-bay for more. As long as my downside is limited I'll take a chance.

-JamminJ

<< <i>The point I'm trying to get at is: Is it worth it to spend $15 to have a coin upgraded from MS63 to MS64? I buy an ANACS coin that is undergraded and send it to NGC, or PCGS and it gets upgraded to MS64. Worth it? >>

Personally I would, as long as the coin is worth more than a few bucks. I like slabs and having and undergraded coin just kind of irks me.

-JamminJ
  • SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,445 ✭✭✭✭
    The point I'm trying to get at is: Is it worth it to spend $15 to have a coin upgraded from MS63 to MS64? I buy an ANACS coin that is undergraded and send it to NGC, or PCGS and it gets upgraded to MS64. Worth it?

No. If the coin was seriously undergraded, and did not make the MS grades yes, but for a micrograde, no.
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3