Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

digicam question

Anyone here use a Sony Cybershot ?? How do they do on coins. Circuit City has a 3.2 megapix on sale for $179.
Terry

eBay Store

DPOTD Jan 2005, Meet the Darksiders

Comments

• Options
  • Options
    AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭
    In a word Terry:

Ni-kon!image
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
    "I got a Nikon camera
    I love to take the photograph.
    So mama don't take my Kodachrome away..........." image
    Terry

eBay Store

• Options
    I saw a nice 5 mp for $139.00 complete. It was a German camera I think on HSN. Can retrive the name if you like. I considered purchasing it myself. image
  • Options
    I have a cybershot that goes up to 5 mega pixels. I haven't really got very good coin pics with it yet but I'm convinced it is more user error than camera. The macro facility will focus nicely down to about 4 inches away from the object but I can't seem to hold the camera steady enough or rig up a good frame to stop the image blurring

I will have a look through the photos I have taken and email you some examples if you pm me with your address

Dr J
  • Options
    going by Circuit City tonite to look at some. Thanks for all the infos. image
    Terry

eBay Store

• Options
    AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I saw a nice 5 mp for $139.00 complete. It was a German camera I think on HSN. Can retrive the name if you like. I considered purchasing it myself. image >>

Hello Debbie, long time no see!image
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    May I suggest checking Steve's Digicams when you think about/research a camera? The site is an unbelievable database of reviews with all the specs of every camera you could ever want... plus lots of example photos in all different settings (landscapes, people, MACRO, etc.)

What you want to focus (haha! get it? image) on most is the picture size and macro. For example, my Nikon Coolpix 4500 (which I LOVE) shoots at 4MP with a .75" macro (which is incredible for closeups like this one:

...and this one

I'm not sure, but these might have even been scaled down a little from the original.

Also, look into how you'll be shooting. Most cameras will require a copy stand to shoot down--I like the CP4500 since it has a swiveling lens--I use a 4", $5 mini tripod that I can take to shows or anywhere else and shoot with ease.

Now, to answer your question on the Cybershot... never used it image Oh, well, can't know 'em all image

Also, you may find This essay I wrote on buying a camera and taking pictures helpful.

Good luck!

Jeremy
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    wybritwybrit Posts: 6,953 ✭✭✭
    Former owner, Cambridge Gate collection.
  • Options
    that's a great site!! Thanks for the link. image
    Terry

eBay Store

• Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I screwed up linking something image

I'm such a failure image
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    Hello Michael,

Ditto! Miss seeing everyone. Life in general has gotten a little out of hands these days. Need to cure that soon! Was up your way a couple of weeks ago. Just for the day however. Perhaps the next trip will be longer. I hear you have wonderful restaurants in Asheville.image
    Will have to get some recomendations from you. We have a Residence Inn up there as well.