Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

I got scolded at the Post Office!

I have sent about 500 flat rate ($3.85) priority mail envelopes containing cards over the last 2 years. I typically use click-n-ship and bring them to the post office and drop them in the "out of town" slot inside the Post Office to get them to my clients ASAP.

For some reason today was different. I dropped about 10 flat rate prioroty mail envelopes in the slot and a lady bolted out from behind the slot and confrontationally yelled at me "Heloooooo!!!! If these weigh more than 13 ounces, I'm returning them to you!!!!!!!! you MUST bring them to the clerk!!!!"

I was stunned as at her abrupt response, my line of thought was that maybe now there is a weight limit on the flat-rate envelope but then I remember I always enter 2 pounds when using click-n-ship which is more than the package actually weighs anyhow and click-n-ship assigns the $3.85 price, and I felt that she just killed the convenience of click-n-ship that I now have to wait on line. I replied, "I thought priority flat rate envelope was flat rate regardless of weight." to which she rolled her eyes to the ceiling and waddled back behind the door.

Unfortunately for her, I have a regional postal inspector who lives next door. He is responsible for the whole northeast corridor. I asked him what did I do so wrong to get such a exaspertaed response. He did explain that there IS a rule for security reasons about 16 ounces or more cannot be placed in that out of town slot, and if it's over it must be either handed to a clerk, letter carrier or put in a mailbox. But he felt it was inappropriate how I was treated. I simply stated how much I have done it in the past, and there is no sign to that effect and I could not find anything on www.usps.com that states that, but also that if the woman simply explained it (she never told me what I was doing wrong), I would have gladly placed it in the mailbox outside the post office.

He is going to report the incident to the local postmaster of that branch.

Thank god I'm moving in 2 weeks so I hope she doesn't go postal on me!

Comments

• Options
    acowaacowa Posts: 945 ✭✭

<< <i>He is going to report the incident to the local postmaster of that branch. >>

She will probably get promoted.

Regards,

Alan
  • Options
    ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭
    I do the exact same thing when I ship my Ebay items. I have no time to get to the PO during 9-5, but the lobby is open after that to access the PO boxes. I always drop the items in the slot, after printing an online label. No one is there to yell at me then, however...
  • Options
    jrinckjrinck Posts: 1,321 ✭✭
    The PO I mostly go to has a nice mix of characters working behind the counter:

CHARACTER #1: Mid-50's Career guy who could pass for Santa Claus. This is the clerk who also reminds one of Sergeant Hartman (Full Metal Jacket). When you get to the counter you had better have ALL forms filled out correctly and know how to succinctly state exactly what service you would like. If you falter, or seem confused, the wrath of Khan will be heaped upon your unfortunate soul. Typical quote: "What do you mean you don't know what ZIP code? If you don't know where it's going then how are we supposed to know how to get it there?"

CHARACTER #2: The High Inquisitor. No matter how carefully you package your item, this lady will find some fault with it. She will even question the amount of insurance you are asking for regardless of what you tell her is inside it. Typical quote: "Baseball cards aren't worth that much! Come on now!"

CHARACTER #3: The Gabber. It doesn't matter how long the line is, nor whether she is the only one currently working, she will talk your ear off. The others in line will blame you and sneer when you turn around with that familiar, exasperated look. Typical quote: "You're sending this to Montreal? I went on vacation there a few years ago! Did you know that's where William Shatner grew up? Yeah, he went to McGill College--that's also where my great-grandfather went. Did you go to college?"

CHARACTER #4: The Stamp Peddler. While they are all required to ask you if you want to buy stamps, the Peddler will really make you feel guilty if you decline her offer. Typical quote: "No stamps? You know you need them! You're going to run out! Fine, you're loss!"
  • Options
    If there is anything about the eBay card business I hate, it is the PO. Today I took my little card that was left in my mailbox yesterday letting me know I had an insured item and I could pick it up at the PO after 9AM today. At 11:30AM I drove the three miles to the PO, grabbed number 98...they were calling 74 as I walked in (this is So Cal). By the time they got to me, I was half asleep. I put three $.60 card envelopes down and asked the clerk to hand cancel them. I then gave him the insured item notification. He was gone for ten minutes, and when he came back he told me he couldn't find it. I asked him who was around who could find it...he asked if I wanted to see a supervisor. I said no...I gave him my phone number and told him to call when they found it, and I would tell them when they could personally deliver it to me. I then told the seller (it was a box of basketball cards) to file an insurance form. I saw my regular carrier this afternoon. He was off yesterday, but he said he saw the item at the PO this morning. He said he would deliver it tomorrow. He then asked me to sign the card. I said I would when the package is delivered.

I hate going to the PO...especially in Orange County, California.
  • Options

<< <i>The PO I mostly go to has a nice mix of characters working behind the counter:

CHARACTER #1: Mid-50's Career guy who could pass for Santa Claus. This is the clerk who also reminds one of Sergeant Hartman (Full Metal Jacket). When you get to the counter you had better have ALL forms filled out correctly and know how to succinctly state exactly what service you would like. If you falter, or seem confused, the wrath of Khan will be heaped upon your unfortunate soul. Typical quote: "What do you mean you don't know what ZIP code? If you don't know where it's going then how are we supposed to know how to get it there?"

CHARACTER #2: The High Inquisitor. No matter how carefully you package your item, this lady will find some fault with it. She will even question the amount of insurance you are asking for regardless of what you tell her is inside it. Typical quote: "Baseball cards aren't worth that much! Come on now!"

CHARACTER #3: The Gabber. It doesn't matter how long the line is, nor whether she is the only one currently working, she will talk your ear off. The others in line will blame you and sneer when you turn around with that familiar, exasperated look. Typical quote: "You're sending this to Montreal? I went on vacation there a few years ago! Did you know that's where William Shatner grew up? Yeah, he went to McGill College--that's also where my great-grandfather went. Did you go to college?"

CHARACTER #4: The Stamp Peddler. While they are all required to ask you if you want to buy stamps, the Peddler will really make you feel guilty if you decline her offer. Typical quote: "No stamps? You know you need them! You're going to run out! Fine, you're loss!" >>

Wow!!!! We must use the sam PO.
  • Options
    There's a very, very minor fear that one day I'll have a new mail carrier who collects/buys sportscards.
    “Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.” - George Carlin
  • Options
    DirtyHarryDirtyHarry Posts: 1,914 ✭✭
    67 - a few years back, I had a new "mailman" who actually was a man in place of the lady letter carrier. My Beckett's started showing up sans overwrap, with no promo cards that they were inserting at the time. The second time it happened, I waited for him one day at the curb. Of course, he knew nothing about it, but after that encounter, the Becketts resumed showing up with the overwrap.

As for the rest, find one clerk at the PO who knows what you are about and let people go in front of you if needed so that you can deal with that person. Similar to getting a bad haircut.
    "A man's got to know his limitations...." Dirty Harry

Unfocused, impulsive collector of everything ...
  • Options
    I gotta tell you, they kill me with that 3/4" thick minimum for adding delivery confirmation to first class postage. I hate having to pay extra for the confirmation if the envelope isn't thick enough.

Scott
    Registry Sets:
    T-205 Gold PSA 4 & up
    1967 Topps BB PSA 8 & up
    1975 Topps BB PSA 9 & up
    1959 Topps FB PSA 8 & up
    1976 Topps FB PSA 9 & up
    1981 Topps FB PSA 10
    1976-77 Topps BK PSA 9 & up
    1988-89 Fleer BK PSA 10
    3,000 Hit Club RC PSA 5 & Up

My Sets
  • Options

<< <i>If there is anything about the eBay card business I hate, it is the PO. >>

Amen to that. Between long lines, poor service, and stolen packages, I loathe going there. Not much else we can do though.

Brian

edited to add - DirtyHarry don't feel bad, my Sports Illustrated and Maxim mags are always creased and pages folded.
  • Options
    VarghaVargha Posts: 2,392 ✭✭
    Vic, who posts here, is a postal carrier. He asked me one day, "David, do you know what it means when the flag is flying at half mast at the Post Office?" I mumbled something like, "I think it means a dignitary died or something like that." He quickly corrected me. "Nope," he snapped back. "It means there is a job opening." Ever since that day, I have always gone out of my way to be extra nice to the postal workers. You can never be too sure.
  • Options
    TipemTipem Posts: 881

Have you noticed that the flag has been flying at half mast for an extraordinarily long time ???????

For all of you Post Office bashers : If you don't like it....... Move to Iraq !!!!!! image

I haven't heard anything bad on the news about their postal service image

Vic
    Please be kind to me. Even though I'm now a former postal employee, I'm still capable of snapping at any time.
  • Options
    magellanmagellan Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭
    Vic , I love the PO !!!!!!!! Honest ! Vargha's over there , he is the one who was talking s^&* about you.
    Topps Heritage

Now collecting:
    Topps Heritage

1957 Topps BB Ex+-NM
    All Yaz Items 7+
    Various Red Sox
    Did I leave anything out?
  • Options

<< <i>The PO I mostly go to has a nice mix of characters working behind the counter:

CHARACTER #4: The Stamp Peddler. While they are all required to ask you if you want to buy stamps, the Peddler will really make you feel guilty if you decline her offer. Typical quote: "No stamps? You know you need them! You're going to run out! Fine, you're loss!" >>

That's incredibly funny and incredibly true....
  • Options

Magellan,

I have never been out West but I can see that I will have to take a trip just to see that Vargha fella.Me being a redneck and all,I guess I will send him a tape of that movie "Deliverance" along with a note of my impending arrival . image

David,

Looks like I'll be seeing y'all next year. image

Vic
    Please be kind to me. Even though I'm now a former postal employee, I'm still capable of snapping at any time.
  • Options

<< <i>Magellan,

I have never been out West but I can see that I will have to take a trip just to see that Vargha fella.Me being a redneck and all,I guess I will send him a tape of that movie "Deliverance" along with a note of my impending arrival . image

David,

Looks like I'll be seeing y'all next year. image
    Hey, Reb...I hate to tell you, but there are about ten thousand 'Deliverance' wanna be rednecks prowling the streets of west LA. The Latinos eat you guys for breakfast .

Vic >>

• Options
    BigKidAtHeartBigKidAtHeart Posts: 1,799 ✭✭
    I have a GREAT local mail carrier
    and a GREAT local Post Office full of wonderful, friendly workers.

BUT

I have on occasion (in and out of town) visited other POs
    and they all, without exception, sucked!

but hey, It makes me really appreciate my local office.
    imageimage
  • Options
    JonBJonB Posts: 495
    first off, I would never have to go to my post office if the postman would actually knock, or ring my doorbell letting me know I need to sign for a package. Instead, he always leaves the brown slip in the mailbox letting me know that he "missed" me, and that I have to go to the post office to claim my package. none of that would really bother me other than the fact its about 4 days a week, lol.

The way my post office works:

There are 3 registers, 99% of the time there is only 1 cashier there, and about 20 people in line. Of course 3 or 4 people in line in front of me will also be picking up packages, so when they hand the lady their slip, she has to go in the back for 10 minutes to locate it.

Many times have I walked into the post office, 20+ people standing in line, and there not be one cashier behind the counter. And magically, about 10 minutes after I get there (by which time there is another 5 people in line behind me) 1 cashier will appear.

Simply put, its a freaking joke. I know I pay more going to the pack-and-mail place down the street to mail my packages, but it worth the extra $0.50 because I easily save an hour a day. Its just a shame my postman doesn't know how to ring a doorbell.
  • Options

Parrotpaul,

If they are prowling the streets,they are neither rednecks nor Rebs.If your LA boys can cross a swamp in the pitch black night,or check out a bear on the ground right under their feet,then I will be impressed.

Vic
  • Options
    Now that we have some postal guys on here, I have to ask a question I have wondered about for years.

I'm a retired school teacher, so I have an understanding of the kinds of money and bennies local, state, and federal employees get. I was one for 34 years.

Do all mail carriers leave little postcards in their residents' mailboxes at Christmas time for the good will, or is it done to 'guilt' a tip from someone? Now I'm laid back and cool enough to go with the 'good will' motive, but I'm pragmatic enough to really entertain the latter motive.

This year I will be leaving a gift certificate for my carrier. Not because he does his job like any other public emploees do. Those others who risk dismissal for taking gifts, but because he has carried a whole bunch of extra stuff to me, and he has lugged a bunch of stuff from me. He worked overtime for me this year.

But, it really is kind of embarrasing that some mail carriers stoop to the level of newspaper deliverer..they do the same thing, but they don't enjoy the pay nor the bennies mail carriers do. What's up with that, folks? You you get a lot of stuff at Christmas?
  • Options

<< <i>Parrotpaul,

If they are prowling the streets,they are neither rednecks nor Rebs.If your LA boys can cross a swamp in the pitch black night,or check out a bear on the ground right under their feet,then I will be impressed.

Vic >>

Why would they want to?
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Parrotpaul,

Vic >>

Why would they want to? >>

hey, Reb..I'm just funin' with ya, but check out what the parrot does when he ain't writing on bulletin boards or selling and buying cardboard. This will make you droool and think twice about the West...ever stepped on a rattlesnake? CHECK IT OUT
  • Options

Parrotpaul,

I would hope that those carriers are putting a stamp on those postcards.Otherwise,that is mail fraud.We fall under the same rules that the general public does.Anything that we put in a mailbox is required to have postage affixed.If your mailman is soliciting gifts,then he really is a scumbag.

BTW,

I am not a postal carrier,although I did that job for a few years.I am presently a clerk that works in the box section delivering post office box mail and also works the window for a couple of hours a day.I was always reluctant to take gifts at Christmas time because I felt that we got paid very well and it was our job.

Hey Paul,

I just read the last part of your thread,and I am enjoying the banter.I hope that you don't think that I am taking this seriously !!!

Yes,I have stepped on a rattlesnake and it ended up on my dinner plate.It was an eye opening experience(stepping on the snake),to say the least.It was an enjoyable experience (dinner). image

Vic

Just checked out the pics. Very Cool !!!!
  • Options

<< <i>Parrotpaul,

I would hope that those carriers are putting a stamp on those postcards.Otherwise,that is mail fraud.We fall under the same rules that the general public does.Anything that we put in a mailbox is required to have postage affixed.If your mailman is soliciting gifts,then he really is a scumbag.

BTW,

I am not a postal carrier,although I did that job for a few years.I am presently a clerk that works in the box section delivering post office box mail and also works the window for a couple of hours a day.I was always reluctant to take gifts at Christmas time because I felt that we got paid very well and it was our job. >>

I admire your professionalism, Reb. Yes our carrier does put a stamp on his postcard. BTW...other than that bit of cheese, the carrier is as good a carrier as anyone could hope for.
  • Options
    SlangNRoxSlangNRox Posts: 774 ✭✭
    I like to visit the post office that is located in a pharmacy close to my work. There is never a line and it makes everything so much easier.

I have had nothing wrong with mailmen except that I had a xbox that never made it too my house. Luckily it was insured, but trying to get the insurance money wasn't a fun experience.
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Luckily for me my mail carrier happens to be my catcher, and I use the PO at MaryKnoll which hardly anyone in town (nose) exists.

However the PO in town has the same cast of charactors as described.
    Good for you.
  • Options
    wolfbearwolfbear Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭

All the people at the counter of my Post Office are great folks and I enjoy dealing with them.
    They have to stand there all day and explain the same rules over and over again to one moron after another.

Also, I always give the guy who delivers my mail a 20 dollar bribe
    ... err ... I mean tip at the end of the year. He appreciates it, and I get great service.

Pix of 'My Kids'

"How about a little fire Scarecrow ?"
  • Options
    If you print your label online, your OK, you can drop your package anywhere, no matter what the weight (without stamps).

However, it is packages over 16 ounces and it bears stamps, it needs to be handed to a postal worker or put in your own residential mailbox.

Jeremy
  • Options
    My letter carrier is a great guy. He will leave the insurance slip in my box, along with the insured package if I'm not at the door. That way, all I have to do is sign the slip and leave it in the box. Since I buy cards several times a month, this saves me quite a bit of time having to stand in line waiting for packages.
    You spilled WHAT on my 1952 Topps Mantle?!?!?! Doh!!

My 1952 Topps Baseball Set
  • Options
    ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭
    My carrier is a great guy as well, but he won't leave the packages like that (I am almost not sure I would want him to in case someone decides to tamper with the mail). But, I am occasionally home during the day - ring the bell, man! It would save me a lot of unneeded trips to the PO...
  • Options
    My regular carrier delivered the box today. My wife answered the doorbell, and she didn't ask where he found the box nor did he offer to tell her.
  • Options
    purelyPSApurelyPSA Posts: 712 ✭✭
    Lemme guess, it was missing your T-206 Magie card....image
  • Options
    Guys,

I used to have exactly the same post office. Then, about a year ago, everything changed. I don't really know why, either. It muct be a new manager of the branch. The same people work there, but now ,whenever the line starts to get long, they always bring in extra people to wait on you, and even have a worker go through the line taking anything that can be done without need of a cash register, like pickups, etc.
    Where I used to always wait at least 15 minutes each visit, now I rarely wait even 1 minute.image

I even commented to the workers how much better the place is, and you wouldn't have believed how proud they all felt.

Like I said, I don't know what made the difference, but they have taken customer service to a new level. Which is quite a compliment for the PO.
    Ole Doctor Buck of the Popes of Hell

• Options
    RobBobGolfRobBobGolf Posts: 414 ✭✭✭
    I have the Greatest Post Office!!!

Everyone calls me by name. They know what kind of service I want based on the package. My mail carrier rings my doorbell for oversized stuff. The building is less than 1/2 mile from the house. People come from other zip codes for the great service.

Wolfbear gave you guys excellent advice. I tip my clerks 40 bucks each every Christmas, and it lasts all year. Try it.

RobBob
    Serving Ice-Custard-Happiness since 2006

• Options

<< <i>Guys,

I used to have exactly the same post office. Then, about a year ago, everything changed. I don't really know why, either. It muct be a new manager of the branch. The same people work there, but now ,whenever the line starts to get long, they always bring in extra people to wait on you, and even have a worker go through the line taking anything that can be done without need of a cash register, like pickups, etc.
    Where I used to always wait at least 15 minutes each visit, now I rarely wait even 1 minute.image

I even commented to the workers how much better the place is, and you wouldn't have believed how proud they all felt.

Like I said, I don't know what made the difference, but they have taken customer service to a new level. Which is quite a compliment for the PO. >>

They do the same thing at the Irvine, California post office. There are enormous numbers of overseas shipments, but there are always enough people to do the counters, others to sell stamps, and an other to assist those who are picking up mail. Down the road in Laguna Hills, the business is never-ending, bit there are always 2-3 empty counter slots. I drive to Irvine...it's easier.
  • Options
    KnopflerKnopfler Posts: 783 ✭✭✭
    Hey ParrotPaul,

Just sent you a PM.
  • Options

<< <i>Hey ParrotPaul,

Just sent you a PM. >>

Where do I go to retrieve it?
  • Options
    KnopflerKnopfler Posts: 783 ✭✭✭
    Up at the top of the page, it should say "1 new message" or something like that. It's right under the "Collectors Universe Message Boards" logo.
  • Options
    DeutscherGeistDeutscherGeist Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭✭
    Parrotpaul,

I use the Irvine Post office too. The one accross the street from UCI.
    "So many of our DREAMS at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we SUMMON THE WILL they soon become INEVITABLE "- Christopher Reeve

BST: Tennessebanker, Downtown1974, LarkinCollector, nendee
  • Options

<< <i>Parrotpaul,

I use the Irvine Post office too. The one accross the street from UCI. >>

I use the one off Sand Canyon Road, and I also use the little annex (it's only open in the morning) in old Irvine where Sand Canyon links to the 5 where Tia-juanas Long Bar and Knowlwood restaurant are. I'm the guy in the gold Lakers 2002 championship basball cap. image
  • Options

<< <i>Up at the top of the page, it should say "1 new message" or something like that. It's right under the "Collectors Universe Message Boards" logo. >>

Thank you, sir...I found it.