I have this coin from Danish Vestindien from 1767
Silvercoin 12 Skilling Altona mint (i think) under King Christian VII

As you can see, the shipside of the coin is ok,
all is readable: XII : SKILL : DANSKE : AMERIKACANSK : M
but the back is nearly
completly wear of. You can see the top of the "C" and the crown and the words
GOT : REX (crown) D

Now my question:
Who can tell me about the grade and worth of the coin, specially with this bad bagside.
I know this coin is pretty rare, but what do you think?

Wishes

Eric

Scandinavian and US coins are my pleasure!

Comments

• Options
    theboz11theboz11 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭
    There are some ship collectors that would love to see this and will be on the forum later, sorry I can't help you out , but welcome to the forumimage
  • Options
    O'k Eric now I see your thread, you told about. I think you should ask Refrema ---I think that he has a very serious Danish type coins collection. I'll send him PM or e-mail with the link to that thread.
    Besides that, Tbirde once told me, that he can help with the coins, beggining from the year 1600, so let wait, what he know about that coin! image
    N. N.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,215 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The 1767 Danish West Indies 12-skilling coin is cataloged as KM#12 in the second edition Krause catalog. It was struck in .500 silver with a bullion weight of .0522 oz. The Altona mint coin is the most common of the three, with 390,000 pieces made, meaning it is not especially rare, but it can be considered somewhat scarce, I suppose.

2nd edition Krause values the coin at $10.00 in Very Good (VG8). The reverse (ship side) of your coin looks like a VG to me, but of course with the obverse mostly gone, it would only be worth a few dollars. Still, it is an interesting coin, and I like the ship design.

PS- the Copenhagen coin had a mintage of 80,000 and catalogs $12.50 in VG, while the Konigsberg coin had a mintage of 240,000 and catalogs for the same amount as the Altona coin.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    Sorry, that I forgot remind LordM image and probably some others as an experts on that topic image

And the ship is really pretty one!!!
    N. N.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,215 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm not an expert by any means.

I just know how to read a Krause catalog. image

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.