Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Thoughts about "Ancient Creations" coin jewelry?

WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
There's a chain of shop in Vegas (the Venetian, Caesar's, Aladdin) called Ancient Creations that makes high-end jewelry out of ancient world coins.

As a jewelry and art enthusiast, I have to say I think their stuff is beautiful. Very much treating ancient coins as the jewels that they are, and then building stunning and generally complimentary settings around the coins.

Some of the more interesting pieces I saw this past weekend included Chinese "knife" and "spade" money, complete with original patina, set in thick 18k gold settings and offered as brooches and pendants. They do (their categories, not mine): Greek, Roman, Spanish/Portuguese, Byzantine, Oriental, Holy Land, Persian/Parthian, Medieval-European

Here are some samples of their work:

Their prices aren't cheap, either. The 1645 9 pence above with sapphires and diamonds is about $8,000, and the bracelet in the last pic above with emeralds and diamonds in 14k retails for $3,795.

Unfortunately, it *seems* that they give some of the coins a light polish on the high points, and the center of the copper coins in particular appear to have a little rub at the focal point of the coin that gives them a slight "glow", for lack of a better word. Other than that, it seems like they take care not to damage the coins as they sit in the settings.

Is this acceptable artwork, or ugly and blasphemous?

We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
--Severian the Lame

Comments

• Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Link to the home page of the chain:

Ancient Creations home page

Best images are at the bottom of the home page, sorted by category
    We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    theboz11theboz11 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭
    I would put it under the blasphemous catgory, evn though I don't collect them. It does have one bright side though for those that do collect them,,, these are ruined and increase the price on those that are not treated so harshly.image
  • Options
    AskariAskari Posts: 3,713
    Nice jewelry, but I wish they'd simply insert a copy of the real thing rather than ruin rare coins.
    Askari

Come on over ... to The Dark Side! image
  • Options
    I agree with Askari. From the other hand it might be "some sort of popularisation" of these numismatical items in more common sence for more people, than only collectors and scientists. BTW, a few years ago I red the article that Hillary Clinton "got a present" from former Israeli PM I.Rabin and his friend S.Peres -- the medalion with extremely rare Judean coin from the period of Bar-Kohba, that evaluated (the coin only) at about $ 10 000. I heard also that that issue was the matter of serious critics of local and American people--those who heard about that deal, sure image
    N. N.