Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

A Message from the President - Thank You

Hello All,

I just wanted to thank those of you who have taken advantage of writing for the Set Registry portion of SMR and the website. I have received a very positive reaction from the readers - collectors like to hear from other collectors on subjects they really care about.

As a reminder, I encourage the board members to contact me directly about possible interest in contributing an article to SMR - you can reach me at joe@collectors.com.

I look forward to hearing from you and thanks again!

Joe Orlando
PSA President
Joe Orlando
CEO, Collectors Universe, Inc.

Comments

• Options
    Yes, very nicely done! Thank you to our very own Joe Tocco!

Great Football Article on Key Card Sets! Thanks! Jeremy
    Jeremy
  • Options
    JasP24JasP24 Posts: 4,645 ✭✭✭
    I think the smart thing PSA has done here is harness the sportscard knowledge and experience that resides here in the Set Registry Forum and on the Set Registry itself. You can get an answer to almost any graded sportscard question here. And although the collectors here only make up 1% of PSA's customer base, I would venture to say that many who regularly post here have more knowledge and experience in the sports card field than 99% of PSA's customer base.

Kudos to PSA for another great idea. Staying ahead of the game is the reason PSA has remained the #1 grading service for so long.

Thanks!

Jason

I'm here to question, not to inspire or build up. To live how I want, as I see fit,
    according to my values and my needs. Nothing holds dominion over me, I stand alone as the ruler of my life.
  • Options
    AlanAllenAlanAllen Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭
    I'd encourage all collectors to write about their particular niche. It was rewarding for me just to verbalize my interests to an audience that would understand them, and to discuss them with other collectors while writing. Structuring the article helped me structure my own thoughts and priorites about collecting as well.

Joe
    No such details will spoil my plans...
  • Options
    MantlefanMantlefan Posts: 1,079 ✭✭
    I enjoyed writing my article on 1964 Philly FB very much. I was also thrilled to see it in print......my Barnes and Noble carries the SMR and I casually turned to my article while talking to some women. I figured they might like to "meet" the author. image
    Frank

Always looking for 1957 Topps BB in PSA 9!
  • Options
    VirtualizardVirtualizard Posts: 1,936 ✭✭

<< <i>I enjoyed writing my article on 1964 Philly FB very much. I was also thrilled to see it in print......my Barnes and Noble carries the SMR and I casually turned to my article while talking to some women. I figured they might like to "meet" the author. image >>

How did that work out for you? image

I'm thinking about writing an article, pending your reply! image

JEB.
  • Options
    CON40CON40 Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭
    Frank... and others;

Do you get paid for your prose? Or is this strictly a gratis, ego-stroking thing? If I can get paid, I'll break out my copy of Warriner's Grammar tonight and start a tome on something... anything!
  • Options
    AlanAllenAlanAllen Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭
    gratis, ego-stroking all the way image

Joe
    No such details will spoil my plans...
  • Options
    magellanmagellan Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭
    Nothing the matter with a good ego stroke ..........is there Frank?

Dave
    Topps Heritage

Now collecting:
    Topps Heritage

1957 Topps BB Ex+-NM
    All Yaz Items 7+
    Various Red Sox
    Did I leave anything out?
  • Options
    achteyachtey Posts: 304 ✭✭✭
    I'd like to write about a set that I collect but I'm not sure if I would be the one to get info from. None of my sets are on top. But that also might be because of a limited budget too. image

Josh
    The world meets no one half way. If you want it you have to go get it.
  • Options
    jrdolanjrdolan Posts: 2,549 ✭✭

<< <i>I enjoyed writing my article on 1964 Philly FB very much. I was also thrilled to see it in print......my Barnes and Noble carries the SMR and I casually turned to my article while talking to some women. I figured they might like to "meet" the author. image >>

To misquote Maddux ... "Chicks dig sports memorabilia writers."
  • Options
    seinbigdseinbigd Posts: 206 ✭✭
    Joe,

As a suggestion, would PSA consider offering a few free grades for an article "published" in the SMR? Might be a good way to generate additional interest in submitting stories for the SMR.

Steve
  • Options
    purelyPSApurelyPSA Posts: 712 ✭✭
    That's a good idea, actually. I second that. There's such a depth of information around here, covering an incredible breadth of sets, that never bubbles to the top unless it's pertinent to a specific topic. Rather than waiting around for the right question to be asked, I'd love to get these sort of thoughts put on paper, and I'm willing to bet that a small offering such as some free grades would be just the ticket.
  • Options
    Just noticed this post ...where is my head?

Joe, thank you for the thank you, it really goes a long way.

Yeah, it is nice to see your name in print, plus you can really call yourself a sportwriter. As for the ego, naw. For me it was a pleasure getting feedback from the various collectors and having an opportunity to share a little knowledge. Everyone was awesome!!!

I recommend everyone give it a try. Personally I would like to do another some day.

Kevin
    author of July SMR "Bell Beauties"