Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Paypal question personal account

I have a personal account. A buyer paid me $3.50 with instant payment. The payment is pending according to paypal. Buyer status: address confirmed and Unverified. Paypal noted in the payment that there will be a fee of $0.40!! why? I still have $900 left in my account limit. What will happen if I accept the payment. Why does paypal charging me 40 cents?

RIP Snow

Comments

• Options
    (from another thread that I started)

On a somewhat related topic...

Many sellers accept Paypal transactions via a bank account only, not via a credit card. If a seller has this type of account, there are no Paypal transaction fees imposed. However, the first time the seller accepts a Paypal credit card transaction, their free account automatically switches to a business account, which charges a % for all future credit card AND bank account Paypal transactions.

Paypal allows the seller one freebie to switch back. That is, the seller accepts a credit card payment, get's charged a fee, but can switch back one time to the free account, rather than be upgraded to a fee-based business account.
    “Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.” - George Carlin
  • Options
    I check the paypal payment page. Buyer's payment type: instant. I don't think that's credit card.

RIP Snow
  • Options
    if paypal is going to charge you 40 cents, then that is the standard fee for a business account. 2.9% + .30 is the business account rate. if he used maybe a debit card, it will still be instant because it came out of his bank account, but you maybe be charged if it came from a credit card (visa or m/c logo). i got screwed when i ended up getting a business account, so i would not accept the payment and tell him why. i'm not a huge seller, or high dollar seller and ebay fees eat me up, plus on top of that, paypal fees. don't do it cause it really adds up over many transactions. if someone has a credit card, then they have a checking account to pay the bill.
  • Options
    I just denied the payment. I explained to the buyer that personal account cannot accept credit card card and also said that I noted on my payment instructions that I cannot accept credit card. Maybe he missed reading that. It's weird, on paypal payment type shows "INSTANT". I received another email from paypal stating that buyer paid by credit card.

The only reason I could think of before I got the paypal email was he has an "unverified" bank account with confirmed address.

Thanks for all the help.
    RIP Snow