Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Here it goes...

Im kinda mad(maybe cause I just got in a fight with my g/f, and it probably won't work out much longer) but any who. I was watching coinvault this moring, and I saw absolutly crazy prices. Has anyone ever emailed that Robert Chambers guy image ? Someone need to tell him, he's hurting the hobby, or atleast thats my opinion.

Another thing I think its hurting the hobby is the state quarter program. Most of you would say well it's helped it alot, in some ways yes, but in some ways no. With each year millions more people get hooked on these state quarters, which I find not that all impressive. Then realize that the US had more coins than the current ones. They also realize that the designs are so much more appealing than the state quarters. Then theres the big kicker, people automatically assume that you can become rich by collecting coins, and not have a thing to worry about in life, which most know, this is not always true, alot of the time quite the opposite. They are also the cause of such high prices on coins that should not be high priced at all, again alot of you will disagree with me and say that most prices are a steal. Once they find out about these "other coins" besides the state quarters, they buy a modest amount, and multiply that by the millions of people that are getting into it, and the demand is absolutly scorching hot. Even though Supply on lots of these coins is there, its not fast enough to keep up with this demand. Common date Morgan dollars at common grade mint state, should not be going up in value, no offense to Morgan dollars. Im happy to have a coin go up in value, but when it goes up high enough that I can't afford to buy anymore coins I like I get a little upset. I will be happy when the state quarter program is done.

On the other hand I have nothing against the younger kids or the people that are getting into it now for the fun, enjoyment, community, history, family, love, and friendship that comes with the hobby. Im bashing, as some of you would call it the people who buy up these things with no purpose but as a get rich quick deal. I will admit I like money, but thats not why I got into the hobby, It was because I was so shelterted and didn't have to many friends, coin collecting in a way, was sorta like my friend. Im still sheltered today, but got a few more friends thanks to the hobby.

So Im not sure where I stand on this. Post your comments and feelings.
Scott Hopkins
-YN Currently Collecting & Researching Colonial World Coins, Especially Spanish Coins, With a Great Interest in WWII Militaria.

My Ebay!

Comments

• Options
    Hi,

The new state quarters are cool... honeslty, anything that gets people into the hobby is a good thing. Will they be worth so much and be so hot in the future... eh, most likely not but... they are cool.

I didn't pick any up but... if I was going to add them to my collection, I'd go for the silver ones.

What or who is the coin vault? Can you post a link to the prices you are talkin bout?

Spanky
  • Options

<< <i>Hi,

The new state quarters are cool... honeslty, anything that gets people into the hobby is a good thing. Will they be worth so much and be so hot in the future... eh, most likely not but... they are cool.

I didn't pick any up but... if I was going to add them to my collection, I'd go for the silver ones.

What or who is the coin vault? Can you post a link to the prices you are talkin bout?

Spanky >>

No, I can't but if you have the shop at home network on your television, the coin vault is a program on there, that sells mostly crap at really high prices to people who wouldn't know what there getting. Every so often they'll have something nice on there, but not to often.
    Scott Hopkins
    -YN Currently Collecting & Researching Colonial World Coins, Especially Spanish Coins, With a Great Interest in WWII Militaria.

My Ebay!
  • Options
    Actually I have to completely disagree with you. Exposure is everything. And yes, even Robert Chambers and the CoinVault are providing our hobby with needed exposure. I think this is one of the reasons coin collecting is making a comeback. You don't see stamp collecting getting hot do you? While the state quarter's program might lack artistic merit, it has cause millions to look at their change once again. I would estimate that perhaps 2-5% of those collecting state quarters from circulation will become serious collectors. Isn't that exactly what this hobby needed?

New blood does indeed drive prices. The more collectors, the more demand. I say let Chambers and CoinVault hock their wares. Some might get overcharged, but it may rekindle interest and cause some to turn to other venues to purchase coins...which is good for all of us.

One of the reasons I do the YN Giveaway is generate interest for coin collecting in a new generation of collectors. If we are ever to sell our coins when we take the big dirt nap....I want there to be a bidding frenzy for mine because there are millions of more people involved in this hobby!!!!

Michael

• Options
    LAWMANLAWMAN Posts: 1,278
    Ahhh Coin Vault. I see that show as an IQ test. Can you figure out that they are doubling the Mint's price to buy on line (even doubling the shipping, and both ship from the middle of the country). Do you have the modicum threshold of brains necessary to figure out that if Coin Vault is selling Mint products, maybe the Mint sells them too, and that a bit of comparison shopping might be in order? Case in point: the proof SAE - last time I looked, Chambers and the gang were flogging them for 2x the mint price and almost 2x the shipping.

Other than that, it has occasionally interesting insomnia time-passing value when you have seen the Perry Mason episode just too many times to watch it again.

As for bringing people into the hobby, Coin Vault, the Mint, State Qaurters, coin shows, turning on kids (get high on coins, not drugs) -- all good. It's true, philately (stamps) died back after 79-80, never to rise again, but coins just keep cycling up.
    DSW
  • Options
    Maybe I didn't explain it well enough. I meant exactally what you guys are saying. Im all for the young ones, like myself who are getting into it. Im not for the average person thinking there gonna get rich off of it. Everything they offer on coin vault, you hear "were not coming back to this, never again" or "this I can tell you, is gonna double in value", I hate that.
    Scott Hopkins

My Ebay!
  • Options
    Why is bringing new collectors into the hobby good? Won't that just raise the prices for the rest of us? image
    Dave - Durham, NC
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I would estimate that perhaps 2-5% of those collecting state quarters from circulation will become serious collectors. >>

I disagree. It's really more like 3-6%.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    Hey coinguy89, did you write this editorial? The wife, screaming at the T.V., etc.
    Realtime National Debt Clock:

• Options

<< <i>Hey coinguy89, did you write this editorial? The wife, screaming at the T.V., etc. >>

Nope, not my writing style.
    Scott Hopkins

My Ebay!
  • Options
    dimplesdimples Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭
    Actually 2.659% will continue collecting image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file