Home PSA Set Registry Forum

Live Auction at the National?

I attended the Superior Sports auction at last years
National in Atlantic City. Does anybody have any information
on a live auction at this years National? I checked the
Superior and National's web sites and could not find
anything on an auction.

Comments

• I e-mailed them the same question, and they responded " no auction yet, but keep checking the website for undates."

Rick
    Always looking for high-grade 1958-62 Bell Brand and Morrell Meat Dodger cards.
  • mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    Who even works at Superior anymore?! Are they still in business? Who runs it?
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • packCollectorpackCollector Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭
    keep checking , thanks , it's 3 weeks away
  • If you don't have all the catalogs, phone lines, timeframes, etc...setup at this point, no way will there be a live auction this year.

In fact, Superior doesn't even have any future auctions on the schedule.
    Looking for:
    1953 Topps in PSA 8
    1941 Playball in PSA 8.
    1952-1955 Red Man cards in 7 and 8
    1950 Bowman in PSA 8
  • qualitycardsqualitycards Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Who even works at Superior anymore?! Are they still in business? Who runs it? >>

Didn't Manning purchase the company? ...jay

<< <i>

<< <i>Who even works at Superior anymore?! Are they still in business? Who runs it? >>

Didn't Manning purchase the company? ...jay >>

I guess. They website is updated to remove all the CU-related information - but there's really nothing else there. Yes - we've also heard that Forman is the main man at SGC now - but it seems like both Superior (sans Chris Porter) and SGC have been very quiet - they don't even seem to have official news releases about the changes made.

Superior should be at the National though - so I guess we should wait until then...
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • dudedude Posts: 1,454 ✭✭
    In fact, Superior doesn't even have any future auctions on the schedule.

I noticed that too. Boy, whoever bought that company, sure got snookered.
  • aconteaconte Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I noticed that too. Boy, whoever bought that company, sure got snookered. >>

I've seen it happen in the mfg industry often. Too bad. My belief is the biggest impact
    a buyer can make is in the intial acquisition phase. You want to get off with a full head
    of steam. Hopefully, it works out for Manning.

aconte
  • kobykoby Posts: 1,699 ✭✭

<< <i>In fact, Superior doesn't even have any future auctions on the schedule.

I noticed that too. Boy, whoever bought that company, sure got snookered. >>

Much of the value of that company was in Chris Porter and the goodwill created by Chris. Maybe Manning should have tried to pony up enough money to keep Chris.

<< <i> Yes - we've also heard that Forman is the main man at SGC now - but it seems like both Superior (sans Chris Porter) and SGC have been very quiet - they don't even seem to have official news releases about the changes made.
    >>

What is the deal with SGC these days. Haven't seen a post about this company in a while.

I am sure that Manning knew that Chris would leave and/or was not committed to stay. Most company buyouts have specific provisions for management retention - and Manning is not a dumb guy. I am sure he was aware that Chris was on the way out.

Koby - no clue what is up with SGC. Forman took over - and the company has been silent. Their #1 infamous supporter has also been largely silent - leaving SGC with not much of a role right now, it seems? Yes, they still have a niche in Pre-war - but it is unclear where they will stand long-term, methinks. Although it does seem like they still have a strong niche for high-end and pre-war cards in Mastro. I wonder how long the supply of such high-end cards will flow through Derek at Mastro - and what happens to SGC down the road...?

MS
    Their #1 infamous supporter has been largely silent and selling only PSA cards on ebay recently.
    I don't know where SGC will be in long-run either, but a recent informal poll taken by Basilone seems to suggest that at least the hundred or so collectors who responded to the poll prefer SGC over GAI, if PSA for whatever reason got out of the grading business.

<< <i>I don't know where SGC will be in long-run either, but a recent informal poll taken by Basilone seems to suggest that at least the hundred or so collectors who responded to the poll prefer SGC over GAI, if PSA for whatever reason got out of the grading business. >>

Koby:

I don't necessarily disagree - but there may be other issues at hand. Forman used to be a powerhouse in the hobby, but he does not seem to be one anymore - the people that he has contacts with were relationships formed 5,10 years ago. Not too many current people. At least one or two of SGC's top graders have left, too. GAI has Baker/Rocchi/Fisher and a bunch of other people - at least people that have a face and a presence in the hobby. Who knows what will happen - it is interesting to speculate, though.