Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

LINCOLN CENT PROOF REGISTRIES-WHERE ARE THE COLLECTORS?

Over the years there are plenty of interesting discussions here about Lincoln cents, particularly the registrants competing for condition rarities of business strike wheat cents. I just took a look at the Lincoln cent registries and found that there are 4 business strike registries and 8 proof strike registries. There are 370 business strike sets registered and 351 proof strike sets registered. So, it seems to me, there are a lot of you collectors out there pursuing Lincoln proofs for the set registry. The great thing about collecting Lincoln proofs is that you only need 80 coins to have the complete PCGS set from 1909 thru 2004. You need 256 coins to have the complete business strike collection, and realistically, most of us can't afford to spend numerious grading fees on modern MS65 Lincolns that are not worth the cost of grading. Additionally, the last 30 years of Lincoln proofs are fairly easy to aquire with really beautiful deep cameo contrast that just enhances the coins. The challenges to get the wheat proofs and particularly the Matte Proofs make this a great set to go after. So, who is now actively collecting these proof Lincolns in addition to Don, Doug, Mike, and of course, Stewart. Care to comment on the challenges to getting the Matte proofs, the 2 1936 versions, any of the 1936-1942 in cameo, any of the 1950's in deep cameo or that very tough 1990 no S. Thanks. Steveimage

Comments

• Options
    merz2merz2 Posts: 2,474
    Steve
    There are a lot more than just us,as you've said.Tim Lipton for one.I also believe you left out Gerry of course.Even though his aren't listed, he has them.
    Don
    Registry 1909-1958 Proof Lincolns
  • Options

I'll be there, just not yet. I have a little unfinished business first image.
  • Options
    I'm actively collecting, but not necessarily PCGS holders for the registry. I believe I've got 4 Lincoln sets registered, but I'm working on the complete series.

I own half the matte proof set, none are PCGS. I own most of the 1936 to 1942 proofs, I'll add the last one within a year (only about half are PCGS). My 1950-1958 proofs are mostly NGC, I'm going to try crossing some of these one last time. I believe NGC is more consistent with designations and am having good luck with later years crossing. I've also got quite a few of the varieties. 1959 and later proofs are now all PCGS. I just crossed all the varieties from NGC. I completed the regular set in DCAM. I've got all the varieties except the 1990 in PCGS holders. I'm waiting on a few more submissions to see if the SMS and varieties will also cross or designation review at CAM or better. Some day I may enter the proof variety set and the others if everything crosses.

I won't enter the wheat business set until it's about 75% complete. I'm having fun making this set via submissions. The Memorial set is complete and in the registry. I'm hoping for about a dozen upgrades through current submissions. I made all the varieties except the 95 double die. Some day I'll score a 69-S double die in red and enter my set.

The only real challenges are patience and the inconsistent designation and color assignments by PCGS graders. For the matte proofs, red/brown and browns are good enough for me. There are nice ones still to be had at reasonable prices.

perfectstrike
  • Options
    SteveSteve Posts: 3,313 ✭✭✭
    David (perfectstrike),
    If you don't mind me asking, why do you not want to enter your PCGS or NGC slabbed coins into the registries as you go along. Have you put your wheat proof cents into the NGC registry? I often wonder why some collectors chose to hold off entering ANY of their set until it is all complete. Thanks for your thoughts. Steveimage
  • Options
    GerryGerry Posts: 456
    Steve and other board members:

You all may be interested to know that Jeff Stanley has just consigned his Lincoln proofs 1909-1958 to the next Bowers & Merena auction, which I believe will be held in Baltimore at the beginning of July. Jeff's sets go in the registry under the name of Bad Boys Bail Bonds or Cameron's Dad. He has lots of nice coins. No, his daughter's proofs 1959 to date have NOT been consigned. Good luck to Jeff and to any of you Lincoln proof collectors who will have the opportunity to compete in the auction for something they want!!

Gerry

Correction: the set will be auctioned by B&M in August, not July
  • Options
    haletjhaletj Posts: 2,192
    I like proofs in the form of a year set and keep my proof sets intact (I have 1956-2003).
  • Options
    coolkarmacoolkarma Posts: 512 ✭✭
    I have a registry set of 1950-58 lincoln proofs (Richard's Proof Lincolns). I prefer the cameo/dcam ones. My favorite is the 1954 PR67DCam. It's previous life was in a PCGS PR 66Cameo holderimage You can almost feel the frost! I'm fairly happy with the set but would like to upgrade the 1951 very much (and also the 1950). Ok, and perhaps a few others in time. It is a work in progress, slow progress.

Similar to Haletj, I seem to be moving toward year sets for the earlier years, but I still prefer "near cameo" or "frosty" coins. I have a "frosty" 1942 proof set registered (Frosty 1942) and likely will register an incomplete 1938 set soon (I recently purchased a "frosty" reverse 1938 quarter, amazingimage. My registering rule seems to be, if I find a frosty quarter, I'll register the set.

And for my oldest set, I have a 1914 Proof set (Mom's Proof Set). It only has two of the five coins needed, but it does have the cent (and is number 1image. Although not frosty, these very early Lincolns are extremely well-struck and have interesting surface texture. Maybe I'll get another one some day.

Finally, I also periodically consider registering my 1936-42 coins at NGC since most of them are in NGC holders.

That's my miscellaneous ramblings on proof Lincolns, et cetera.

Richard

Edited to include links.
  • Options
    CocoinutCocoinut Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've registered my 1936-1958 proof Lincolns, and have a couple of 1942's in old green label holders that I believe would make cameo today. I've shown one of them here before, but here are both coins:

imageimage

imageimage

I also like cameo memorial cents from 1959-1970, especially the 1960 small date (I have a little hoard of 6 PR67CAM's and 1 PR67DCAM, plus a Large/Small Date in PR66CAM, although the overdate isn't designated on the holder). Beginning in the late '70's, I find the CAM's are just too common to be very interesting.

Jim
    Countdown to completion of my Mercury Set: 2 coins. My growing Lincoln Set: Finally completed!
  • Options
    michaelmichael Posts: 9,524 ✭✭
    i really like those two cameo 42 proof lincolns jim

super nice coins great eye appeal too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

michael
  • Options
    LincolnCentManLincolnCentMan Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭✭
    I might start on them in ten or fifteen years. First thing's first. I've got to finish the set I'm working on now! Then I'll move onto another set. I havent decided yet, but proofs are not in the mix. I have it narrowed down to four sets:

Indian Cents
    Merc Dimes
    Buffalo Nickels
    Type

David
  • Options
    Very thought provoking question Steve. It ties into the question Stewart asked too. Some of it has to do with goals I've set. Some has to do with minimum personal standards. Some of has to do with a physical problem that has recently been surgically corrected. I haven't done the NGC registry because they don't recognize all the varieties yet either. Here are some of my personal standards. They don't apply to the incomplete sets I've already registered. A modern set must be complete. The proofs must all have a minimum designation. All Lincolns must be red except the matte proofs which could be red/brown and a few older varieties.

I post my sets for others to admire and possibly to have others assist with offering purchases. That stops me from entering my 1909-1958 business strike set. When completed, all issues will have been submitted to PCGS by myself (I may make an exception for the 55 double die). Being high in the registry might be nice, but the best coins don't always reside in the holder with the best number or the right company. I don't mind having a set with a hole because I don't have a coin of the right quality to fill it. I left the 1971-S proof blank for a long time until I realized I had 68DCAMs that were mechanical errors. They were great looking coins that sat on the shelf for 2 years in the resubmit pile.

The biggest reason is pictures. I don't feel a set is complete without the pictures and I just got all the picture tools working on my computer. If you want some computer advice, don't upgrade an old system with a marginal Intel chip to XP. My XP upgrade set me back 6 months and many $$$$. I may change my mind about standards once I get started posting images to my sets. I do enjoy viewing my Lincolns and visit them several times a year. Posting pictures may help my withdrawal symptoms.

perfectstrike

ps, now that my health has improved I'm actually looking forward to meeting some Lincoln collectors at some of the larger shows
  • Options
    Very nice looking proof 42's. My proof Lincolns are included into my proof sets.
    Jim Chandler
  • Options
    NumismanicNumismanic Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    SteveSteve Posts: 3,313 ✭✭✭
    cocoinut, those are two nice 42 proof cents!

perfectstrike, thanks for your reply

gerry, thanks for the info on Jeff Stanley. I would have loved to see his collection displayed. Which coin is he missing? I assume it is the 1909VDB. With a 68+ grade average it must be some set!!!

Thanks everyone. Let's hear more about your Lincoln cent proofs.

Steveimage
  • Options
    merz2merz2 Posts: 2,474
    Gerry
    That is indeed very good info.I didn't know that his set was being sold.There may be a few coins I could use.
    I knew there were other very nice sets out there.
    Don
    Registry 1909-1958 Proof Lincolns