Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Thoughts on a team master set?

I have been contemplating this for a real long time. What are your thoughts on team master sets? For example all of the cards of Chicago Bears players or all of the cards of Cubs players etc. Obviously this would be a set that would never be completed but talk about a chase. I collect Bears and Cubs cards and would absolutely participate in a set like this in the registry. Cards would have to be added as they were graded, released or found but I mean this would be the ultimate player collection. I know we have team sets now from specific years but those just don't do it for me. Anyone else thought of doing something like this before?

Comments

• Options
    CreeperKatCreeperKat Posts: 393 ✭✭
    I asked about this a long time ago and was told that the set would be too large (even if I wanted just Topps cards). With the increase in Team Sets, maybe PSA would reconsider.

Looking for Los Angeles/California/Anaheim Angels in PSA 8 or better
  • Options
    bobsbbcardsbobsbbcards Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭
    Wow! Very ambitious. I would be afraid of diving into a master set I knew that I had zero chance of finishing (or even getting close). Might be more popular if you bounded it by a range of years (1960s, 1970s, etc.) or by a single manufacturer (Topps). Neat idea (I could see doing 1970-79 Reds, all manufacturers, or all Topps Reds 1951 - 1991).

Bob
  • Options
    I could live with just Topps cards although I love the Philadelphia gum sets in football. Also bounding it by years would be fine for me could be 1948-1968 for the bears and 1968-1988 or something like that.
  • Options
    Any more thoughts?
  • Options
    I would love to chase a 1950's Phillies set. The problem with 80's and 90's is that there are too many damn companies. Limiting to Topps may work.
    Always buying high grade Mike Schmidt and Steve Carlton cards!!!
  • Options
    SouthsiderSouthsider Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭
    I've also been considering a Bears master set. It's more of a personal collection goal, rather than a proposed registry idea. I'm starting with trying to complete HOF player sets, then start on other popular Bears players, then finally, I'll round out the collection with the commons. Glad to see I'm not the only Bears fan with lofty aspirations!
  • Options
    Kid4hof03Kid4hof03 Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭✭✭
    While they are not on the registry I think that there are probably quite a few people that collect team sets in this way. I collect Cowboys from 72-87 and will probably start heading back to 62 soon. I know that Carew4me on the boards has a great Packers website that shows off his collection. I think that the registry sets would be a lot of fun and not as impossible as one might originally think.
    Collecting anything and everything relating to Roger Staubach