Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

A couple more sixpences enter the fold...

Look what i picked up today for a whole of $55-$60 or so. (Exchange rate dependent)

imageimage

One of the key dates to the George II Sixpence set the seldom encountered 1735. I'm not fussed on the grade (i'd prefer a GVF one or so), but i'll hang onto it until a time comes when i can upgrade.

Oh and i also crossed 1741 off of the list whilst i was at it...

imageimage

It's in a grade i can just about live with, if there had just been a little more detail on the forehead i wouldn't even be thinking of upgrading it... i think i might leave this one in the collection.

Which means for George II i now need;

1731-RP, 1734-RP, 1735/4-RP, 1736-RP, 1743-R, 1745-R, 1745-L, 1746/5-L, 1751 and 1758/7.

(I know where's there's some 43's and 45's, and i don't think the '58/7 is going to be too problematic).

Comments

• Options
    theboz11theboz11 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭
    they look so OLDimageimage

But very nice onesimage
  • Options
    SylvestiusSylvestius Posts: 1,584
    These things are quite nice in the lower grades anyhow... except that 1732 i used to have that weren't pretty.

But the higher grade ones are so much nicer, and on those George even has an eye (very few people have ever seen it! image )... So you see he's not one of those people that live on the top of a mountain with a glass eye from that film 'Clash of the Titans'.
  • Options
    Nice 6ers Sylvester!

I can't tell looking at the first one, but is George smiling in the second one? image Looks happy anyway.

How come modern monarchs don't ever look happy? Except for Margrethe of Denmark maybe....

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I do not have good luck with this denomination... nice finds and they are thougher than most think.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe I'll dig one of those tonight. image

I'm headin' out to Eulonia with the detector, to a clearcut in the pines. Found a 1738 halfpenny not far from that area, so who knows? (of course, Brit copper is way more common on colonial sites than silver. Usually any silver found is Spanish.)

There were Redcoats and Continental troops in the area during the Revolution, and Highlanders from nearby Darien and Fort King George, before that. The site that gave me the 1738 halfpenny also produced an escutcheon plate from a Brown Bess musket.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭
    I like the Georgie II Younghead coins, hard to find them with an eye!
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's hard to find them without eyes, too. Unless you grope around for them. image

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    SylvestiusSylvestius Posts: 1,584
    Well i couldn't resist it, i've gone and got three more today.

A 1745/3, 1696 first bust and 1697 third bust.

The first two i'm happy with, the third one i'm unsure about i didn't see it at the time but now on closer inspection there is a fleck or verdigris on the reverse, i think i might be taking this one back.

Pictures to follow later...
  • Options
    ColinCMRColinCMR Posts: 1,482 ✭✭✭
    cool 6d's!