Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

The Auctions That Really Gripe Me On eBay

Hi,

Of course all of the "my Grandpa's estate" auctions, shilled auctions, counterfeit auctions, etc. are annoying, but we gripe about these auctions all of the time. These are my top three annoying auctions (the ones that literally make me cringe):

(1) Xmas Rack Packs -- I challenge anybody on the planet to show me an ad for these "packs" more than 5 years old (maybe less). I remember when these first appeared on eBay. Seemed to come out of nowhere and I was impressed. Then it seemed that the cards in the racks were in about EXMT condition. OK, I was less impressed. Then we were told that someone "way back when" (someone at Topps perhaps) must have gathered up the cards each year at Xmas time (to celebrate the birth of "X"), put them in rack packs and sold them to the kiddies. Right. Then why aren't there any ads for them? Maybe the kiddies loved them so much that they didn't open them or sell them until 1999 or so (when they were no longer kiddies). Who bids on these? Are they really bidding on them as unopened packs, or would they bid just as high if I stacked up 12 1950's cards in three stacks and hinted that there might be a Mantle in the middle.

(2) 1969 Topps White Letters Cards That Never Were -- Why do some sellers assume that every Topps BB card issued in 1969 with white used for the lettering must be some rare variation? THEY'RE NOT!!! There are 23 WL varations in 1969, all between card #440 (McCovey) and card #511 (Segui). If your card is not in that range (< 440 or >511), then "Go Fish!". You don't have a white letter card. I'm sorry, I meant to say that you DO have a white letter card, it is just not a variation! Buy a catalog for X's Father's sake! (Ditto for 1958 Topps Yellow Letters).

(3) 1968 Topps 3-D Cards That Never Were -- Can't tell you how many times I have found someone listing a Kellogg's card as a 1968 Topps 3-D. If I hadn't seen so many, I would call myself a liar (I still might). You would think that the seller might check to see that Willie McCovey (not to name names) was not one of the players in the '68 3-D set. You would also think that they might notice that the back of their card says KELLOGG'S!!! I think wishful thinking is just peachy. If I had a card (any card) and I tilted it side to side and it looked more dimensional than 2, I would immediately think I had the greatest thing since sliced bread (and maybe since non-sliced bread). It would have to be worth at least $1,000, so therefore it must be from '68 (and be rare). Again, buy a catalog if you are going to sell cards on eBay. Or I can loan you mine.

I will stop now. Please post auction types that pi-dollar-dollar you o-eff-eff. Thanks for your time.

Bob

Comments

• Options
    jrdolanjrdolan Posts: 2,549 ✭✭
    Auctions with PRO cards graded Gem Mint 10. These are intended to trap the newbies, who discover their mistake too late and then try to sell to another newbie. And so the cycle goes. Some of these PRO 10's have probably been sold on eBay dozens of times. What burns me is when the seller tells a bald-faced lie like, "Graded Gem Mint 10 by PRO, one of the most respected grading services."
  • Options
    gregm13gregm13 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭
    Even better is when the PRO dealer won't list his feedback. That gives you a boost of confidence....
    Collecting vintage auto'd fb cards and Dan Marino cards!!

References:
    Onlychild, Ahmanfan, fabfrank, wufdude, jradke, Reese, Jasp, thenavarro
    E-Bay id: greg_n_meg
  • Options
    ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭
    Good post, Bob.

I personally hate the auctions that claim in the title something like Jordan RC Gem Mint 10, and then you see the Fournier Estrellas card graded PRO 10. Or, lately, there are a lot of auctions for a Topps Glossy Barry Bonds card made in 1987 that there must have been 10000000000 printed, since they are on Ebay in full force. Yet, every auction for one of these cards says its "rare".
  • Options
    Rare compared to grains of sand on the beach, drops of water in the ocean, stars in the universe. It all depends on your perspective!
  • Options
    bobsbbcardsbobsbbcards Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Rare compared to grains of sand on the beach, drops of water in the ocean, stars in the universe. It all depends on your perspective! >>

Actually, there are more 1987 Topps Glossy Barry Bonds cards than stars in the universe, but there are not more graded Glossy Bonds cards. That is what makes them rare.

I want to add another gripe to my list:

(4) Population Report Spin -- Auctions that use the Pop report to make their items seem far rarer than they really are. For example: Picture an auction for a 1979 PSA 7 Jim Todd card. Auction might read:
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    1979 TOPPS JIM TODD PSA 7 (ONLY 12 GRADED HIGHER IN THE HISTORY OF TIME AND SPACE)

BUY THIS CARD NOW OF JIM TODD. HE WAS A REAL BASEBALL PITCHER. THIS CARD OF HIS IS IN SUCH FANTISTAC CONDISION THAT GOD HIMSELF COULD NOT BUY 13 CARDS THAT WERE IN BETTER SHAPE. USE BUY-IT-NOW OF $149 BECAUSE I MIGHT END AUCTION EARLY CUZ IT IS THAT GOOD.
    ------------------------------------------------------------

Same is true for ONLY PSA 10 (1 of 1) cards where NOBODY ELSE IN THE HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSE COULD CARE LESS IF THEY GOT THAT CARD GRADED OR NOT! True about all common cards in modern sets where there are no PSA Registry pursuers. Registry nuts change all of the rules.
  • Options
    CON40CON40 Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭
    Bob... priceless! You even nailed the spelling errors... which brings me to my peeve... why are so many "undesirable" listings (PRO, hype, rare, l@@k, etc.) littered with atrocious spelling and grammar? It's pitiful... I refuse to bid... I've probably passed up some good items, but by and large, the crappiness of the spelling is in direct correlation to the crappiness of the item for sale.
  • Options

<< <i>but by and large, the crappiness of the spelling is in direct correlation to the crappiness of the item for sale. >>

And don't forget the ALL CAPS LOOK. PEOPLE WITH CRAP TO SELL DO NOT KNOW HOW TO TURN OFF THE CAPS LOCK KEY. I WANT TO WRITE TO THEM AND SAY IT'S THAT BUTTON ON THE LEFT BELOW TAB!!!!!
  • Options
    Along the same lines as ctsoxfan, I hate auctions for RC that are actually the second year All Star card with the trophy on them. BTW, this lot does not contain his Rookie Card as the seller suggests! I also hate sellers that waste time by not putting qualifiers in the title. You click on that PSA 8 you've been looking for and it turns out to be a PSA 8(OC) with a missing border on one side. image Oh well, I guess you gotta take the good with the bad!

Scott
    Registry Sets:
    T-205 Gold PSA 4 & up
    1967 Topps BB PSA 8 & up
    1975 Topps BB PSA 9 & up
    1959 Topps FB PSA 8 & up
    1976 Topps FB PSA 9 & up
    1981 Topps FB PSA 10
    1976-77 Topps BK PSA 9 & up
    1988-89 Fleer BK PSA 10
    3,000 Hit Club RC PSA 5 & Up

My Sets
  • Options
    magellanmagellan Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭
    image Good thread Bob . I think you all have already named my pet auction peeves.
    Topps Heritage

Now collecting:
    Topps Heritage

1957 Topps BB Ex+-NM
    All Yaz Items 7+
    Various Red Sox
    Did I leave anything out?
  • Options

<< <i>I also hate sellers that waste time by not putting qualifiers in the title >>

Aaagh! I had forgotten about that one. I can't click the Back button fast enough when I bring up one of these auctions. It is one of the few situations that will make me curse in front of my toddler!
  • Options
    Bob,
    You are right on. Can't argue that these are at least an annoyance if not a full fledged nusiance. But they don't bother me they way they get to you.
    Take a valium. We know how old you are. It's not good for your heart. Happy belated birthday.
    Fuzz
    Wanted: Bell Brands FB and BB, Chiefs regionals especially those ugly milk cards, Coke caps, Topps and Fleer inserts and test issues from the 60's. 1981 FB Rack pack w/ Jan Stenerud on top.
  • Options

<< <i>It's not good for your heart. >>

Beans are. Thanks for the birthday wishes.
  • Options
    WabittwaxWabittwax Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭
    I agree with not putting the oc in the title. Our time is valuable and I hate wasting time clicking on auctions only to find the card has an oc. I even use a cable modem and the half a second it takes a page to pop up is time wasted. I will avoid a seller altogether is he does that with one of his auctions. It's common courtesy.
  • Options
    mudflap02mudflap02 Posts: 2,060 ✭✭
    1980 PSA 9 Nolan Ryan

Exact same card sold by me after I upgraded

Yeah, I know, I should have put it in the title, but I was up front about it in the description and didn't hide it behind a bunch of colors. I still can't figure out if I got shilled on the first one, but I do know that I got raped when I sold itimage
  • Options
    How about BCCG cards "NM or better" what the hell is that ?
    ebay:1967topps
    1967 Topps baseball wantlists (any condition) welcome. #14 ATF 1967 set. Yet another collector like skylaneflyer, gimel1 who made it to the completion of 1967 only to need the money more than the company of 609 close friends.
    Looking for 1967 Mets, yankees, and 1968 Tigers in PSA 7 and Venezuelan Norm Cash stuff
  • Options
    Jeff,

Are you saying some Bible guy raped you? Now, that cracked me up. He must be related to that X guy in the opening post. That is a crappy turnaround but I have been there and done that.

Great thread.
    Brent
    Collecting:
    Bo Jackson Basic(#1) and Master(#1)
    Bob Feller Basic(#4)
    Sam McDowell Basic(#1)
    2004 Cracker Jack Master

My Ebay Store
  • Options
    wildcat05wildcat05 Posts: 63
    edited May 11, 2017 6:03PM
    nice set
  • Options
    How bout in the pre-1930 singles section, all the Spalding, Reach....etc. Graded pictures of Wagner, Cobb, and the like.
    Looks like they cut a picture out of a book, put it in a screw down, then put some fancy label on it, and it's a mint 9 rarity!
  • Options
    Ouch, mudflap, that's takin' it in the shorts. Hard to believe nobody wanted even an OC PSA 9 Ryan for more than $3. But I wouldn't have thought it would go for $37, either. The original seller also made someone's gripe list for not listing the OC in the title.

<< <i>1980 PSA 9 Nolan Ryan

Exact same card sold by me after I upgraded

Yeah, I know, I should have put it in the title, but I was up front about it in the description and didn't hide it behind a bunch of colors. I still can't figure out if I got shilled on the first one, but I do know that I got raped when I sold itimage >>

• Options
    Speaking of pictures.....

"Sorry no photo, I don't have a scanner, but trust me this card is Mint!!!!"
    And then you look at seller's other items, and it turns out he does have a scanner for those cards that don't have a defect.
  • Options
    This auction is another example of how to piss off potential buyers. Note the title then note the 1st paragraph in red. Nuff said!! image

Scott
    Registry Sets:
    T-205 Gold PSA 4 & up
    1967 Topps BB PSA 8 & up
    1975 Topps BB PSA 9 & up
    1959 Topps FB PSA 8 & up
    1976 Topps FB PSA 9 & up
    1981 Topps FB PSA 10
    1976-77 Topps BK PSA 9 & up
    1988-89 Fleer BK PSA 10
    3,000 Hit Club RC PSA 5 & Up

My Sets
  • Options
    I collect some modern and run into this all the time: people saying their serial numbered cards are 1/1 when they are not. Technically speaking no two are the same, but it's getting ridiculous. I can see the jersey number....maybe, but the crap about "it's 1/50 - the first! wow!" or "50/50 omg the last!" has got to stop!!!

Brian
  • Options
    pandrewspandrews Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭
    420/anything = 1/1
    ·p_A·
  • Options
    gaspipe26gaspipe26 Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭
    Search ebay for 1969 topps VARIATION and look at the #47 Popovich card being hawked as a White Letter. The seller swears its a white letter.
  • Options

<< <i>Search ebay for 1969 topps VARIATION and look at the #47 Popovich card being hawked as a White Letter. The seller swears its a white letter. >>

Title of auction:

1969 Topps VARIATION #47 $$RARE$$ PSA 9+ MINT $$$
    Worth 10x regular price! VALUED at $420.00+ $$$$$$

Either the "$" key is stuck on his keyboard, or he is selling RARE DOLLARS and a PSA 9 mint card (which it is not even a PSA card at all) which includes MINT DOLLARS. The card is worth 10x regular price (a $42 ungraded common?) for a grand total of $420 + some more DOLLARS. I'm not sure I can resist bidding on all of those DOLLARS!

In the seller's defense, the word PAUL is clearly white. That alone should be worth more $$$$$.
  • Options
    I couldn't help it, I finally broke and had to list this. Is it just me or is it annoying when someone lists single cards under Boxes and Cases.
  • Options
    MorrellManMorrellMan Posts: 3,238 ✭✭✭
    I come across the occasional sports card listed under non-sports cards; I just assume the seller was adding a second catagory to get more coverage - what frosts me is a nice card with a low opening bid and not a lot of interest and $15 shipping and handling.image
    Mark (amerbbcards)

"All evil needs to triumph is for good men to do nothing."