Home PSA Set Registry Forum

"Master" vs "Basic"

OK I just started my Dan Marino registry. I would "think" the Master set is everything gradeable by PSA standards. Then the basic set would be just "regular" Dan cards from the "basic" set. Is that correct?

Thanks.

Comments

• achteyachtey Posts: 304 ✭✭✭
    First of all, I wish you all the luck on your Marino sets, he's a great player. And I think your very close to being completely right in your guess. The "master" set is for every gradeable card during his playing years as far as I understand. The "basic" set is the base cards of Marino during his playing years. I hope this helps.

Josh
    The world meets no one half way. If you want it you have to go get it.
  • There are some exceptions to the "Master" rule that collectors might want to take into account.

Several Player Sets have tons of single cards, especially if they played into the late 80's, 90's, and 2000's. Those if they are in the Players years or their year of retirement should be included in the Master Player set.

This one is a little more contraversial, several Players have spinout subsets that are greater than 10 cards, some into the hundreds. Just to maintain the integrity of the set, the Nolan Ryan collectors opted to limit these subsets representation to a single card. This was done for couple of reasons.

a) Economics - hundreds of cards from a mass producded subset are just not economically viable for the average collector to grade, when the cards have no standing value on their own.

b) Clutter - your basically putting a set inside a set and it is already a pain to update a 500- 2000 card Master set as it is.

c) If they are in there then that would force any and all collectors of that player to get them graded if they had any intentions of completing the set. For near worthless cards, it will just put collectors off.

These Player subsets can be and should be created as seperate entities from the Master sets, in my opinion. Some will agree, some won't, but a lot of us felt that for the life of the sets we collect this was the best guideline we could come up with.

Scott Jeanblanc
    jeanblanc@iconnect.net
    Ebay UserId: sjeanblanc
    ----------------------------------------------
    Collecting Nolan Ryan cards (68-94)
  • jimtbjimtb Posts: 704 ✭✭
    What falls into a Basic set is subject to much debate. Some collectors only include the main card from the big sets such as Topps, Fleer, Donruss, Score and Upper Deck. Others include Bowman, Ultra and other "non-main" card sets. There seems to be no hard, set rule. I know the Nolan Ryan collectors out there have established guide lines.
    Jim
    Collecting all graded Alan Trammell graded cards as well as graded 1984 Topps, Donruss, and Fleer Detroit Tigers
  • I am not a player set collector but if you look at the set composition for the Marino master set, there is a 2003 issue. That is definately not from his playing years.

Scott
    Registry Sets:
    T-205 Gold PSA 4 & up
    1967 Topps BB PSA 8 & up
    1975 Topps BB PSA 9 & up
    1959 Topps FB PSA 8 & up
    1976 Topps FB PSA 9 & up
    1981 Topps FB PSA 10
    1976-77 Topps BK PSA 9 & up
    1988-89 Fleer BK PSA 10
    3,000 Hit Club RC PSA 5 & Up

My Sets
  • AlanAllenAlanAllen Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭
    I've said it before and I'll say it again: PSA needs to research, develop, and publish guidelines for player sets. There is way too much inconsistency, which makes it near impossible to plan purchases and to compare amongst sets of different players. I'm quite sure we could come to a consensus on this board, but I'm not at all sure that PSA would be receptive or would stick to the rules. They have contradicted their own weighting rules so many times just in the sets I collect that I've lost count.

Joe
    No such details will spoil my plans...
  • AlanAllen,

You are 100% right, it would be nice if there were some Player set guidelines created, but I disagree that PSA wouldn't work with us on it. BJ has been very accomidating with our Nolan Ryan set issues, while this doesn't help other Player set collectors, I believe that their requests would be welcomed. After all we are the ones using the registry and PSA is benefitting from the business generated.

Scott Jeanblanc
    jeanblanc@iconnect.net
    Ebay UserId: sjeanblanc
    -----------------------------------------
    Collecting Nolan Ryan cards (68-94)