Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Boy! Was I ever out of my League!

I had my eye on 8 Bell Brand cards, 1962, that were still in the cellophane (in some instances, just barely). Had I been able to win any of these cards, I personally would have wanted to take them out of the cellophane and have them graded. I don't know who the winning bidders and underbidders are, but I'm thinking they may be unopened type collectors. Here's the link to the just completed 8 auctions. I'd like to hear what you guys have to say regarding keeping these cards intact in the cellophane or popping them out and sending them in; possibly getting 9s or even 10s.

1962 Bell Brands MIP
Mark (amerbbcards)

"All evil needs to triumph is for good men to do nothing."

Comments

• Options
    Holy Scmoly,
    Geez, glad I wasn't involved in that mess. I popped a couple of 62's last year that I had owned since the early 8's. One was a Snider and the other a Fairly. I thought they looked good and I figured what the heck since the looked good and the original price tags were still on the outside ($7.50 for the Fairly and $12.50 for the Snider). I got a 5 I think on the Snider and a 7 on the Fairly. Had I known that people were willing to play that game, I would have certainly kept them closed instead of turning them into nothing special. The cello was very, very thin and the oil that was left on the outside of the cello would continue to stain the card into the future. That is why the 9's are worth a small fortune. I don't think at those prices they will have much chance of breaking even but they will have some nice cards they may not otherwise have had.
    Fuzz
    Wanted: Bell Brands FB and BB, Chiefs regionals especially those ugly milk cards, Coke caps, Topps and Fleer inserts and test issues from the 60's. 1981 FB Rack pack w/ Jan Stenerud on top.
  • Options
    GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    I"m with Fuzz. I've had similar results with BB and with '70 Kellogg's. Just because its still in the wrapper doesn't guarantee a 8- let alone a 10. Someone might've done you a favor there.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options
    I've never had good luck opening these things. I think I got a 7 once, one 6, and the other 2 I didn't even bother submitting since one had a small crease that couldn't be seen through the packaging, and the other had a print defect. You used to be able to buy the commons still in the wrapper for under $100, so I felt it was worth a shot to open them and submit. Last night's prices were pretty high, although you never know, maybe there is a nine in the batch. I think Vegas is a better gamble.

Rick
    Always looking for high-grade 1958-62 Bell Brand and Morrell Meat Dodger cards.
  • Options
    All I can say is...OUCH!

I bid on 4 but only got one, which will be removed and sent in, we will see how it turns out. I was also way out of my league. Once I hit 100%, I'm going to stop and let the market cool down.

Yikes! I feel somewhat responsible for helping create this mess? The strain is more than I can handle...lol.

Kevin
  • Options
    Kevin,
    it was a nice article, just wished you had waited to write it until I COMPLETED MY SETS. On the other hand, I have been working on these Bell Brands for over 10 years, so maybe I should have had them finished by now. Those last few cards are going to be expensive!

Rick
  • Options
    MorrellManMorrellMan Posts: 3,238 ✭✭✭
    How about writing an article about the little known phenomenon regarding the incredible devaluation of '59 Morrell Koufaxs in relationship to the rest of the set....image
    Mark (amerbbcards)

• Options
    Rick,

We are in the same boat! After I complete my 62's I'm gonna give it up....at least for a while. Think of it this way, I just doubled the value of what you already have (as he looks for hand outs)....lol

Am I correct in assuming that we are all from the L.A. area?
  • Options
    GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    I am, but know at least 1 Morrell collector that is the other side of the country and 1 Bell Brand guy as well.
    Like everyone else, they both secretly want to live here.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options
    I get high when I breathe clean air...yes, I'm from L.A.image
    Mark (amerbbcards)

• Options
    For those who are curious:

The "In pack" Drysdale Bell card arrive today. It is perfectly centered, front and back. There is a stain on the top right....barely noticeable as described....not hardly. The shine is brilliant, pack fresh. The corners are all mint but one has a microscopic ding. It should grade between a 6 or 7 depending on the downgrade for the stain. Ouch! it also has a print line on the bottom, PSA sometimes let those slide. Plently of eye appeal though. My feeling is that the other cards that were up for auction will bring in a high grade. I bought the lesser of 8 evils.

Anyone want to buy a genuine 1962 Bell Brand cello wrapper?

Kevin
  • Options
    Kevin,
    Sounds great! What a rush to pull Big D out of a wrapper. Perfectly centered Bells are the cats meow, especially the Drysdale: the blue sky, Don staring in....congrats! Lettuce know how it grades.

I got my foldout today and I'm very pleased. It's a little rough and probably of little interest to anybody but a die hard '59 Morrell collector (like me) but it displays well and certainly defines my collection.

why don't you throw that wrapper on eBay with a BIN?image
    Mark (amerbbcards)

• Options
    Mark,

Did you get my PM about the 59 Dodger postcards?
  • Options
    Kevin,

I did, I sent you back a PM, and I noticed it didn't go, so I just sent it again and that didn't go. I think you're PM is off - your control panel doesn't show the PM icon.

Mark (amerbbcards)

• Options
    I got it working...I think. Please try again.
  • Options
    I did - check your PMs!
    Mark (amerbbcards)

• Options
    Ok, I did it. Put the wrapper up on ebay. What a riot. image

Bell Brand Wrapper
  • Options
    theBobstheBobs Posts: 1,136 ✭✭
    Nice to have so many payment options on that wrapper...
    Where have you gone Dave Vargha
    CU turns its lonely eyes to you
    What's the you say, Mrs Robinson
    Vargha bucks have left and gone away?

hey hey hey
    hey hey hey
  • Options
    Good luck - maybe you get the grading cost covered!
    Mark (amerbbcards)

• Options

<< <i>Nice to have so many payment options on that wrapper... >>

I only aim to please. It's all about the customer!

Kevin
  • Options
    Now THAT is a funny auction image
  • Options
    Only got a buck....but it sold!

Now I can die a happy man.

Bell Brand Wrapper

Kevin
  • Options
    got any bell brand dups?

live each day like it's your last but don't count on it!
  • Options
    Kevin - congrats on the sale!
    Mark (amerbbcards)

• Options
    Marz, yes I have dupes but they are raw and low-grade. Fillers for a set completion. I am also trying to complete low-grade set see my post on another thread.

Bell Brand Collectors....
  • Options
    Cello Find Update,

The PSA Gods smiled upon me. Drysdale came back a 7. Much higher than I thought.

Kevin
  • Options
    Kevin

Great pick-up!!

Rick
  • Options
    Thanks Rick...am sending you a PM.

One more left then I quit with Bells. The market is just too high for me now. Anyone want to throw me a bone? I need a 62 Willie Davis, can't seem to find a good one.

I'm moving on to bigger things....87 Toy's R Us.

Kevin