Just flew back from sportsfest TWO BOX EXQUISITE BOX! GARBAGE

I sold the entire contents of the boxes for 200.00

2 boxes-
3 based cards duncan, odom and carter
Perkins rookie, Gary Payton jersey auto patch #'d 100
Bosh Nameplate patch #'d 25
Haslim rookie patch auto #'d 40
magic rookie patch card auto
the other two cards were doggs too but cant remember. I did it and will regret it for the rest of my life sold all 10 cards for 200.00 to git the cards out of my sight
Check Out our auctions grandslamcardco on ebay

Comments

• Options
    I guess I'll ask the obvious question...

How much did you spend on the 2 boxes (if it's not too painful)?

-Bob
    TradingCardCentral.com - THE resource for trading card collectors.

TradingCardCentral.com covers sports cards, non-sports cards and collectibles and features the latest industry news, articles, product reviews, forums, giveaways and a growing number of collector resources.
  • Options
    Too bad you don't have a long lost Japanese cousin cause you would have pulled the Lebron Jordan patch 1/1!

Brian
  • Options
    1200.00 and people were asking NO LESS THAN THAT! I saw 675.00 or 1750 a case. I saw people getting WORKED on that product. The reason I bought two was a big mistake. the first was SO BAD I was betting UD would have two better boxes in the three box case. I WAS SO WRONG! It was a total mistake to buy the second box and was my mistake not UD's fault I am stupid. I should have learned from the first box getting a PAYTON patch auto #'d to 100 was the best card in a 600 box of cards! That is a joke and I will never buy a high $ box of cards from UD again!

I am moving to vintage and staying there
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    UD is crap...........everything they do is borderline unethical
    Good for you.
  • Options
    Lothar52Lothar52 Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭
    500 bucks a pack RUINES the hobby...this is suck crap...took them 2 bucks to make the product and 500 bucks a pack!!!???!!! COME ON PEOPLE...UD is LAUGHING to the bank!!!!!!!

loth

STOP BUYING IT!!!!
  • Options
    ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭
    Ridiculous, and yet, this crap is up to almost $700 a box on Ebay right now. I still bid on a few of the individual cards, but after getting burned bigtime on 3 boxes of Ultimate, I will never buy high priced UD junk ever again. Talk about turning people off to the hobby...
  • Options
    BINGO!!!
  • Options
    i recently paid 250 for a psa 7 perfectly centered roberto clemente.....AND THAT HALF THE PRICE OF A BASKETBALL CARD PACK!!!!!!!! WHATEVER!!!!! FOR BASKETBALL!!????????????

im pissed...and i didnt even waist any money on this stuff??? WHO GET RICH BUT UD FOR THIS STUFF????? LAUGHING TO THE BANK!!!!!!
  • Options
    EagleEyeKidEagleEyeKid Posts: 4,496 ✭✭
    Well so far on this product, I have only read all the horror stories and disappointment. I haven't read one positive one yet. I don't like these potential rich quick scheme products and thank gawd I don't have that kind of money. I think I have a better chance with the lottery. I think everyone should stop buying these thrill packs. Doesn't seem to thrill anyone.....at least not on these boards.
  • Options
    mudflap02mudflap02 Posts: 2,060 ✭✭
    Pick6-

Don't get too down on yourself. Just look at is a lesson learned and move on - try not to dwell on it. This hobby is just like anything else, with peaks and valleys, strikes and gutters, etc. I realize it may be more of a business to some than to others, but remember that the business exists becuase of the hobby and not the other way around. Something else will some along and it will give you the same rush and enjoyment that you have to feel if you enjoy this at all. If the enjoyment is gone, cut your losses and try your hand with Don Lapre, Tony Robbins, or even Tom Bosley.
  • Options
    MorrellManMorrellMan Posts: 3,238 ✭✭✭
    interesting thread - I haven't bought a new card in 12 years.
    Mark (amerbbcards)

"All evil needs to triumph is for good men to do nothing."
  • Options
    SoFLPhillyFanSoFLPhillyFan Posts: 3,931 ✭✭
    pick 6 -

I concur with the encouraging words that direct you more to the joy of collecting than the trials of buying and selling.

It surely is a shame that the hobby has escalated to the extremes of packs and small boxes that cost hundreds of dollars. I would say that these products are not part of the card collecting hobby, but more along the lines of memorabilia (and high priced at that).

I have on my desk today several PSA graded and raw 81 Topps that came from a wax box that you sold me a month go. Not being one who can spend thousands on cards I get my kicks out of buying mostly 20-25 year old stuff and selling a little to add to my small collection. The cards you sold me are great and will produce some good grades, some to sell, most to keep. This I think is the heart of why we stay in this hobby. You have probably spread this to the many other buyers who bid on your auctions over the last month.

Currently I am waiting on payment for a PSA 9 Fleer Clemens that sold two weeks ago. The bidder had no feedback when he bid and -1 a few days after the auction ended. I emailed him and mentioned my concern. His replies led me to believe that he is a teenager who has been taken into the Ebay thing and maybe he has overextended himself. He said he sent me a personal check (from his Mom), whch did not arrive. In another message he said he had bought a money order after I told him I did not like to take checks. To make the story short he now says he has sent the money order and it should get here today or tomorrow. I told him that today is the final day, but did not tell him that I will really wait until tomorrow for his payment. Hopefuly it will get here and I will see that this is a young person who is really trying to get into the hobby. It will make me happy to see this and know that the benefit of the doubt I have given has been valid.

I guess it's really the little things that matter in this hobby. If we look for those then every once in a while we find a gem that was not expected. The dollars mean something but those colored pieces of cardboard should mean more.

Hang in there.

• Options
    envoy98envoy98 Posts: 4,000 ✭✭
    not to make you feel bad, but you should have gotten at least $200 just for the Bosh nameplates. That's a great card! Sure, you didn't get anywhere near your $1200 back but I bought a case of this stuff and I got about $900 back of my $1350 I spent on the case. I am tempted to go buy another case if I can still get it for 425/box at the local money pit... They don't keep up with the price trends on their high $$$ stuff, they still have Ultimate at $799/box. Very bad.

Anyway, it's a thrill ride, Exquisite won't be out next year, this was a one shot deal. Sorry to hear you got burned, that does blow but would it have been the greatest thing since sliced bread if you would've pulled some bank-breaking card? I got a lot of garbage in mine, I did a little better than you but it was a gamble, I knew it and unfortunately for you and I, we both lost. Maybe next year? image
  • Options
    soflphilfan- I went to the show with the intent to blow money on one box since I had made such a score and sold all the goods on ebay. I made about 10K on that deal and do this for a living now. However, the second box is what gets me!
    I love the vintage cards and am going to focus ONLY on 1985 and older.
    I want to have cards in inventory that go up not cards you have to sell the minute you buy them or you lose hundreds of dollars.

This is a hobby that I can make a living doing but I have to learn UD IS NOT LEGIT IMHO.

ONE GUY SELLING over 100K in 3 cards is to much of a coincidence in my opinion

I will never buy another product from them- honestly not sour grapes but these threads were posted as I was in chicago and had NO IDEA the same seller keeps supposedly buying all the KEYS from the exquisite set.

I saw CASES UPON CASES opened this weekend(exquisite) and nothing major at all

I just dont think it adds up in my opinion.

I learned a lesson and no big deal but want the board to know the low down on the proudct.
  • Options
    actually last one sold for 125.00 and dropping rapidly so I wanted to dump it while I could.

I could have broke them up and sold on ebay for 250-275.00 IMHO but ebay fees, NPB on this product is HIGH, and have hundreds of vintage items to list so I threw a kid a bone to make a few bucks. Also it was not MINT it was NRMT with a nicked corner
  • Options
    srs1asrs1a Posts: 398
    Is UD the problem for bringing a $500/pack product to market? Or are the collectors that are shelling out the cash the problem...'cause, without one you wouldn't have the other.image

On the analogy of this product being like the lottery....5 quick picks = $5...so one pack of this stuff is 2 years worth of my lottery investment. I like the lottery better...alot better.

Dr S. of the Dead Donkeys MC
  • Options
    Hey,
    Very sorry to hear about that break. But in case you are interested in some articles that are semi-relavent to your concerns, check out my freelance writing site. Freelance Link Maybe you will see something to open your eyes. Enjoy

Henry
    Looking for:
    1957 Topps 271, 343
    1934 Goudey
  • Options
    kobykoby Posts: 1,699 ✭✭
    Amazing. I think I would go for it too if the odds were a little better. But I have not heard of anyone pulling cards with value exceeding $500 besides the $60000 Lebron/Kobe card.
  • Options
    There have been a few Lebron and MJ autos (and a Lebron/Wade/Carmelo/Darko patch with no autos) that sold for well over $1,000. But, there seem to be much more of the $50-$200 type card, which often will be the best card you get from your box.
  • Options

<< <i>Anyway, it's a thrill ride, Exquisite won't be out next year, this was a one shot deal. >>

I was at the SportsFest also on Saturday. Upper Deck had a booth set up there with two reps. They had a redemption program each of the 3 days of the show. Buy and open any 10 packs from 2004 Upper Deck in front of them, and they would give you a small ,wrapped set of 5 players exclusively made for the SportsFest and each serial numbered out of 500 copies. Each day offered 5 different players. I was only there on Saturday, so my set consisted of Michael Jordan, Wayne Gretzky, Derek Jeter, Annika Sorenstam, and Joe Dimaggio. Any sets that weren't redeemed would be destroyed, and trust me, there wasn't too many people doing this. There definitely isn't going to be 500 sets in circulation. Could be 100 or so.

Anyway, I was able to chat with these two reps as I opened my 10 packs, because nobody was taking them up on the offer. My first question was "How many boxes of Exquisite did they make?". They both kinda laughed a bit and then avoided the question by saying that if you simply multiplied each tier of rookies by the amount of rookies in the set, you would easily figure it out. I think it gets tough because a paralle of the rookies is that they are numbered to their jersey number.

I also asked them of the feedback they received, and they said it was astounding!! I personally told them that my box sucked a$$, as I only netted about $150 or so out of my $480 box. Nothing special. They said that the feedback was good, that they were strongly considering the FOOTBALL set. Keep an eye out for it. They kind of hinted that this wasn't the end. They said exactly what we say. "There is alot more demand for the product then there is not!". They have lists of people who want to buy it since it sold out. As long as there are people willing to pay the $$$$, they will continue to make it.

I am a victim of this set. I should have trusted my first instinct, and waited a mere 2 weeks to turn the box for a profit. I paid $480, and they are going off on Ebay now at $660 or so a box.

Once that Lebron/Jordan Logo Man Patch 1/1 shows up on Ebay for sale by ValleyAuctions, these boxes should die down. LOL.

Anyway Envoy, I just quoted you because I was told a bit different by Upper Deck when I spoke with them.

TheRoach

7 MVP awards, the single season HR record, career walks record, single season walks record, 700HR/500SB, and two batting titles near 40 years old. How can one argue that those aren't stats of the greatest to ever play the game??? All this and there is still more to come!!!! Bonds:2005 NL MVP. Or are you going to doubt him again?
  • Options
    I almost experienced a momentary lapse of insanity and used the paypal financing option to purchase an unopened case. Once the fog in my head cleared I decided to pass and I am glad I did. On another note, one of the local store owners said prodcts like Exquisite and Ultimate keep them in business. They're great guys but I'm still not buying. image

Scott

Edited to add: The reason they keep selling is people are searching for that LeBron/MJ logo 1/1. I bet it has already been pulled and they're sitting on it.
    Registry Sets:
    T-205 Gold PSA 4 & up
    1967 Topps BB PSA 8 & up
    1975 Topps BB PSA 9 & up
    1959 Topps FB PSA 8 & up
    1976 Topps FB PSA 9 & up
    1981 Topps FB PSA 10
    1976-77 Topps BK PSA 9 & up
    1988-89 Fleer BK PSA 10
    3,000 Hit Club RC PSA 5 & Up

My Sets
  • Options
    envoy98envoy98 Posts: 4,000 ✭✭
    Hmm. That's interesting. UD even had an article, either on their site or in an earlier press release that stated something to the effect of "once in a generation does a rookie class such as this years come along and once in a generation a product like Exquisite comes along to showcase them" or something to that effect. It essentially eluded to the fact that it was a one shot deal. Maybe I just read too much into it. I cannot believe there is anything in FB that could possibly warrant a $500/pk pricetag....but...stranger things have certainly happened. BTW Roach, no explanation neccessary. image Quote away!
  • Options
    I remember reading that also, envoy98. With the enormous number of rookies in football, and the low percentage of noteworthy ones (due to injuries, and a short season) a football product of this nature would have to be built on HOF players to sustain any momentum. Maybe Marino, Elway, Bradshaw type autos or something...despite all the people getting ripped by this product, I am sure it would still sell.

BTW, Exquisite is now over $2K a case on Ebay. image
  • Options
    AknotAknot Posts: 1,196 ✭✭
    I have read the title to the thread and have avoided this. But no longer:

Just flew back from sportsfest.............AND BOY MY ARMS ARE TIRED.

sorry.
  • Options
    aconteaconte Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I am moving to vintage and staying there >>

Smart move!

<< <i>Buy and open any 10 packs from 2004 Upper Deck in front of them, and they would give you a small ,wrapped set of 5 players exclusively made for the SportsFest and each serial numbered out of 500 copies. >>

More junk from a card company. They create artificial scarcity for real c-rap. Next month this stuff
    isn't worth the paper it's printed on. Hopefully, the cards serve as a fun hobby and not an
    investment outlet. Disappointment will occur if you believe you can make money long term on
    this junk from Upper Deck.

aconte
  • Options
    NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭
    << Buy and open any 10 packs from 2004 Upper Deck in front of them, and they would give you a small ,wrapped set of 5 players exclusively made for the SportsFest and each serial numbered out of 500 copies. >>

More junk from a card company. They create artificial scarcity for real c-rap. Next month this stuff
    isn't worth the paper it's printed on. Hopefully, the cards serve as a fun hobby and not an
    investment outlet. Disappointment will occur if you believe you can make money long term on
    this junk from Upper Deck.

aconte

Actually, Upper Deck (and other manufacturer) show promo sets have a small following among collectors. The cards generally have an entirely different look from their regularly marketed sets, and many player collectors consider these even more important than serial numbered parallels.

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.
  • Options
    Not in my case...I was at last year's National, and the hot redemption from UD was a 3 pack of Lebron James Promo cards. You had to rip a whole box to get one set, and the lines in some cases were quite long to turn your wrappers in (and, if you just brought the wrappers, and no cards and box...you were out of luck). PSA even offered an on-site grading special ($45) for same day grading of the three cards. Wow, I thought...what a valuable item these will be someday (with a bit of sarcasm). I got three sets, graded one, and sold the two wrapped raw sets on Ebay a few weeks ago for the whopping total of $8.00. The PSA set (all 9's) is still in my possession, but I see them on Ebay all the time with little action.
  • Options
    aconteaconte Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭
    ctsoxfan,

I was there to last year. I saw that long line and passed.

I think only the first few on ebay made money.

aconte