Home PSA Set Registry Forum

Whats the deal with waverly82?

Man, this dude just got over $62 for a RAW '72 topps Vida Blue IA!!!! I know he's got some nice stuff, but jeez. What does one of these go for in PSA 8? On a side note, last time waverly broke a 72 set (9 or 10 months ago?) I emailed him about some of the tougher cards which were not listed. I ended up getting a Wills IA and a Barton for $2 each which both ended up getting 8s. I stupidly sold them at the time to a couple of board members here (can't remember exactly who) for the quick cash. I think I got $100 for the Wills and $125 for the Barton. Now that I'm contemplating making a real run at this set, I sorely wish I had them back. Just out of curiosity, what would a Barton and a Wills IA in PSA 8 bring if they were to hit ebay today?

Comments

• highendhighend Posts: 534
    jason- eric (waverly82) is one of the more accurate graders/sellers of raw material on ebay. i have had lots of positive transactions with him, in the rare instances when i felt a card had been overgraded i received an immediate refund.
    recently, a barton ia sold privately for about 120 bucks , the seller was offered 180 the next day. the last wills ia went for about 125.00 i think frank bakka sold that one. as a testament to the benevolence of the 72 registry guys, a wills ia was all but given to me as part of a trade.
    i won the blue ia, it is probably one of the best centered copies i have ever seen. the blue ia is arguably the toughest card in the set. the 60 bucks was a small gamble as i predict the next 8 that comes up for auction will go for close to 300 bucks.
    if your ready to take the plunge on the 72 set LMK i have close to 50 eights (lots of stars aaron ,clemente ETC.) and some 9's that are collecting dust................jim
  • WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Eric is a class act and has a huge raw following. and as Highend said if you have a problem with any of his cards a refund is never a problem.
    Good for you.
  • FBFB Posts: 1,684 ✭✭
    Jason,

I've been out of the loop lately on the raw 72's on eBay - but it certainly does seem that waverly has a TREMENDOUS following for his raw material. Paying that kind of money for a card here and a card there especially when they're as tough as the Blue IA isn't necessarily a bad thing. But... when you see guys paying between $15 and $40 for EXTREMELY EASY commons listed as MINT (where 25% might come back with a PSA 9 label and the rest 8's) you're better off picking up the PSA 9 on eBay for $30.

I tallied up the breakup value that he got for 450 cards out of 787 came to $6500 on eBay last night.

VERY nice cash on those cards!
    Frank Bakka
    Sets - 1970, 1971 and 1972
    Always looking for 1972 O-PEE-CHEE Baseball in PSA 9 or 10!

lynnfrank@earthlink.net
    outerbankyank on eBay!
  • frank- your'e right about the downside of buying raw. even with a good seller like eric there is a large degree of risk. he is the only raw seller on ebay i've bought from that i have had cards graded out as psa 10.
    sadly, i am probably still behind in the game. i recently paid 26 bucks for a casey cox that judging from the scan i thought it MIGHT be a 10, add 10.00 for grading and i have a 36 dollar psa 8! same goes for the 50.00 psa 8 jim wynn i have in my collection.

i don't have a gambling problem, i'm just looking for one more big score to come out on top and then i know i'll be able to stop overpaying for raw.............image

edited to say i have a 90% complete raw nm- nm-mt set i'm thinking about breaking and selling on ebay. even if he paid 2500 for the set it's a huge profit.
  • gemintgemint Posts: 6,068 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have had similar experiences buying from him. He does have some nice cards and will take back cards that had flaws he missed in the auction description. The risk is still substantial as some have stated. I bought a few 1957's that were advertised as NM-MT+ for around $50 each. One came back an 8 and the other "evidence of trimming". Unless it's a really tough card, I don't go that route anymore. I just can't believe the bids some of the Mint cards with 80-20 or worse centering bring in. Who would pay triple retail for a card that would get no better than a 7 without qualifiers?
  • When waverly first started breaking sets, I used to check out his auctions every week. But I guess the word got out and now its nearly impossible for me on my limited budget to compete with some of the prices his stuff is bringing. I did git caught up in the hoopla once on a mint '63 Topps Clemente. I would not be denied and ended up paying over $500. If not for a minor print line in the background, I really beleive it would have gotten a 9. There was not a single speck of white to be found on the bottom blue field. Instead, I ended up with a very expensive 8. BTW, Jim, would you let us know how the Blue IA ends up. I tried to get that Kendall he had listed as mint, but I think it went for around $35. Was that anyone here who got that Kendall?
  • highendhighend Posts: 534
    jason- i remember when he first started breaking sets, he just listed the stars, team cards and high numbers. i bought a number of a partial sets from him at great prices . he started to list more and more singles as time went on including all the semi highs etc. nowadays, he is even listing the high end low series commons. i'm glad he is doing well, he is a true gentleman.
    i'll let you know how i make out with the blue ia, but it wouldn't be my first expensive psa 7.
  • BugOnTheRugBugOnTheRug Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭
    Sorry guys,
    I don't mean to pee on the charcoal here but I've had 2 dealings with Waverly and both have been subpar. In both instances (a set and a single) they were overgraded. Yes, he gladly refunds but what a hassle. It's fine to offer refunds but that should not be an escape clause for grading inaccuracy and hype (his auction listings dabbles in too much hype for my tastes). This seems to be his inherent mode of operations - to rely on the return as security.

However, I'm glad that there are those who have good dealings with him. If it works for you, more power to you. But for my $$$, I'll stick to Mickey's for raw any day of the week.............

BOTR