Home Buy, Sell & Trade - Cards & Memorabilia
Options

51 Bowman/52-53 Topps

Hey Guys

I was on vacation this past week, and I ran in to some old cards. Actually there was a binder full of what I think were 51 Bowman & 52 or 53 Topps. Now don't get excited, these were not in the best of shape. My opinion is that they were mostly PSA 3 or 4's with an occasional 5. Some may have been even as low as a 2. Looked like all the star cards were gone.

What I would like to know, is there a market for low grade vintage of this era? Should I consider buying the whole lot? I think I can buy them for around $4-5 a card. Does that make sense? Are there certain things I should look for?

Any help would be appreciated. I would most likely grade and sell these cards if I buy them.

RobBob
Serving Ice-Custard-Happiness since 2006

Comments

• Options
    magellanmagellan Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭
    Rob , I'm no expert on the 50's but of those 3 sets the lowest SMR on a single is $12 for a 51 Bowman PSA 5 card #'s 1-252. So if you buy (in this case ) for $2 a card, grade it , then you have say $10 in it. Not much wiggle room there actually .................but the hi series go for $25 in PSA 5 , the 52's go for 20-30 in 5 and the 53's from 15- 45. I'd love to just own those cards but if they're PSA 2-3 's then maybe $1 a card is more realistic for the lower priced series. Just my 2 cents.

Dave
    Topps Heritage

Now collecting:
    Topps Heritage

1957 Topps BB Ex+-NM
    All Yaz Items 7+
    Various Red Sox
    Did I leave anything out?
  • Options
    VarghaVargha Posts: 2,392 ✭✭
    No stars? Maybe a buck apiece (max.) and then only if you are trying to build low grade sets for yourself.
  • Options
    VarghaVargha Posts: 2,392 ✭✭
    My response was for the 51's. The 52's are more easily sold in that condition.
  • Options
    RobBobGolfRobBobGolf Posts: 414 ✭✭✭
    OH, and by the way, there were some 69 Topps BB as well. I bought one to submit (#379 Ken Boyer), looks like a 7/8. Should it come back an 8, I will be in the area again in August and will buy as many as I can that look as good.

RobBob
    Serving Ice-Custard-Happiness since 2006