Home PSA Set Registry Forum

Need a little help with submissions

I was wondering what the best soft or mylar sleeves you use before putting cards into a card saver? Any suggestion and links to the best places to buy these would be appreciated. Thanks allot everyone.

TK
1975 Topps Football PSA 9 or Better

Comments

• bobsbbcardsbobsbbcards Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭
    I have the same question about where to buy mylar sleeves. I used to buy from Georgia Music and Sports quite a bit at shows, and was always impressed by the mylar sleeves they used. It was shaped almost like a card saver (front of sleeve about a quarter inch to a half inch shorter than the back of sleeve making it very easy to get cards in without scuffing the corners).

Bob
  • SoFLPhillyFanSoFLPhillyFan Posts: 3,931 ✭✭
    There is BCW, but I don't see sleeves with a longer top edge. They do have 5" tall sleeves.

BCW Supplies
  • ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭
    I simply use penny sleeves, Ultra Pro Platinum, then slide that into a Card Saver. If there is a better way, let me know!
  • MorrellManMorrellMan Posts: 3,238 ✭✭✭
    good thread here - I've only sent in less than 200 cards, but I've never used penny sleeves. I always carefully slide them into Card Savers and package them tightly in the shipping box. To date, I've been pretty happy with my grades. Does anybody know if the graders PREFER to receive cards prepacked in penny sleeves? It seems to me that the more sleeves you put a card into, the more chance of damage going in or coming out - what d'ya say?
    Mark (amerbbcards)

"All evil needs to triumph is for good men to do nothing."
  • ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭
    Mark, I don't know if they prefer it, but I like the extra protection the sleeve adds. There was another thread on here a while back, where I asked what other collectors thought about using a penny sleeve. Most agreed it was a good idea, but I see your point about another possible item to add to card damage. Curious to hear any new thoughts...
  • mudflap02mudflap02 Posts: 2,060 ✭✭
    I use 55 gallon trash bags and then cram the card into a Card Saver II. I figure the more protection, the better.
  • SoFLPhillyFanSoFLPhillyFan Posts: 3,931 ✭✭
    I practice "safe grading" and double bag my submissions. Ultra Pro Platinum sleeves for me too.

PSA does suggest using sleeves I think.

I worry more about damaging the card when I put it in the Card Saver, than when the grader takes it out.

Personally when I have to remove a card from a top loader I use tweezers and carefully grab the top of the sleeve, not touching the card. Had too many problems with trying to remove unsleeved cards from top loaders with my fingers.
  • MorrellManMorrellMan Posts: 3,238 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I use 55 gallon trash bags and then cram the card into a Card Saver II. I figure the more protection, the better. >>

too f'ing funny....image
    Mark (amerbbcards)

"All evil needs to triumph is for good men to do nothing."
  • gregm13gregm13 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭
    I like the penny sleeves also - but I prefer the slightly larger ones (2 5/8 x 3 5/8). That way, you're not trying to jam the card into the tight sleeve (sounds sort of kinky....).

Regards,

Greg M.
    Collecting vintage auto'd fb cards and Dan Marino cards!!

References:
    Onlychild, Ahmanfan, fabfrank, wufdude, jradke, Reese, Jasp, thenavarro
    E-Bay id: greg_n_meg
  • Thanks for the help guys. It sounds like the Ultra Pro Plat. is what most people use. I will try those out. I also like the bigger sleeves, cause I have dinged cards trying to get them in to the penny sleeves. I wish I could find those sleeves with one side being larger like a cardsaver. Thanks again.

TK
    1975 Topps Football PSA 9 or Better
  • gemintgemint Posts: 6,068 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Aside from 1971 baseball which chips easily, I don't submit using a penny sleeve. I've submitted over 5000 cards (mostly in CardSaver I's but also some in CardSaver II's) and never had a problem. I did receive a few cards holdered with clipped corners that weren't like that when I sent them, but this was several years ago when PSA was bringing a lot of new graders on board. I haven't had that problem since then.