Home PSA Set Registry Forum

Football print runs...

To anyone who might know the answer. Does anyone know the approximate print run of vintage football vs. baseball cards back in the 50's and 60's? I have long wondered this, but what was the ratio of baseball to football printed in a particular year (5 to 1, 10 to 1, 20 to 1, ect...).

Regards,

Greg M.
Collecting vintage auto'd fb cards and Dan Marino cards!!

References:
Onlychild, Ahmanfan, fabfrank, wufdude, jradke, Reese, Jasp, thenavarro
E-Bay id: greg_n_meg

Comments

• wolfbearwolfbear Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭

From PSA's pop report, I took the years 1960, 1962, 1964, 1966, 1968, and 1970,
    and averaged the number of cards graded of each card and came up with 94 for baseball and 30 for football.

So for the 1960's, my estimate is that there were 3 times as many of each baseball card printed.

Pix of 'My Kids'

"How about a little fire Scarecrow ?"
  • mojorobmojorob Posts: 392 ✭✭
    Wolfbear,
    That is a pretty slick assesment on your part.
    Good Thinkin ...... By a Good Thinker !! image
    Little over 3 to 1 ratio of Baseball to Football.
    I would bet you are pretty darn close.
    Thanks for taking the time and your results.
    It is appreciated.

Mojoro
  • NHLfightguyNHLfightguy Posts: 525 ✭✭
    I think baseball cards back then were much more heavily collected and produced. I would put it at 5 to 1 or even greater........
  • JasP24JasP24 Posts: 4,645 ✭✭✭
    Especially on the football from the 40's and early 50's, the product(graded and/or raw) just isn't out there. As more collector's migrate into vintage football, the scarcity will become more apparent. Right now, it seems there are somewhere between 50-100 hardcore vintage football collectors in existence..(Very low pop...lol)

So the competition isn't quite as harsh as vintage baseball...But it' s getting there..I think another thing keeping the prices descent is the lack of SMR respect. Collectors may not follow the SMR to the letter, but most use it as a guide. When you do that and compare it to baseball, I think it keeps the bidding down as well..

Hopefully it will stay that way for just a little longer until I get my HOF RC set GPA up to 7.50...lol

Jason
    I'm here to question, not to inspire or build up. To live how I want, as I see fit,
    according to my values and my needs. Nothing holds dominion over me, I stand alone as the ruler of my life.
  • 50-100 Interesting stat Jason,

We have always pegged the prod runs to be more in the 10 to 1 range.

But really, it is anyones guess. Jeremy
    Jeremy
  • From us really really old guys who use to go to cards show back in the 70's. Yep the 70's when most of you kids were in grammar school, the convention wisdom at the time was for every 100 baseball cards printed, there were 10 Football, 10 basketball and 1 hockey. Topps has never issued anything helpful on this but that was what we used to here back before they invented dirt.
    Fuzz
    Wanted: Bell Brands FB and BB, Chiefs regionals especially those ugly milk cards, Coke caps, Topps and Fleer inserts and test issues from the 60's. 1981 FB Rack pack w/ Jan Stenerud on top.
  • wolfbearwolfbear Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭

You have to remember that the baseball sets on average,
    were about 3 times larger than the football sets.

So if there are 3 times as many of each individual card, muliplied by 3 times as many different cards,
    you would come up with about 9 times as many baseball cards printed as football cards.

Pix of 'My Kids'

"How about a little fire Scarecrow ?"
  • gregm13gregm13 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭
    I tend to agree w/ the 10 to 1 baseball card to football card ratio (of course this ratio will vary by year & set). There are certain sets such as 1962 and 1963 fleer that might be closer to 25 or 50 to 1.

I have been collecting vintage fb for over 10 years and have rarely come across any large collections of purely vintage fb. Most are leftovers from large baseball card collections. I am constantly amazed at the price difference b/t baseball and football considering the disparity in production runs.

I originally started collecting vintage fb vs. bb because how expensive vintage bb cards have become.

Regards,

Greg M.
    Collecting vintage auto'd fb cards and Dan Marino cards!!

References:
    Onlychild, Ahmanfan, fabfrank, wufdude, jradke, Reese, Jasp, thenavarro
    E-Bay id: greg_n_meg
  • Football is just way to tough. If i were you guys i would list all the football cards you have on ebay and NEVER bid on any again.
    Maybe then with THE FUZZ and WOLFBEAR out of the picture, just to mention a couple of the football giants a poor little collecter like myself might be able to buy 1 or 2 image

ps i say 1 to 10 is a good guess