Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Twins Autograph Party (Long read/scans)

First of all, the weather was great. Might have gotten into the mid to high 70's and partly sunny, which is perfect when you are standing in the sun all day.

For those who don't know the set up, you buy a $25 ticket (preceeds go to charity). With that you can try to get as many autos as you can. Current players/coaches sign at 12 different booths from 12:30 until 2:00. Allumni sign from 2:30-$:00 at 6 different booths. When you get to the front of a line, they check off the box for that booth so you can't go through more then once/ticket. What I did not realize is that each person can have 2 tickets that they can use at the same time. More on this latter.

I had auto's of most of the current players already. The only ones I needed were Shannon Stewart and Lew Ford. Fortunately they were signing at the same booth and got them both on individual baseballs on the sweet spot.

I then went directly to the Carew station. Since this station was being used for current players, we couldn't just get in the main line. So we form a sideline to wait to get in line once these guys are done. Security told us that we were not allowed to do this. So we formed a linear congragation of Carew fans waiting for an opportunity to form a line. Within 15 minutes, security decided that we were a line and decided to leave us alone. I was in the first 30 people in line for Carew.

Now, I knew Carew would NOT sign bats or Jerseys (bummer) so I had bought a couple of items off ebay (a scareboard and a yearbook from 1970-a year that featured Carew, Killebrew, Oliva, and Blyleven in the lineup (all but Carew are regulars at these events)). I could not decide which to get signed so I brought both.

Just before I got to the front of the line, I found out about the 2 ticket/person deal. I could not leave to go get a ticket unfortunately. Luckilly, someone came up to me and offered me a deal. Coomer was signing at the same booth. The guy had 2 cards he wanted signed by Coomer. He would loan me his card if I would give him the 2 Coomer autos, and I would get 2 Carews. Coool. Got both items signed.

I was doing good on time, so I lined up at the Oliva line. Still only had one autograph card. I just hand him both, and he signed both of them!

Time was getting really tight (btw, the Killebrew line is always huge--there is no way to get both Carew and Killebrew unless you are with someone else) but I hop in the Blyleven line. I figured I had no chance of getting through, but he keeps signing over the time limit. I made friends with someone who was not in line at the time and he gives me his card. So both items get the Blyleven auto. Only thing missing is Killebrew (will have to wait until TwinsFest next year).

While talking to him, he noted that Jack Morris (who now does the Radio Pre-Game show for the Twins--and who was NOT scheduled to sign) was doing his show at the WCCO van and was signing during commercials. Went over ther, had an extra ball, and got his autograph!

So, final tally
-Shannon Stewart (baseball-sweet spot)
-Lew Ford (baseball-sweet spot)
-Jack Morris (baseball sweet spot)
-Rod Carew X2 (1970 Yearbook, 1970 Scorecard)
-Tony Oliva X2 (1970 Yearbook, 1970 Scorecard)
-Bert Blyleven X2 (1970 Yearbook, 1970 Scorecard)

Total cost: $25 (plus supplies)

Card came with a "Buy one-get one free" coupon for upper deck seating at a home game this year (got a pair to the Walter Johnson Bobblehead day), so the total cost was $10 (and, yes, it's tax deductable).

Here are scans of the Yeakbook/Scorecard (unfortunately, my digital camera is acting odd, so I can't get pics of the baseballs up...).

Did anyone else go?

Comments

• CONGRATS!! that's awesome. i never knew they did stuff like that. of course, the only team i live close to are the DEVIL RAYS, and until lately, who would've shown up for that!! great story and sounded like lot of fun. hopefully i'll get around to get a MCGRIFF auto'd ball before he retires.
  • magellanmagellan Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭
    Damn , I thought this was gonna be about the Olsen twins ! Seriously, looks like you did great, the Twins should be commended for their public relations program.

Dave
    Topps Heritage

Now collecting:
    Topps Heritage

1957 Topps BB Ex+-NM
    All Yaz Items 7+
    Various Red Sox
    Did I leave anything out?
  • Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>So, final tally
    -Shannon Stewart (baseball-sweet spot)
    -Lew Ford (baseball-sweet spot)
    -Jack Morris (baseball sweet spot)
    -Rod Carew X2 (1970 Yearbook, 1970 Scorecard)
    -Tony Oliva X2 (1970 Yearbook, 1970 Scorecard)
    -Bert Blyleven X2 (1970 Yearbook, 1970 Scorecard)

Total cost: $25 (plus supplies) >>

Total cost: Priceless I know this is trite but had to add it. I wish more of my autos were obtained myself.
    Raymond
    Sounds like you had a great time, as so would I - I could even stand the long lines - thanx for sharing.
    Mike
    Mike
  • envoy98envoy98 Posts: 4,000 ✭✭
    I too was at this event. I managed to get Joe Mauer on the sweet spot and Johan Santana (What a beautiful auto). I also got in the Carew line and got him on the sweet spot. Mauer was cool enough to sign the ticket I had too which I had Coomer sign as well. I wasn't even going to get Coomer but I felt bad walking past him so I had him sign my ticket as well. I gave that ticket to a guy I work with for his grandson. I got Carew on the sweet spot of the ball. I had nothing else for Oliva to sign so I opted out of the line. I just couldn't stand having anyone else sign my Carew ball signed on the sweet spot.

It was a beautiful day and was a lot of fun. I can't wait for Twins fest next year. We'll have to see if Carew shows up again.