Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

The exquisite 1/1 mystery! emailed!

Dear valleyauction,

I find this hard to believe? you have sold a lebron spx auto #23/??? Then a kobe lebron dual patch from exquisite #d 1/1. now this #d 1/1 card. I just have to ask this do you sell these on consignment? or these pulled from packs? or you know someone at upperdeck? Dont mean to offend you but this is crazy like hitting the lotto of cards 3 times.

HIS RESPONSE

It is lucky! This card as the auction states I did not pull. My cousin and I went in on the card and bought it off a non-collector on ebay who did not want to leave it on auction for it's duration. I wanted to make it available to all bidders at no reserve with no early termination of the auction. Take care.

SO THEY BOUGHT IT AGAINST EBAY POCILICIES. I AM STILL SKEPTICAL ABOUT THIS.
DID ANYONE SEE THIS CARD UP ON EBAY BEFORE THIS GUY WAS SELLING IT. I DIDNT AND I CHECK EXQUISITE EVERY DAY.

Comments

• Options
    ajwajw Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭
    How does a "non collector" buy a $500 pack?
  • Options

<< <i>SO THEY BOUGHT IT AGAINST EBAY POCILICIES. I AM STILL SKEPTICAL ABOUT THIS.
    DID ANYONE SEE THIS CARD UP ON EBAY BEFORE THIS GUY WAS SELLING IT. I DIDNT AND I CHECK EXQUISITE EVERY DAY. >>

The card was previously on eBay. Click here to see the previous listing.

You'll see that the auction was ended early on 6/20/04 to be sold to the highest bidder at the current high bid. The high bid at the time was $27,099.

-Bob
    TradingCardCentral.com - THE resource for trading card collectors.

TradingCardCentral.com covers sports cards, non-sports cards and collectibles and features the latest industry news, articles, product reviews, forums, giveaways and a growing number of collector resources.
  • Options
    kuhlmannkuhlmann Posts: 3,326 ✭✭
    ahh that explains it. thanks for the link guy is legit afterall.
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    maybe someone can explain why a seller would end an auction early to the current hi bidder when it could only go higher? only thing I could think of is current hi bidder retracts bid and the seller could lose out that way?
    Good for you.
  • Options
    ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭
    Why would he buy it, then? A card like this is selling soley on hype, right? If it goes to auction one week, and then again the next, is he betting that this item simply becomes more desirable in a few weeks time so he can make some money? If he did acquire them legit, and perhaps he did, what's the deal? Whatever it is, anyone putting this kind of money into these silly 1/1 cards remains an idiot...
  • Options
    I have bought from valleyauctions,and they are good sellers,sent my item priority right away. He buys to resell. And he seems to do very well. The only thing I don't get: he changed his name to valleyauction(from $armo$)and someonelse took the $armo$ name. I'm suprised ebay allows this!
  • Options
    SoFLPhillyFanSoFLPhillyFan Posts: 3,931 ✭✭
    High bidder, after seeing that several other bidders are just as determined as he to buy the card, contacts the seller and offers to pay the current high bid plus a percentage of the sale price when it is relisted. Perhaps he even guarantees a certain additional amount.

The seller then cancels the auction, gets his 28K plus juice and doesn't have to hassle with the auction.

People will always find a way to make a deal, it's human nature. What does the guy have to lose. The seller can only say no.

A smart businessman with the resources to turn a good fast profit.

Given the recent problems with Ebay sellers and high priced autos like the Topps American Treasures cuts, it may be a smart move to handle the sale privately.

Reference - March 04 Tuff Stuff page 68 and April 04 Beckett page 11.
  • Options

<< <i>Why would he buy it, then? A card like this is selling soley on hype, right? If it goes to auction one week, and then again the next, is he betting that this item simply becomes more desirable in a few weeks time so he can make some money? If he did acquire them legit, and perhaps he did, what's the deal? Whatever it is, anyone putting this kind of money into these silly 1/1 cards remains an idiot... >>

He just sold the Lebron/Bryant 1/1 card for $62,100. Building off that publicity and his ability to draw people to his auctions, I'm sure that believes he can do better than the $27,099 spent for the Jordan/Bryant 1/1 card. In fact, the auction is already over $21,000 right now.

He may very well sell this card for twice what he paid for it.

-Bob
    TradingCardCentral.com - THE resource for trading card collectors.

TradingCardCentral.com covers sports cards, non-sports cards and collectibles and features the latest industry news, articles, product reviews, forums, giveaways and a growing number of collector resources.
  • Options
    i found this interesting, and a total contradiction-

to quote the seller's email- "It is lucky! This card as the auction states I did not pull. My cousin and I went in on the card and bought it off a non-collector on ebay who did not want to leave it on auction for it's duration. I wanted to make it available to all bidders at no reserve with no early termination of the auction. Take care."

auction description- I SOLD THE LEBRON JAMES/KOBE BRYANT VERSION OF THIS CARD FOR $62,100 AND HAD OFFERS TO STOP THE AUCTION OF $100,000 BUT SOLD IT UNDER EBAY RULES TO THE HIGHEST BIDDER. .

• Options
    NBAFanNBAFan Posts: 744
    It doesn't really matter, seeing that card also didn't make it out of California. 2 of the big 1 of 1's pulled in California?