Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Same dealer gets another 1/1 Exquisite "mega card"?

Okay, so now the MJ / Kobe card hits Ebay, being sold by the same dealer who sold the last big Exquisite 1/1 (Kobe-Lebron). Does this seem suspect to anyone? What are the chances this dealer "obtained" these cards by a different process than pulling them from packs, or buying them from the person who pulled it?

Is UD giving certain dealers the hot cases, or are these cards never actually inserted in packs? Makes you wonder...

Edited to add link:

1/1 Yet Again

Comments

• Options
    I just saw that too. The whole thing has me real skeptical. I'm not a conspiracy person, but I think that UD is behind this guy as a "puppet master" trying to stir up some PR for their product. C'mon - what are the odds that this guy pulls both and just happens to be a major seller?

Brian
  • Options
    That's $%!$*&^ bull!
    e-mail me @ EHTHOCKEY@YAHOO.COM

Collecting all bowman chrome rc's from 2002 and 2003
  • Options
    he also claimed to sell another Lebron 1/1 (or maybe serially numbered to his jersey #) awhile back. the odds that he pulls those 3 cards are pretty much nil
  • Options
    SDavidSDavid Posts: 1,584 ✭✭
    C'mon - what are the odds that this guy pulls both and just happens to be a major seller?

He could be selling some or all of them on consignment.

$Armo$/valleyauction is a well known seller who successfully hypes up all his auctions. Say what you want - he gets top dollar for everything he sells. If collectors were looking for someone to sell high dollar cards on consignment, he'd be the best choice. I imagine a lot of people are afraid to sell those cards on ebay because of all the horror stories they've read.

• Options
    i agree with SD. could be because of his name and high profile seller status, maybe he is selling them on consignment. without some backdoor BS at upper deck, there is no way that one person could pull all of those. unless he opened 75% of all the product out there.
  • Options
    ajwajw Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭
    Shipping is $500. Wow. Does that mean the seller flys to your house and drops the card off in person?
  • Options
    Even better than that AJW, the description states

THIS CARD WILL BE DELIVERED VIA BRINKS ARMORED TRUCK,

If that truck gets robbed, the crooks might bypass the money and steal the card. These prices are ridiculous, I would take the Ruth/Cobb 1/1 dual AUTO from Prime Cuts way before this or the LeBron/Kobe. Then again, I'd take a 6 month Hawaiin vacation before any of them.
    Jason
    Baseball Card Heaven, the closest card shop to the Las Vegas Strip.

Our current ebay auctions, and of course BaseBallCardHeaven.com
  • Options
    DirtyHarryDirtyHarry Posts: 1,914 ✭✭
    I agree that this is probably being sold on consignment...should be easy enough to check out by contacting the seller.

$500 shipping ---- delivered via Brinks Armored Truck !!!!!!!!

What astounds me more about this, just like the Lebron/Kobe, is that it isn't auto'd.
    "A man's got to know his limitations...." Dirty Harry

Unfocused, impulsive collector of everything ...
  • Options
    ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭
    And, look at that crappy logo on the Kobe side. Looks crooked, and a thread hanging out of it. Not that exqusite, really...

Also, what exactly is an "All NBA All Access" patch? If I spend 60K, what do I get access to?

Finally, I would not be suprised to see allegations of UD backdooring product arise from this. This will be tough to prove, but if the MJ - Lebron shows up with this dealer, remember this thread.
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    this is probably being sold on consignment but.....i do not put anything past the sleaze bags at UD either..........I remm clearly the scandal they had in 1990 with the Griffey jr Rookies
    Good for you.
  • Options
    Not much need for an ebay consignment the way I see it. Even with 2 of the 3 major cards from that product coming out of the Southern California area is enough for a scandal since that is where Upper Deck is located, but the same store is just ridiculous. Add on top of that they pulled the #23/750 LeBron SPx AUTO Jersey and I'd say there's some funny business going on, like these cards never even made it into packs but through the hands of an unruly UD employee who has connections to this store. Seems a little too convenient, but there is the outside possibility that it's just a huge coincidence.
    Jason
    Baseball Card Heaven, the closest card shop to the Las Vegas Strip.

Our current ebay auctions, and of course BaseBallCardHeaven.com
  • Options
    NBAFanNBAFan Posts: 744
    Well, we all know where the Jordan/Lebron 1/1 is going to be also now. If that is the case and the seller ends up listing it, I don't care if he claims he pulled it or not, the chances of him obtaining all 3 is a joke. If that is the case, I will never buy another Upper Deck Product again after seeing all the garbage everyone on this site ended up pulling.
  • Options
    helionauthelionaut Posts: 1,555 ✭✭
    He doesn't claim to have pulled it himself. He's either reselling it after buying it or selling it on consignment. This card sold once already: voila for $27K to username gem_cards, and the first line of the second paragraph of the new auction says "CHECK OUT GEM CARDS & COLLECTIBLES...." So if he got his money for the Kobe/Lebron, he's rolling the dice with the other "greatest card ever pulled" or whatever.
    WANTED:
    2005 Origins Old Judge Brown #/20 and Black 1/1s, 2000 Ultimate Victory Gold #/25
    2004 UD Legends Bake McBride autos & parallels, and 1974 Topps #601 PSA 9
    Rare Grady Sizemore parallels, printing plates, autographs

Nothing on ebay
  • Options
    Ever notice how the person that pulls these type of cards from packs usually gets interviewed, or featured, in Beckett or SCD? Where were the pieces on the guys who pulled these "masterpieces"? I know this conspiracy concept is tough to believe, but more than just a few of the elements are in place. If nothing else, how do both of these cards not make it out of SoCal?
  • Options
    Good point, where’s the guy who pulled the card? Doesn’t he want his 15 minutes of fame? I wonder how much of the product has been opened yet. I don’t want to veer too much OT, but another product – SP Legendary cuts baseball takes months or years for some of the money cards to surface and some never sees public eyes - not a few weeks for these “patch cards”. I had my doubts on the first auction because of the location of seller, private auction, and most importantly dollar amount. This auction further reaffirms my doubts.

Brian

edited to add if there's any doubt read this:

"THERE TRULY IS NOTHING BIGGER THIS. PLUS THIS IS THE HOBBIES HIGHEST QUALITY, CLASSIEST AND MOST EXPENSIVE PRODUCT EVER PRODUCED AT $750 A PACK. "

or

"My cousin Greg Mirigian and I obtained the card from a non collector and I will offer it to the world at No Reserve on a EBAY 10 day auction. I never knew I had a cousin until one night on Ebay this guy Buys 3 Michael Jordan rookie cards off me from Japan! Yes, Japan! The buyer sends me an email with the name Greg Mirigian in it and I thought it was some sort of scam because the emails had my last name on them! Then after 20 emails we finally figured out we were cousins! We exchanged pictures via email and we even looked a like! We then did some more high end sports cards deals and got to know each other a little. For 25 years I did not know he was even out there and found him by a sports card deal on EBAY. 1 in 50 Million that was!"

My guess is that he will find the LeBron/Jordan patch card at an old ladies garage sale and haggle it down to $1.25.
  • Options

<< <i>"My cousin Greg Mirigian and I obtained the card from a non collector and I will offer it to the world at No Reserve on a EBAY 10 day auction. I never knew I had a cousin until one night on Ebay this guy Buys 3 Michael Jordan rookie cards off me from Japan! Yes, Japan! The buyer sends me an email with the name Greg Mirigian in it and I thought it was some sort of scam because the emails had my last name on them! Then after 20 emails we finally figured out we were cousins! We exchanged pictures via email and we even looked a like! We then did some more high end sports cards deals and got to know each other a little. For 25 years I did not know he was even out there and found him by a sports card deal on EBAY. 1 in 50 Million that was!" >>

Well with cards like these he can't very well use the "My Grandpa left them to me", or "I was cleaning out the attic at my parent's house and found these". So he had to come up with something new..long lost cousin.

Skip
    I'll take the cards & flowers when I'm living and the BS when I'm dead!

ANGEL OF HOPE

Skip
    TUSTIN CA
  • Options

<< <i>He doesn't claim to have pulled it himself. He's either reselling it after buying it or selling it on consignment. This card sold once already: voila for $27K to username gem_cards, and the first line of the second paragraph of the new auction says "CHECK OUT GEM CARDS & COLLECTIBLES...." So if he got his money for the Kobe/Lebron, he's rolling the dice with the other "greatest card ever pulled" or whatever. >>

I agree. He's going to put his "hype machine" into action again on this card and see what he can do on another one of the 3 most sought-after cards from the Exquisite set. It's still a little unclear how he ended up with this card, but some of the "pieces" seem to match up.

-Bob
    TradingCardCentral.com - THE resource for trading card collectors.

TradingCardCentral.com covers sports cards, non-sports cards and collectibles and features the latest industry news, articles, product reviews, forums, giveaways and a growing number of collector resources.
  • Options

<< <i>My cousin Greg Mirigian and I obtained the card from a non collector and I will offer it to the world at No Reserve on a EBAY 10 day auction. I never knew I had a cousin until one night on Ebay this guy Buys 3 Michael Jordan rookie cards off me from Japan! Yes, Japan! The buyer sends me an email with the name Greg Mirigian in it and I thought it was some sort of scam because the emails had my last name on them! Then after 20 emails we finally figured out we were cousins! We exchanged pictures via email and we even looked a like! We then did some more high end sports cards deals and got to know each other a little. For 25 years I did not know he was even out there and found him by a sports card deal on EBAY. 1 in 50 Million that was >>

Every time I start to give this guy the benefit of the doubt, something ridiculous like this comes to light - give me a break! Cousins! Sheesh...
  • Options
    Lothar52Lothar52 Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭
    lets make something clear from a lothar52 only standpoint...these are not the greatest cards ever pulled in certainly not america's greatest sport.....and anybody alive today who was 9 yrs old in 1952 and was lucky enough to buy some high series packs...and pull a well centered mint mickey mantle card....well there ya have.....greatest pulls ever- and i bet there were quite a few of them.

loth
  • Options
    joker73joker73 Posts: 497

<< <i>I will never buy another Upper Deck Product again after seeing all the garbage everyone on this site ended up pulling. >>

Welcome to a club that has been growing steadily in popularity over the past few years image.
  • Options
    Thought some of you would be interested in this article which includes additional details about the seller and his Upper Deck Exquisite auctions as well as the buyer of the $62,100 card.

Plus, details on the seller's next auction are included...

-Bob
    TradingCardCentral.com - THE resource for trading card collectors.

TradingCardCentral.com covers sports cards, non-sports cards and collectibles and features the latest industry news, articles, product reviews, forums, giveaways and a growing number of collector resources.
  • Options
    pandrewspandrews Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭
    thanks for the link.. hey, the Louisiana guy has money to spend, so more power to him to buy whatever he wants.. not me, though..
    ·p_A·
  • Options
    Aside from where it came from and who is selling it, does anyone here wonder why this card is selling for so much?? it's an ugly card. It isn't augraphed, it has 2 small less than flattering pictures of, granted, very good basketball players. And 2 NBA patches from a "Game Used Jersey". First of all, UD's credibility with me is teatering on the edge and I wonder if they did come from a game worn jersey after all. And even if they did, you could very easily buy a full game worn jersey probably autographed for much less. Complete with the stupid patches. The only think that is being paid for here really the Name "Upper Deck" and "Exquisite" and the patches arranged by a less than talented layout designer.

My 2 Cents

-- Kevin
  • Options
    What is the Jordan/Lebron autoed patch cards he also pulled?
  • Options
    jrdolanjrdolan Posts: 2,549 ✭✭
    If it is a PR stunt, as someone suggested, you'd think UD would be smart enough to send the cards to more than one dealer. I mean, why bother doing that? It's going to get pulled anyway and still generate the same excitement. If the conspiracy theory is correct, there has to be more to it. I agree that coincidence is a little hard to swallow.
  • Options
    kobykoby Posts: 1,699 ✭✭
    Thanks for the link to the story TCC. I find it interesting that the guy who purchased the Lebron/Kobe card for $60000 does not even collect sportscards.