Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

52T Mantle Auction Results PSA, GAI & BVG 5's

This is kind of interesting. Three 1952 Topps Mickey Mantle graded 5's closed on ebay this week. One would automatically assume that the PSA 5 would garner the highest price. But, in fact, the BVG did:
52T PSA 5 - 5600$
52T GAI 5 - 6600$
52T BVG 5 - 8000$
I brought this up not to debate the relative merits of the different grading companies as such but to look at the fact that a BVG 5 brought some pretty good dough. I think centering plays a heavy role now on ebay with regards to vintage - in this case the PSA 5 centering was poor and it has a qualifier. I think this is interesting in terms of results, centering and qualifier notwithstanding.

Stone
edit: I think the PSA 5 would have grabbed the most dough if it were a straight 5 with OK centering.
Mike

Comments

• Options
    envoy98envoy98 Posts: 4,000 ✭✭
    While I am surprised the PSA didn't garner the most money, the centering is quite a bit worse, and the PSA also has an MK qualifier. Otherwise, I think it surely would have been closer if not beaten the GAI. The beckett one might have had very strong or at least one very strong subgrade...? That seems to play a huge role when comparing even one bgs graded card to another.
  • Options
    qualitycardsqualitycards Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭
    STONE - In registry tems a PSA-5 w/ a qualifier gets demoted 2 grades to a PSA-3, with that said, the PSA card didn't do too bad w/ the 2 other cards...jay
  • Options
    NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭
    Comparing a qualified card price to an unqualified one is comparing apples to oranges. A 5 (MK) is treated by the reigstry as a 3, and many collectors will not touch a MK card. IMO it is the single most "kiss of death" qualifier.

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>, and the PSA also has an MK qualifier. >>

Envoy
    I just edited and realized I left that out of the discussion before I saw your post. I agree with what you say. I do think that 8 grand for the BVG is pretty good, don't you?
    Mike
    You guys are really fast! I should have previewed this first to make sure I put all my info in - I agree with the qualifier stuff - mainly, I'm bringing this up for the other two on ebay and the results of the BVG.
    thanx for responding guys.
    Before anyone posted, I had edited my remarks to include that if the PSA 5 were not MK and centered better, it would have probably brought the most money.
    Mike
  • Options
    MorrellManMorrellMan Posts: 3,238 ✭✭✭

<< <i>This is kind of interesting. Three 1952 Topps Mickey Mantle graded 5's closed on ebay this week. One would automatically assume that the PSA 5 would garner the highest price. But, in fact, the BVG did. >>

....and rightly so - it's the nicest of the 3!
    Mark (amerbbcards)

"All evil needs to triumph is for good men to do nothing."
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    ouch that psa 5 mk is lucky it didnt also get the oc qualifier...
    Good for you.
  • Options
    Mike, these all were sold by the same low-feedback seller that doesn't take PayPal. I'm not sure if any of them were legit - if they were legit - he should have had them consigned. A BVG 4.5 just went for 7799.99 from a high feedback, PayPal accepting seller this is way too high IMO.

The GAI 5 was a good deal IMO if it is legit - the other's about average.

Brian
  • Options

<< <i>....and rightly so - it's the nicest of the 3! >>

Mark
    I agree, this was a nice card.

Boy, I thought there was no one around and I post this and more people responded in 10 seconds than I would have ever dreamed. I did a poor job of writing and not editing - left out the stuff about the qualifiers - that wasn't my point - I think I have made it a bit more clear - just looking for some talk about the different results.

<< <i>A BVG 4.5 just went for 7799.99 from a high feedback, PayPal accepting seller this is way too high IMO. >>

Brian
    I saw that one also, thanx for bring it up and yes, I agree with you also. This has been a good week for the Mick. And I do think that some bargains were gotten this week - as you say, if legit.
    Mike
    Mike
  • Options

<< <i>ouch that psa 5 mk is lucky it didnt also get the oc qualifier... >>

Steve
    Again - IMO, that should get a qualifier even in a 5 but they allow 85/15 at that grade.

My impression has been that people are looking for really good centering on vintage. The current set I am collecting, I have seen PSA 8's with no qualifiers go WITHOUT bids due to near the envelope grading on the part of PSA. People know what they want.

Mike
    Mike
  • Options
    wolfbearwolfbear Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭

The GAI looks a bit better to me than the BVG. Less of a tilt.
    That PSA card is not even in the same ball park.

For the quality of the actual cards vs the prices realized,
    I'd have to say PSA came out a big winner, and GAI came out a big loser.

Conclusion : buy cards graded by GAI ... they're a great bargin ... image

Pix of 'My Kids'

"How about a little fire Scarecrow ?"
  • Options

<< <i><< ouch that psa 5 mk is lucky it didnt also get the oc qualifier... >> >>

A card can only be designated w/ 1 qualifier on it. And the "mk" will win everytime. Even when I request "No Qualifiers" on my submissions, they will lower the "oc" cards to the approriate grade but will always leave the "mk" designation on the card if there is a mark on it. Even PSA-1's & 2's can have "mk" qualifiers...jay
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i><< ouch that psa 5 mk is lucky it didnt also get the oc qualifier... >> >>

A card can only be designated w/ 1 qualifier on it. And the "mk" will win everytime. Even when I request "No Qualifiers" on my submissions, they will lower the "oc" cards to the approriate grade but will always leave the "mk" designation on the card if there is a mark on it. Even PSA-1's & 2's can have "mk" qualifiers...jay >>

Wow, I didn't know that Jay. "MC" usually kills a card so is it better to doodle on the back and get a "MK" instead to appease the people who buy the holder and not the card. image

....Sorry for hijacking your thread Stone....
    Brian
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    i would think that MK is the worst possible qualifier then MC then OC and ST..........I have seen cards with the ST qualifier yet I can barely see the slight wax stain on the back. I also read in Psa standards that a certain amt of wax stain is allowed yet I have gotten back a card 69 mantle WL with the dreaded ST qualifier on it and for the life of me need a magnifying glass to see the slight wax......

I knew that only 1 qualifier per card I was just funning...
    Good for you.
  • Options
    ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭
    While echoing everyone's thoughts on this, I think it is a testament to PSA's rep that an ugly, O/C PSA 5 with the kiss of death MK qualifier still brought $5600. The GAI card looks a lot better, and only brought $1000 more?
  • Options
    Attention Everyone!

You guys are really on tops of things tonite! Now this is something you ALL wouldn't mind being....hmmmm.

Stone(d) and loving it!
    Mike
  • Options
    kobykoby Posts: 1,699 ✭✭
    The PSA card is way OC and has an MK qualifier. Someone paid way too much.

The GAI card looks the best. I am surprised that it went for only $1K more than the PSA card.
  • Options
    Now that, is a PSA 10 Gem Mint! image
  • Options
    Well the auctions were private, which is another red flag, and we don’t know the type of people who bid. But I think that the “Johnny Q Public” new bidders don’t know nearly as much about GAI as PSA. If both of these cards were auctioned off by someone with higher feedback, I think that more of the “big boys” would have bid and it would have had much different outcomes, namely, thousands more for the GAI and a little more for the Beckett.

Brian

edited to add nice post Stone!
  • Options

<< <i>Now that, is a PSA 10 Gem Mint >>

CT
    I Agree!!!
    Charlie Sheen may have sold off his complete memorabilia collection, but he definitely saved the best.
    Mike
    edit:

<< <i>Sorry for hijacking your thread Stone.... >>

Don't think so Brian - your points are part and parcel of the discussion of graded cards for sale on ebay and that was my whole point tonite - to get some conversation going. Thanx, Mike
    Mike
  • Options
    A761506A761506 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭
    I track 52 Mantle auctions regularly on the website I run... I e-mailed that seller while the auction was running to ask for pictures of the cards in the slabs while he was holding them in his hands but got no reply. I highly doubt these cards actually were possessed by the seller who auctioned them off. I think it was just one of the many 52 Mantle scams on E-bay.

As a matter of a fact, including these cards, only taking into account auctions for the 52 Topps Mantle that ended during the month of June, $76,460 worth of fakes/non-existant cards were sold on E-bay. 61 seperate sales, an average of $1,253 a card. It's pretty consistent from month to month also.

The biggest seller of these is sanfranciscobaytrading. He runs at least one a week, shills the heck out of his own auctions, which are private of course, and always gets closing prices in the $1-3K range for obvious fakes. I am pretty sure he is also the same person as calisurf11, who has been buying up fakes but for significantly less than what he can sell them for once he runs up the price.
  • Options
    BRIAN & STEVE - I don't think that PSA uses "mc" anymore. They just return the card ungraded and send you a voucher. It just happened w/ me w/ a T206 card that was miscut top to bottom, I figured if it was slabbed w/ any grade it would be worth more then raw....jay
  • Options
    MorrellManMorrellMan Posts: 3,238 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I track 52 Mantle auctions regularly on the website I run... I e-mailed that seller while the auction was running to ask for pictures of the cards in the slabs while he was holding them in his hands but got no reply. I highly doubt these cards actually were possessed by the seller who auctioned them off. I think it was just one of the many 52 Mantle scams on E-bay.

As a matter of a fact, including these cards, only taking into account auctions for the 52 Topps Mantle that ended during the month of June, $76,460 worth of fakes/non-existant cards were sold on E-bay. 61 seperate sales, an average of $1,253 a card. It's pretty consistent from month to month also.

The biggest seller of these is sanfranciscobaytrading. He runs at least one a week, shills the heck out of his own auctions, which are private of course, and always gets closing prices in the $1-3K range for obvious fakes. I am pretty sure he is also the same person as calisurf11, who has been buying up fakes but for significantly less than what he can sell them for once he runs up the price. >>

Awesome info here - this is fascinating! Sounds like you ARE the '52 Mantle Bureau of Investigation. Tell us more.image
    Mark (amerbbcards)

"All evil needs to triumph is for good men to do nothing."
  • Options
    SoFLPhillyFanSoFLPhillyFan Posts: 3,931 ✭✭
    Josh -

Can you give us a link to your website Mantle info.

The card page for your MSU site does not come up.

Thanks.
  • Options
    A761506A761506 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭
    Here's a link to the Mantle site I run. In order for me to be able to do this, and waste as much time as I have spent on it, and offset my web hosting costs, I normally sell access to it through E-bay for $10. But, since the board members here are mostly top experts, much of this information is probably known, so enjoy.

1952 Topps Mantle Guide
  • Options

<< <i>much of this information is probably known, so enjoy. >>

Thanx, Josh
    I knew if I threw out some auction activity that possibly an informative discussion would come of it. There was a discussion about the 52T Mantle months ago detailing some of the minor differences in print runs on the card if I remember. There are tons of reprints/counterfeits on ebay - that is discussed on a regular basis - but as you say - more bad than good ones are being sold and these guys are flying under the radar screen of any true law enforcement. It's people like the ones on the board who, at least, try to put a dent in their activity by reporting to ebay.
    Thanx, again, for everyones input.
    Mike
    Mike
  • Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,094 ✭✭✭✭✭
    IMHO, the GAI 5 is the best one of the three. The PSA 5 is horribly OC with an MK qualifier, and the BVG 5 has a diamond cut. I agree with those that said the GAI 5 was a bargain. The PSA 5MK brought only $300 more than I paid last fall for a beautiful, well centered PSA 3 shot 4 on ebay.

Steve
  • Options
    Without a doubt, that is a nice and informative site on the history of the '52 Mantle. Thanks for letting us have a look at it.
  • Options
    The BVG does look like the best card and should cross into a PSA holder if thats what the new owner was thinking.
  • Options
    EagleEyeKidEagleEyeKid Posts: 4,496 ✭✭
    A76 , that was very interesting read. Great guide! What happens if a company like the example shown (from PRO Choice Grading) grades a fake? Does the buyer have any recourse in recooping his money from the basement operated graders? I know if I was the buyer of that card and just learned/saw what I just did, I would completely lose it.
  • Options

<< <i>Does the buyer have any recourse in recooping his money from the basement operated graders? >>

EagleEye
    This grading company's website is about as vague as it gets. With that in mind, you can pretty much figure the guarantee, or lack of it, is about as good as the card encapsulated.
    Mike
    Mike
  • Options
    EagleEyeKidEagleEyeKid Posts: 4,496 ✭✭
    Stone, what would you do if you found out you bought a fake from them (slabbed wise)? Yeah, I think we covered quite a bit on another thread about ProChoice. They're the ones with the hotmail address for email (can't even get their own domain); and used to use 4 screwdown holders with hologram stickers. Can't they still be liable for slabbing fakes?
  • Options

<< <i>Stone, what would you do if you found out you bought a fake from them (slabbed wise)? >>

EagleEye
    I let my brother Mickey do my talkin' for me. These guys would be sleepin' with the fishes!

Stone
    Mike
  • Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,094 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the link to your website Josh. I just read thru it and the information on it is great. I learned alot that I didn't know about the cardimage

Steve