Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Help With Describing A Merc Dime

I just purchased a Mercury Dime at the Midwest Coin Show in Chicago. I looked at it at the show and it looked like the silvery/white beauties that I have in my collection already. You know, the ones that look like they were minted yesterday! Anyway, I put this coin along-side with the rest of them and it is slightly different in color. It is graded by PCGS at MS66FB but the color still looks silver but a slightly darker silver. Is there a word that everyone uses to describe such a coin? It is silver but ever so slightly darker than the rest! A great looking coin.....looks like it was minted yesterday! Let me know of descriptions that might qualify! Thanks from Mike...............

Comments

• Options
    FairlanemanFairlaneman Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Slight tint of Blue ? If so I call it Gun Metal.
  • Options
    No Blue.............just a very slight "darker" silver........Its funny .....I line them up and they are all about the same.....silver/white.....and this one is just a tad darker......so it is noticeable! Just trying to figure what to call it. There must be some word that has been used before??
  • Options
    sumduncesumdunce Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭✭
    The alloy could have been slightly off.

The surface granularity could be different. A strike on a fresh die set will not have the same cartwheel luster compared to that of an old set of dies.

There could be microscopic flecks on the coin (toning) which cause the darker appearance.

• Options
    Mercs generally don't have cartwheel luster... just describe it as being a fresh white coin.
    -George
    42/92
  • Options
    FairlanemanFairlaneman Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Mercs generally don't have cartwheel luster... just describe it as being a fresh white coin. >>

• Options
    JrGMan2004JrGMan2004 Posts: 7,557
    Not in the sense that we usually think of with Morgans and Walkers image But if you disagree... image
    -George
    42/92
  • Options
    gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mikesp1
    Can you post a picture?
    Al