Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

OT: Web site virus

Does anyone know anything about this? It sounds like a virus attacks a website,and then attacks your computer. It sounds bad to me.

Comments

• Options
    AknotAknot Posts: 1,196 ✭✭
    Need a link or more information.
  • Options
    SoFLPhillyFanSoFLPhillyFan Posts: 3,931 ✭✭
    Did not read it yet, but here is a CNN story.

Website vrus
  • Options
    Thanks for the info. I updated my Norton's just to be sure.

Looking for 81-84 Topps Stickers in PSA 9 or better, 81 Topps Scratch offs, 83 Topps Fold outs in PSA 8 or better, 83 Fleer Stamps and 81/86 Fleer Star Stickers in PSA 9 or better.
    >

• Options

Yeah that's bad. You can get infected by just going to the infected website.

Even those popular antivirus software can't protect PCs from virus,worm,etc. Last year I bought a norton sys pro & norton firewall 6 mos after firewall started to go crazy then 2 month after my antivirus section hanged. Uninstall/reintall the programs but gave me the same problems. I'm on auto protect and auto update. I did not renew my subscription anymore.

I found a free antivirus program. Download, install and scan my computer. The program found 3 worms in my PC!! I had the program get rid of those files. Got rid of the 2 files. The program can't get access to the 3rd infected file. I open norton and to my surprise it started working (antivirus and firewall). Norton did not detect the worms and these worms must be the one causing the norton to hang. I tried full scan to see if norton could detect the 3rd infected file but did not. I turn off norton and got rid of the 3rd infected file (Norton's protecting that file). I even went to their website to scan my PC but norton found nothing.

RIP Snow
  • Options
    MrMooMrMoo Posts: 199
    I also sugest Ad-aware and SpywareBlaster. Great for keeping stuff you don't want off.
  • Options
    CariconCaricon Posts: 819 ✭✭
    Yes, get Ad-aware. It finds a lot of the tracking bots that get on your computer by
    just going to a site. Norton and other virus programs won't find these, since they
    are not a real virus, but just a tracking software to let other people know where you
    have been so they can email you spam on things you might like. Just run those programs
    that find them and they will remove it. I did hear something on the news today about
    some virus that comes thru like the tracker programs attached to websites but haven't
    checked it out yet.
  • Options
    norton's internet security works great. gives you security and a firewall, beyond the normal virus protection
  • Options
    Spyware Nuker is pretty good as well to help Nortons

Looking for 81-84 Topps Stickers in PSA 9 or better, 81 Topps Scratch offs, 83 Topps Fold outs in PSA 8 or better, 83 Fleer Stamps and 81/86 Fleer Star Stickers in PSA 9 or better.
    >

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,354 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My computer which is new was running really bad and my friend downloaded Lavasoft for free and found all kinds of junk - the free version of Lavasoft by Ad- aware as you all have said really worked well. The computer was crashing on a regular basis prior to installing this. I will tell that it took him over an hour to clean out the computer. Good info guys - thanx Metsfan for bringing this up for those who are not taking as much precaution as they should.
    Mike
    Mike
  • Options
    speederspeeder Posts: 819
    if you want to know if your computer has been infected

go to search

files and folders

on drive C

type in, kk32.dll, hit search

another one is, surf.dat, hit search

this will not prevent anything, but it will tell you that if you have either one or both of the files (kk32.dll or surf.dat) on your computer
    your computer is infected. you will then need to contact a virus protection company.
  • Options
    I now use avast. FREE home version. You need to register to get free updates of program and virus database.
    RIP Snow