Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Question About Upper Deck Basketball Cards

Hello I am new here and could use a little help.....

I won an auction last night Ebay item #5102842178 and was wondering where I could go about finding info on these cards. I knew this
was their Inaugural Edition for basketball but have never seen them with the wooden box. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance. These message boards are an awesome source of info. Thank You to those who make it happen.

Buy or Trade KOBE's

Comments

• Options
    pandrewspandrews Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭
    I dont know anything about it, I never knew they issued it in a wooden box.. but its very nice!

edited to add link
    ·p_A·
  • Options
    That is pretty nice. I never knew they put that out either, and I sold at least six tons of that stuff.....I used a great deal of what I didn't sell to kindle the wood stove when I lived in Maine...LOL. That's a nice buy. Enjoy.

Hey, haven't you and I gone head to head bidding on 03-04 Chrome basketball/ 03 Contemporary Collection boxes?

Nice to see you. Thanks for coming to the board.
  • Options

Thank You! I just love these...I was ecstatic when I got them for $50.00. Unfortunately I have been unable to find any info at all about these cards. I have been looking on the net off and on today and nada I hate when I cant find what I am looking for!!

Yeah I guess that was me and you that went head 2 head on those chrome's!! I think it worked out though....we both got one, Right?!?

Buy or Trade KOBE's
  • Options
    NBAFanNBAFan Posts: 744
    I remember those sets, they used to be hot, but now they are not. The only thing good left from that year were Jordan Holograms.
  • Options

<< <i>I remember those sets, they used to be hot, but now they are not. The only thing good left from that year were Jordan Holograms. >>

How many do you want?
  • Options

<< <i>I remember those sets, they used to be hot, but now they are not. The only thing good left from that year were Jordan Holograms. >>

do you actually remember the sets in wooden boxes? I doubt it..

I cant imagine them ever being "hot", as I have never seen one until now.. its a very nice set, "Hot" or not..
    ·p_A·
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll tell you what I do remember. The hype over LJ and Mutumbo. I bought 5 boxes at the PX and thought I hit the motherload. I'm a collector and wish I were a seller back then - coulda made some dough. But now I have kindling for the "Day After"! Or if hell freezes over!
    Mike
    Mike
  • Options
    on the subject of LJ, some guy in australia recently bought every Larry Johnson card I had (approx 20 of them).. he paid .99cents plus global priority shipping to Australia.. =) I think I coulda got more back in 91-92.. image

I've noticed Aussies must be BIG basketball fans, as I've sent several B-Ball items down under..
    ·p_A·
  • Options
    coachhcoachh Posts: 529
    Bballfan. If you do not mind my asking, why did you pick that icon?
  • Options
    DirtyHarryDirtyHarry Posts: 1,914 ✭✭
    LJ's offspring are ubiquitous. Must be a few down under.
    "A man's got to know his limitations...." Dirty Harry

Unfocused, impulsive collector of everything ...
  • Options

<< <i>Bballfan. If you do not mind my asking, why did you pick that icon? >>

No I dont mind you asking. Two reasons really

1. I live in Kansas City and a HUGE Chiefs fan
    2. My name is Josh so I thought it was fitting

On the LJ/Mutombo issue I have always thought LJ was HIGHLY overrated......but I thought over the years Dikembe proved he was the man.....atleast in the paint. Not gonna give you big points but I would take him solely for his D!!

Buy or Trade KOBE's
  • Options
    NBAFanNBAFan Posts: 744
    I remember people searching packs from that year too. Scratching the pack to see if there was a hologram.

I didn't mean the Jordan Holograms are great, I meant they are really the only thing that Books.

I remember pulling a Derrick Coleman Rookie Standouts when it booked for $6. Woohoo and I only paid $.99 for the pack.

That entire set turned out to be a joke. Heck, the wooden box is probably worth more than the entire set.
  • Options
    I was wondering because I uploaded it. I coach in St. Louis and it is our school logo. Glad you like it.
  • Options
    kobykoby Posts: 1,699 ✭✭
    I collected UD basketball in 91-92 and this is the first time I have seen that wooden box. Is it something UDA created long after distribution?
  • Options

coachh Thanx for the personalized logo! That is kinda of funny I was just rolling thru the icons and couldnt pass that one up.

I have never ever seen this set in the box like that. The guy I used to purchase cards from in my teenage years said he had seen one but didnt know any specifics. My girlfriend is trying to tell me I got burnt....I dont think I did though!!

Buy or Trade KOBE's
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>My girlfriend is trying to tell me I got burnt....I dont think I did though!! >>

I don't think so either in a sense that it is a pretty cool item from the first year UD did bkb cards - it would be nice if the set were more collectible but I like the box - when you get it, if you have a digital camera, could you take a pic of the inside and how the cards are packaged? Also, they don't say what is in the box? Just the set, the complete set of holo's? Rookie SO's? This could be a great set from an historical point of view? How many were done? Suggestion: email UD and see what they have to say?
    Also, does anyone have any old UD catalogs from the early 90's - I do, but am clueless right now where they might be. Also, I think I remember the Mutumbo and LJ cards booking at about 15-20$ a piece early on?
    Thanx for bringing this up Bkbfan.
    Mike
    Mike
  • Options

Yes I will take a good picture of the box when I get it and post it here or will email to anyone who is interested. I think I am going to leave everything in the box and leave it shrinkwrapped. This will be one that hits the safety deposit box and gets forgotten about!

If I dont have any info by the end of the day I am going to email Upper Deck.

Thanks to all who have replied

Buy or Trade KOBE's
  • Options
    bballfan

If you email me your address I will see if I can't send you a helmet decal of your logo.

Coach

rehmlh@yahoo.com
  • Options

E-mail sent to Upper Deck. I hope it doesnt take like a 2 weeks to hear back from them......

Kinda like waiting for a pot of coffee to finish in the morning....tick-tock tick-tock

Buy or Trade KOBE's
  • Options
    hey, i am new here also. it just so happened that when i was trying to find out info on the same set of cards, i found this site with your question on it. anyhow, i have a set of these cards sealed in a wooden box. never opened, so i am not for sure what all is inside. i would also like to know about this set so if and when you find out anything would you please post it. thanx so much
  • Options

<< <i>hey, i am new here also. it just so happened that when i was trying to find out info on the same set of cards, i found this site with your question on it. anyhow, i have a set of these cards sealed in a wooden box. never opened, so i am not for sure what all is inside. i would also like to know about this set so if and when you find out anything would you please post it. thanx so much >>

Could this have been a QVC or HSN item back then?
  • Options
    i really cant remember. however i found the set in a tote with some upper deck 8.5x11 blow up cards (limited edition through 2500)(kind of a low number), i know that i ordered all of those (different stars, different sports) through qvc one night when they were having an upper deck special (i believe offered only through qvc but unsure) and i was very new to the business (didnt realize to put my money away-instead of wasting it) so i am really thinking that it all came from qvc. sorry, so long ago. i am also trying to find out about those blow up cards if anyone knows anything (worth or non-worth) most are not opened so i dont know the numbers. i came across a ton of cards (over 500 thousand), plaques, photos, autograghs, pucks, unusual items, etc. SO much stuff i had forgotten about. i am not for sure what to do with it all, or where to find out what (if any) is the worth. i will through the tote again to see if maybe i can find out more info a invoice or something on the wooden boxed set. bye for now