Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Safe Deposit Box Removes Toning! Details at 11

topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

Comments

• Options
    nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,387 ✭✭✭
    Uh, sure. That can happen. image In any case, looks like a nice coin.
  • Options
    LAWMANLAWMAN Posts: 1,278
    "has faded, do to the dry conditiona of the vault. There remains only a hint of the blue toning, yet there is still some gold arount the rim."

The seller can't spell worth a damn either.

Arount and arount I go, do to the force of gravity.

That would be the first case of toning I ever heard of which faded due to the dry condition of the vault or any other reason other than

D-I-P-P-I-N-G
    DSW
  • Options
    isnt that kinda like something un-rusting itself ?
  • Options
    Rob790Rob790 Posts: 547
    After blue toning is silver toning, so the toning has just progressed to the next stage. After that it will turn a yellow then reddish color. Nothing unusual about this, the toning has not just disappeared just continued toning in the safety deposit box.
  • Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Actually not a bad looking coin at all. Looks like a 63/64 coin with only the weak strike being the only real negative for the coin. Nice luster as indeed original.

The blue the seller remembers may be due to faed memory or it has progressed toning wise to the golden color etc. just like Rob790 indicated.
    A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • Options
    Conder101Conder101 Posts: 10,536

<< <i>or it has progressed toning wise to the golden color etc >>

Not possible since the gold toning forms first and then proceeds to blue as the toning layer thickens.
  • Options
    PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭
    So when a coin tones over time it goes gold-blue-silver-yellow-red?
    Whats after red? Why do some turn black?
  • Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,761 ✭✭✭✭
    Actually, I like the look of that coin.

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    Rob790Rob790 Posts: 547

<< <i>So when a coin tones over time it goes gold-blue-silver-yellow-red?
    Whats after red? Why do some turn black? >>

Ok, here is a brief description of the color progression as the film grows thicker:

Yellow - Burgandy - Dark Blue - Lite Blue - Silver - Yellow - Red - Blue - Green - Yellow - Red - Green ....

Now, the colors <Yellow - Red - Green> keep repeating with more and more grey after each repeat until it turns black because now the film no longer shows an interference effect but the inherent color of the oxide (being black).
  • Options
    XpipedreamRXpipedreamR Posts: 8,059 ✭✭
    Despite the guy's goofy explanation...I think the coin look great! So much Barber stuff is dull and crappy. I'd buy it in a sec if I had the $$$ to spare.
  • Options
    mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    I gotta go check my coins since I live in the dessert where it be dry here to.
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file