Home Q & A Forum
Options

The good ol' days.......

SethChandlerSethChandler Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭✭
David,

When was the most fun for you in relation to your association with coins?

.....when you started out as a dealer.......1980 bull market.......when you started PCGS.......your days as a beginning collector........ ?????

Seth
Collecting since 1976.

Comments

• Options
    homerunhallhomerunhall Posts: 2,498 ✭✭✭
    Hi Seth,

There have been so many great periods...

1. In the early 60s as a teenager, I used to hustle the bid boards...buying from one and selling on another. I bought proof sets and cut them up and sold singles on the bid boards. It was a different time, every town had a corner coin store...there were three coin shops in downtown Santa Ana.

2. When I first traveled the National coin show circuit, in 1972/73...that was an exciting time...the first time I bought expensive coins. I remember buying an XF 1796 quarter for $4500. One of the first expensive coins I bought was a Higley copper. I bought it from Julian Leidman for $16,000 I believe. It was a great time...there were a lot of Gem coins around then. Guys like Hank Rodgers, William Hall (no relation), and William Mitkoff had cases full of Gem Type coins. Guys like Julian, Joe Flynn, Fred Sweeney, Mike Brownlee, etc. had power rarities at the shows. Guys like Jim Halperin, Steve Ivy, and David Hall were just starting out.

3. When PCGS was launched in late 1985/early 1986, I remember waking up very early every morning to go to work. It was really exciting. Seemed like we worked 24 hours a day.

4. And I like things now. I'm going to the coin shows more. I really enjoy talking to collectors at the shows and PCGS Invitationals and I love to look at great coins and collections.

I have an Uncle who used to ask me..."Now this coin thing...can you work full time at it?...Is there enough work to do?" I still can't believe how lucky I am that my Grandmother was a coin collector and got me started.

Thanks,

David