Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1991 Topps Desert Shield cards

Anybody know how to tell a counterfeit from the real thing? I've been buying a few lately.. the only thing I notice is that one of the cards i got today has more of a "bronze" tone to the "Desert Shield" stamp than the others, which have a "gold" tone.. ?
·p_A·

Comments

• Options
    CON40CON40 Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭
    I have not heard about tints in the foil before, but I have heard that on the counterfeits is that the coconuts on the tree are generally filled in and barely visible. On the real cards the coconuts are visible as 3 little circles (maybe two).

I hope you have the real thing!
  • Options
    envoy98envoy98 Posts: 4,000 ✭✭
    Here is an article I found on the Beckett site. Hope it helps.

1991 Topps Desert Shield Counterfeits
  • Options
    pandrewspandrews Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the help, guys! from the information yall have given me, I think all mine are legit.. (i hope so - they'll eventually be slabbed or rejected)..

But my John Kruk still has a bronze tint to it.. =)
    ·p_A·
  • Options
    schr1stschr1st Posts: 1,677 ✭✭
    If I'm not mistaken, the best way to tell is the bottom point of the shield. It it's more rounded, it's legit, if it's narrow and "sharp" it is a fake. I could be wrong though.
    Who is Rober Maris?
  • Options

I have attached two photos below the Bonds card.... One is a Counterfeit Chipper card and the other is a real PSA 8 Chipper card...

Thanks,

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Hello,

1991 Topps Desert Shield Baseball Cards - Gold Seal in Top Right Corner of cards.

We will pay top dollar for all PSA 9 & 10 cards.

We want all stars and commons. If you any cards... please email me.
    THANKS,

...1991 TOPPS Desert Shield Baseball Card Collector
    .....Since 1991 HOOAH!

S1991TOPPS@aol.com ">myemailaddress
  • Options
    wow, i started this thread almost a year ago.. it has been given new life!

thanks for the scans,
    ·p_A·
  • Options
    bobsbbcardsbobsbbcards Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭
    There's a very nice article in this month's issue of SMR by Kevin Saucier that give a good description of various counterfeit versions. Good reading, very informative, and the card pictures are beautifully scanned. image
  • Options

<< <i>There's a very nice article in this month's issue of SMR by Kevin Saucier that give a good description of various counterfeit versions. Good reading, very informative, and the card pictures are beautifully scanned. image >>

i agree Bob, i read it, and its a great article..
    ·p_A·
  • Options
    JonBJonB Posts: 495
    Weird... I was just reading over that article while in the "office" this morning. But yes, its a very good article.

The sad part is, I'm now at the real office early on a Saturday morning image
  • Options
    boggs301012boggs301012 Posts: 1,135 ✭✭

<< <i>Weird... I was just reading over that article while in the "office" this morning. But yes, its a very good article. >>

And now your are slacking......back to work or you will be there all day. image
    x
  • Options
    Are there any links to that article?
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Are there any links to that article? >>

sammy
    It's a magazine.

Stone
    Mike
  • Options
    phreakydancinphreakydancin Posts: 1,691 ✭✭