Home Q & A Forum
Options

Capped Bust Half-Dimes

Hi David, and thank you for the Q&A answers.

I wanted to know your opinion of Capped Bust Half-Dimes. These little coins have recently caught my interest. I'm working towards more than just the date set, trying to collect the different die marriages. I've already bought the Logan/McCloskey Half-Dime book, and it has been a great source of information, as well as the B&M catalog for the sale of Logan's collection.

I wanted to know your thoughts of these coins. I feel that they are an underrated series, and that even a small increase in demand, would increase prices, because of the limited supply, especially of original pieces that haven't been dipped or otherwise messed with. My target grade range has been VF coins with nice original color, which is where it seems more of the nicely greyed coins fall, and also falls right in my price range for my budget. As well as the thrill of the hunt, looking for nice original pieces.

I also noticed the recent addition of a completed set in the Registry of MS64+ coins. I've attached pictures of two I have, which I really enjoy, because of their nice color. Thanks again David.

1834 LM-2, R-3, I grade VF30
imageimage

1832 LM-12, R-2, I grade VF20
imageimage
-George
42/92

Comments

• Options
    homerunhallhomerunhall Posts: 2,498 ✭✭✭
    When I used to sell circ type coins in 1972 I remember that the Bust Half Dime was always the hardest coin to find in quantity. I also remember how Hank Rodgers used to help people put together Gem date sets. I love the series and feel they are very underpriced. If I had the time and money I would certainly put together a Registry set, either Basic or With Varieties. I'm not much a fan of the complete die varieties, that's pretty esoteric.

Thanks,

David